Revealing Abs

dpr73
dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
So I have done a few tiny bulk and cuts over the years l. I normally am at 138lbs and will bulk to just over 146 with a slight surplus (2500-2700) for around 5 months and then will naturally come back down to 138 over a few months after decreasing the deficit down to a reasonable number of calories (about 2200-2300).
I am largely pleased with where my body is, but I am sick of not having abs. I work them out weekly with weights and various exercises but they don't seem to come. People have told me that they don't work nearly as hard as I on lifting and nutrition yet they have abs and I can't get them to show.

A little background: I was once on the pudgy side (205 at 5'7) when I was younger. After getting to college I lost the weight to around 138 and maintained for four years since, with the only exception being these planned mini bulks. As a result, I do have loose skin. It is nothing crazy but I can pull my skin very far and if I pull the skin down I can see all of my abs. Most people find it so freaky haha.

So long story short, I expect I am around 10% BF cause there really isn't much fat on me and I am quite vascular in my arms. I also do not have fat in the abdominal region. I believe the culprit to my invisible abs is my slightly looser skin which keeps the abs from showing. For this reason,my initial guess is that I need to grow my abs to get them, but whenever I search everyone says revealing abs is all about low body fat; however, is my situation sort of an exception? Due to my slightly lose skin, will a well planned bulk period with a small surplus reveal abs for me as the bulk will grow my abs enough to push against my body wall? Or will a serious bulk then cut be required for me as well?

I have trouble justifying a huge bulk and cut because I like my physique but do not see my abs whatsoever so I don't want to ruin what I currently have only to find that my abs simply won't show. But on the other hand, I am sick of being dissatisfied with working really hard with nutrition and the gym but not getting the final coveted result of abs.

So any opinions? I am currently 5'7 138 at 22 eating approximately 2400-2500 to try to build a bit more on my frame. My lifting schedule is five days a week: Chest/Tri, Back/Bi, Abs, Legs, Shoulders. I emphasize compound lifts like deadlifts, bench press, squats, dumbbell rows. However, I just moved so my squatting has changed from barbell squats (both back and front) to front dumbbell squats because my complimentary gym has no squat rack. I lift for about 45 mins and have a 5 minute cardio warmup. I have current pics attached--both flexing, just after eating, no gym pump.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    filbo132 wrote: »
    It could be your genetics. In my case, cutting or bulking, my legs always carry leg fat with little to no muscle definition, but my upper body is the total opposite, the leaner I get, the more muscle definition I have. In your case, it seems your genetics make it tough for your abs to pop out. After a few several bulk and cuts, they will pop up one day just like in my case with my legs. I know that Mike Matthews for example, it took him 7-8 years just to have some muscle definition on his legs....so I suspect the same will happen to me.

I agree, but I also think that 138 is still relatively small for a 5'7 male. So it's possible that more mass is going to be needed to get that ab definition. I think 150 to 155 would be a good long term goal to get to.
  • dpr73
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It could be your genetics. In my case, cutting or bulking, my legs always carry leg fat with little to no muscle definition, but my upper body is the total opposite, the leaner I get, the more muscle definition I have. In your case, it seems your genetics make it tough for your abs to pop out. After a few several bulk and cuts, they will pop up one day just like in my case with my legs. I know that Mike Matthews for example, it took him 7-8 years just to have some muscle definition on his legs....so I suspect the same will happen to me.

I agree, but I also think that 138 is still relatively small for a 5'7 male. So it's possible that more mass is going to be needed to get that ab definition. I think 150 to 155 would be a good long term goal to get to.
    Thanks for the response! I agree that I probably have different genetics. How should I go about getting up to 150-155 in the long term? Like what kind of cycle should I do and how much of a surplus over time? Should I bulk up to like 145 and then cut 5 and then back up to 150 cut 5 etc?
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    I am not an expert, but I have a little obsession with body fat % right now and compared to those "comparative tables" with pictures you can find online everywhere I would say you are not at 10 %. I would put you at 14-15%.
  • dpr73
    edited August 2017
    skymningen wrote: »
    I am not an expert, but I have a little obsession with body fat % right now and compared to those "comparative tables" with pictures you can find online everywhere I would say you are not at 10 %. I would put you at 14-15%.

