Short people get the shaft

Replies

• essexgirl1971
    essexgirl1971 Posts: 28 Member
    i don't think its just a case of being short or tall, i'm 5 ft and cam have up to 1700 calories a day. lots of other factors must come into it, age, muscle mass,activity levels. maybe its what you eat,i find lots of protein keeps hunger at bay . depends on what your goal is too... lose weight or maintenance
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    i don't think its just a case of being short or tall, i'm 5 ft and cam have up to 1700 calories a day. lots of other factors must come into it, age, muscle mass,activity levels. maybe its what you eat,i find lots of protein keeps hunger at bay . depends on what your goal is too... lose weight or maintenance

It's so much more than being short or tall, I'm 5'2" and thanks to my activity level I need to eat an average of 3200 Calories to maintain at 148lb, in fact I probably need more as I've lost over 1.5lb over the last couple of weeks (hopefully it'll settle soon). I've lost 140lb eating around 2000-2500 Calories a day, as my weight has dropped, I've found myself becoming steadily more active, which means I can still eat a good amount. If I sat on my bum all day then I wouldn't be able to eat nearly as much, so how many Calories I get to eat is down to me rather than my lack of height.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    ryenday wrote: »
    Yeah, Us shorties are majorly forked. Want a glass of wine once a week? Well then you can't have breakfast that day. A slice of cake on your birthday? That means no lunch since that is about ithe total calories I would allot to an entire lunch.

So we are forked but are we hungrier than our tall friends? No telling, but I doubt it. Not hungrier but short folks are much less satisfied eating within their calorie goals than taller folk, is my take on it.

I don't really drink, but last month I went out with some friends, had far more than the equivalent of a glass of wine and still lost weight without forgoing my breakfast. I have children so there are times when I'm forced to eat cake, still didn't mean I had to go without lunch to lose weight. It maybe that you are being a little too restrictive if you can't make room for a treat every now and again.
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Just to add to Ann,

I am 5'4. Awhile ago, I was 112lbs, doing a very light exercise program of squats, planks, situps; probably a 30 minute routine all in all, eating ~1400 calories or so a day.

I went through a move that was relatively strenuous, but not KILLER. I didn't have the ability to track my calories during this, but I'd guess I was around 2500+ calories per day; I really didn't care because I was trying to gain weight anyway and getting unpacked was more important to me.

I finally got my scale and weighed in at 104lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The move lasted about a week or two in all, I had hired help, and I was eating very, very generously (jars of honey, seriously). I know the movement wasn't enough to compensate for that dramatic loss considering I was eating well over my TDEE when I do heavy exercise programs faithfully (P90X).

Who knows what happened. Sometimes I wish I could emulate it...without the stress of a move! The bad news? I lost my TOM for about six months and struggled to get my weight up to a healthy range. My metabolism was just roaring for about two months.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    threec wrote: »
    I'm confused by some of the previous posts because I'm 5'2 and a half (I round up to 5'3) sw 141.1 cw is 133.7, goal is 120 and previous pre-husband, pre-kid weight was 115-120.

MFP gives me 1200 calories to lose 1.5 a week at sedentary , and Fitbit says as long as I maintain a -750 calorie deficit I should be on track for that. I try to get my TDEE up to 2200 and eat between 1250-1400 calories. Granted getting my TDEE up to that point is more difficult as a few pounds leave and I may have to be satisfied with 2000 bit it gives me room for what I want. Even if I do have to make time to work for it

That all seems reasonable, except with so little to lose and being at a healthy weight already you might not want to aim for what is 1.5-2 lb per week. I did that into the healthy zone (eventually I stopped) and part of why is that I was concerned I was losing more muscle mass than necessary (I was weight training and continued getting stronger, but a DEXA showed I had lost some muscle mass).

In any case, not sure what you are confused about, so figured I'd ask.

(My numbers are pretty similar -- when I'm as active as I like I'm around 2200 TDEE, otherwise more like 2000, 125, 5'3 (or almost), goal 118 or so, although I've not been motivated to finish and been hanging out around 125 for a while.)
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    I have to disagree. I'm 5'3, I do 1780 for maintenance which is only 20 cals less than my 5'11 counterpart. I have a glass of wine almost every night and NEVER skip a single meal. I think it's more that people are overestimating cals burnt from exercise and underestimating calories eaten. I do the opposite and it works for me. I do not think being short is a factor and if it is, it's definitely not as huge a factor as some are making it out to be.
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    threec wrote: »
    I'm confused by some of the previous posts because I'm 5'2 and a half (I round up to 5'3) sw 141.1 cw is 133.7, goal is 120 and previous pre-husband, pre-kid weight was 115-120.

MFP gives me 1200 calories to lose 1.5 a week at sedentary , and Fitbit says as long as I maintain a -750 calorie deficit I should be on track for that. I try to get my TDEE up to 2200 and eat between 1250-1400 calories. Granted getting my TDEE up to that point is more difficult as a few pounds leave and I may have to be satisfied with 2000 bit it gives me room for what I want. Even if I do have to make time to work for it

That all seems reasonable, except with so little to lose and being at a healthy weight already you might not want to aim for what is 1.5-2 lb per week. I did that into the healthy zone (eventually I stopped) and part of why is that I was concerned I was losing more muscle mass than necessary (I was weight training and continued getting stronger, but a DEXA showed I had lost some muscle mass).

