Short people get the shaft

StarvingAuthor
StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
It seems like short people are always complaining that we get the 'short' end of the stick with low calorie requirements (my BMR is like...1200 or something). Tall people on the other hand are blessed with TDEEs of 2,000+! Jerks!

But! I wonder:

Do short people actually get less hungry than tall people? Do tall people feel like their 2000+ calories are insufficient unless properly nutritionally mapped out? Are short people not really considering that tall people are hungrier than us and at the end of the day it all balances out and puts us in the same boat?

HMMM......

ETA: OK, for everyone listing their TDEE/BMR, cool, just replace the 2000+ with your number and assume that shorter people of equal activity levels are much less. :-) The question still stands, and is interesting!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    You don't have to be very tall to have a TDEE of 2000.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I'm tall and don't have a tdee of 2000+. My bmr is 1316 and I'm 5'8 and sedentary due to health issues.
  • singingflutelady
    7elizamae wrote: »
    I'm 5' 8" and maintain on about 1700 calories (middle age).
    That being said, 1700 seems like a LOT if you can only have 1200, so I feel for you.

1200 is her bmr not tdee so she can more than that
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I'm not tall and would sustain maintenance at around 2600 calories dependent on my activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    We all have it worst. That goes for each and every one of us.

But it's not just about lack of empathy, I think it's also a lack of logical thinking and understanding simple maths, like percentages.
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    OK, for everyone listing their TDEE/BMR, cool, just replace the 2000+ with your number and assume that shorter people of equal activity levels are much less. :-) The question still stands, and is interesting!

Actually no. You are 5'4 and bmr 1200s (I did the calculation and it's 1272)
    and I'm 5'8 bmr 1316. I wouldn't say yours is much less than mine.

Hmm, interesting. So it isn't actually short people who have it hard, its all equal as I assumed in my OP. At least I know I am justified in cringing at posts looking only for short women. :D
  • singingflutelady
    OK, for everyone listing their TDEE/BMR, cool, just replace the 2000+ with your number and assume that shorter people of equal activity levels are much less. :-) The question still stands, and is interesting!

Actually no. You are 5'4 and bmr 1200s (I did the calculation and it's 1272)
    and I'm 5'8 bmr 1316. I wouldn't say yours is much less than mine.

Hmm, interesting. So it isn't actually short people who have it hard, its all equal as I assumed in my OP. At least I know I am justified in cringing at posts looking only for short women. :D

It's dependent on weight so yes short people usually weight less than tall people but not always.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    At 5'3" I lose a few ounces a week when I average 1200 calories a day (before exercise), because I'm sedentary otherwise. I don't believe I was ever any less hungry than anyone who could eat a lot more than me to lose the same amount. I do think I'm less hungry than those with any calorie allowance who have a goal of losing faster since there's a bigger gap between CI and CO.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You could also say that you get to save money on food...

Well, there's that... I do often take smaller portion sizes than what's considered a single serving of starches to save calories, and I always have restaurant leftovers to cover one or two extra meals.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    My TDEE like 29 and change and I'm 6'0
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    I've seen some online calorie calculators that take height into account. As an example, suppose one person is 5'8" 140 lbs and the other is 5'3 140 lbs. The taller one would have a higher metabolism according to the calculator. I've often wondered whether that it is really true.