I understand based on pictures that I may not be the ideal 10, but when I feel my stomach there is literally no fat. What may appear to be fat is actually grabbable skin. Like I said, i can pull this down (a very thin layer) and reveal my abs. But when I let go they don't show. I have never met another person who is able to pull skin like that.

I also had bulked to around 145 once and when I was around there, I would say I was about 14/15, those pics match that normal 15% pics that are thrown around on the internet. So the skin is what I think is the culprit overall. I just need to get a handle on how to ameliorate it.

• dpr73
    dpr73 wrote: »

Thanks for the response! I agree that I probably have different genetics. How should I go about getting up to 150-155 in the long term? Like what kind of cycle should I do and how much of a surplus over time? Should I bulk up to like 145 and then cut 5 and then back up to 150 cut 5 etc?

How long have you been training, this usually determines how much weight you should gain per month until you hit that weight.

I have been lifting consistently for four years. I lost all the weight the first year, continued lifting, "bulked" to around 147 and then went back down to 137, maintained again, then bulked up to around 145 again, weight came back down again, and now I am here. This whole time I've been lifting though.
  • dpr73

This.. I think you need more muscles to get definition. At 5'7 you're almost the same weight I am at 5'2 and a female.
    I'm new to the PT scene but I'd recommend that you'd add a little weight to your lifts and eat a little more. You don't have to do a full on dirty bulk to gain, you can do a clean one and let it happen over a long time period but I believe that a long time bulk might help you in gaining and revealing abs.

I am trying to hit a daily target to 2500 and getmy weight up. But justneed to figure out the best bulk/cut cycle from here to maintain my physique overall but while also adding the muscle slowly. Like I said, I like the current physique but want to reveal the abs, so something slow and sensible is fine with me.

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    I just think you aren't lean enough. I'm not seeing any veins, which is what I'm basing my assumption on.
  • dpr73
    pbryd wrote: »
    I just think you aren't lean enough. I'm not seeing any veins, which is what I'm basing my assumption on.
    I just think the picture doesn't do it justice cause that's definitely something I have. I can see them al up and down my arms and on my chest especially when lifting. A physician had actually recently commented on my vascularity the other day haha
  • psuLemon

How long have you been training, this usually determines how much weight you should gain per month until you hit that weight.

I have been lifting consistently for four years. I lost all the weight the first year, continued lifting, "bulked" to around 147 and then went back down to 137, maintained again, then bulked up to around 145 again, weight came back down again, and now I am here. This whole time I've been lifting though.

Have you been following a structured program or a self designed program? Can you provide some details on your training routine.

IRT how long to bulk? Well, you are pretty lean (and the exact % doesn't matter too much; although, I'd think 10% isn't very unrealistic currently) but, I'd bulk to gain 10 to 20 lbs. It largely depends on how your body responds. But I'd have a smaller surplus since you have already bulk (~10% over TDEE).
  • psuLemon
    pbryd wrote: »

Vascularity is a very poor indicator of leanness. And yes, it does pop more as you get leaner, but genetics does play a role. Hell, this guy is more lean than I am, but I have a ton of more vascularity even when I was over 20%.
  • dpr73
    edited August 2017

Have you been following a structured program or a self designed program? Can you provide some details on your training routine.

IRT how long to bulk? Well, you are pretty lean (and the exact % doesn't matter too much; although, I'd think 10% isn't very unrealistic currently) but, I'd bulk to gain 10 to 20 lbs. It largely depends on how your body responds. But I'd have a smaller surplus since you have already bulk (~10% over TDEE).

Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size or the past 9 months or so. But I am welcome to try a new lifting program if you have sugfestions. One reason I haven't done something like 5x5 training is cause I also use weight lifting as a stress release and so going to the gym for a short period of time and not getting a bigger release has been less appealing to me. But then again, I may be misunderstanding the structure of that program.

I agree that maybe 250 addition or so would be fine with me to bulk on. I plan on gaining to 145-150 and then cutting to 140 but really assessing as I go using consistent weekly progress photos. The progress photos have been an area of my previous bulk phases that I haven't kept with so well.
  • psuLemon

Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size or the past 9 months or so. But I am welcome to try a new lifting program if you have sugfestions. One reason I haven't done something like 5x5 training is cause I also use weight lifting as a stress release and so going to the gym for a short period of time and not getting a bigger release has been less appealing to me. But then again, I may be misunderstanding the structure of that program.

I agree that maybe 250 addition or so would be fine with me to bulk on. I plan on gaining to 145-150 and then cutting to 140 but really assessing as I go using consistent weekly progress photos. The progress photos have been an area of my previous bulk phases that I haven't kept with so well.

I'd definitely think you would benefit from a better designed program. Looking at the program, it's fairly low frequency and kind of a typical brosplit; at least based on that below PDF i found about it. It seems the major compound moves, you are doing once a week, which while it will work, isn't very efficient. Considering protein synthesis occurs over a 36 to 48 hour period, training major muscle groups 2 to 3 a week is ideal.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/docs/2011/shortcut-to-size-e-book.pdf

Depending if you want a four or five day program, I'd recommend looking into either PHUL or PHAT. Both has a good amount of volume and can be done in about an hour or a little after. But there are also other programs you can look at (link below) to find one that suits your personal needs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Additionally, I wouldn't really put a constraint on your weight. If you hit 150 and are still relatively lean, you can bulk a bit more. So make your weight goals a moving target and reassess every 5 to 10 lbs.
  • dpr73

I agree with everyone else, your weight is too low, I am 5'9 and around 10% bf at 156 lbs and like you, I've been lifting for 4 years....normally your end of cut range should be somewhere in the 140-150 lbs range, I would recommend you to bulk up and aim to gain about 2 lbs per month, you may even try to hit 3-4 lbs per month since you seem to have been always very very lean and haven't really bulked properly. For each year that passes in your "lifting career" , the less amount of muscles you can build (unless you are on steroids or have some amazing genetics).

I think that's my most major hangup that keeps my spinning my wheels. I keep thinking I've missed the chance to build abs and muscle because I've been going for four years now and don't want to risk finding out that's the case and then get stuck losing what I currently have. Weirdthought process I know but I think it's the major issue for me
  • psuLemon

I agree with everyone else, your weight is too low, I am 5'9 and around 10% bf at 156 lbs and like you, I've been lifting for 4 years....normally your end of cut range should be somewhere in the 140-150 lbs range, I would recommend you to bulk up and aim to gain about 2 lbs per month, you may even try to hit 3-4 lbs per month since you seem to have been always very very lean and haven't really bulked properly. For each year that passes in your "lifting career" , the less amount of muscles you can build (unless you are on steroids or have some amazing genetics).

I think that's my most major hangup that keeps my spinning my wheels. I keep thinking I've missed the chance to build abs and muscle because I've been going for four years now and don't want to risk finding out that's the case and then get stuck losing what I currently have. Weirdthought process I know but I think it's the major issue for me
    You would be surprised on how the body works. I thought that I wouldn't be able to have an athletic body if I started weight lifting at 30 years old, but I am wrong so far. I am in my mid 30's and I was still able to acheive an athletic body.... in fact, I feel much better and stronger now than I ever been in my younger years. Unless you wait to eat and train properly at 50-60 years old (you can still make some nice gains at that age though, but isn't as optimal than when you start lifting at a young age), it's definitively not too late for you to come close of hitting your maximum muscle potential.

Well even people in their 50s and 60s can do well. We have a couple that have made awesome muscle gains.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If you bulk then cut back to the same the weight every year are you actually making any progress?

If your abs aren't showing then reduce body fat more and/or train your abs