In any case, not sure what you are confused about, so figured I'd ask.

(My numbers are pretty similar -- when I'm as active as I like I'm around 2200 TDEE, otherwise more like 2000, 125, 5'3 (or almost), goal 118 or so, although I've not been motivated to finish and been hanging out around 125 for a while.)

I agree I did set a super aggressive goal and I know I will loose a bit of muscle but I'll dial it back to a slower pace in a couple weeks. Just needed a kick start of sorts
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    It is HUGE factor. People who have maintenance cals around oh say above 2000k for example, could safely cut 500 calories. Someone five foot who is at maintenance around 1500-1600 cuts 500 and that's below 1200 and supposedly unsafe for any woman (no matter how tall). So we have to 1) I either work out more than taller people to cut the same amount of calories which is pointless because everyone says you still have to eat them back to stay at 1200 or 2) Just accept we can't lose it as quickly because we can't cut as many calories. Someone even with higher maintenance could cut even more aggressively reducing them to that 1200 marker (that still sticks no matter how tall someone is) and lead to even faster weight loss. No matter what we are held to that 1200 minimum and when your maintenance is so close to that already, weight loss takes much much longer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    missevil wrote: »
    Well, I'm barely 5'1 and I really do have a problem with the very low calories. Sure, I don't need so much to fuel my body, but the overall amount is so small, that there is no buffer to have something nice.

Nice and thoughtful post. I miss having the occasional cappuccino- but when I'm on my diet budget of 1200 calories I really can not afford to have one even once a week (10% of my calories for a cappuccino- not) . A piece of pizza? Lol, not likely. My taller dieting friends have to juggle calories to have a piece of pizza. I'd have to make that piece replace a whole meal and no, I certainly would not be sated that day.

Do what works for you.

I did 1250 for a while (I'm 5'3), and then I got active and starting eating more like 1600 to lose.

I definitely did not waste calories on milk in coffee on a regular basis (but I like coffee black just as much, so it would have been a waste). I also found (with 1250) that 3 meals no snacks worked best for me, but in all honesty it works best for me at maintenance with a higher cal level too.

I was generally doing 250 cal for breakfast (2 egg omelet with lots of vegetables -- pretty filling) and had about 450 left for lunch and 550 for dinner which are quite a lot if you use them sensibly.

I did not have pizza often, but one Chicago style piece (which is crazy filling) plus a salad (just vegetables) with just vinegar for dressing (or vinegar plus mustard) would fit, or even easier 2 thin crust slices (which in my mind IS a proper serving of pizza anyway) plus the salad would. It would be plenty filling until another meal (or bed if a nighttime thing), although lower protein than I like, so I'd normally plan for it when I did it.

More often I ate more plainly through the week and had one night where I'd eat a more indulgent meal (maybe pizza, but of course not a whole one, or a nice restaurant or some such). I might skip breakfast that day to have some extra calories, but having some extra workout cals on the weekend would also be helpful.
    Sated/satisfied is not the same as not hungry.

I'd say it's easy to not be hungry, being satisfied (not wanting food just because it's there) is the harder bit. I was usually satisfied, though, because I made sure to focus on eating foods I liked, prepared well, and for me I could do this without it being a huge calorie extravaganza. I just had to get over wanting to eat just because food was around and to trust my mind over my eyes on what an appropriate serving was.

However, as a short person, even at maintenance where I have a quite respectable calorie amount, I think being satisfied when others around you are eating foods that don't fit or impromptu snacking or the like is more my head trip, and that is -- as others have said -- because even if I have plenty of food not to be hungry I might enjoy eating and I have fewer calories to spare for that kind of thing compared with, say, some active young guy who has 3000. But so be it.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Well, I'm barely 5'1 and I really do have a problem with the very low calories. Sure, I don't need so much to fuel my body, but the overall amount is so small, that there is no buffer to have something nice.

Nice and thoughtful post. I miss having the occasional cappuccino- but when I'm on my diet budget of 1200 calories I really can not afford to have one even once a week (10% of my calories for a cappuccino- not) . A piece of pizza? Lol, not likely. My taller dieting friends have to juggle calories to have a piece of pizza. I'd have to make that piece replace a whole meal and no, I certainly would not be sated that day.

I did not have pizza often, but one Chicago style piece (which is crazy filling) plus a salad (just vegetables) with just vinegar for dressing (or vinegar plus mustard) would fit, or even easier 2 thin crust slices (which in my mind IS a proper serving of pizza anyway) plus the salad would. It would be plenty filling until another meal (or bed if a nighttime thing), although lower protein than I like, so I'd normally plan for it when I did it.

Giordannos delivers to Texas for the win! (Seriously, for my husbands birthday in August we had delivered a stuffed pizza in dry ice! I had one piece, did not eat the crust and gave my husband 1/2 the pepperoni.) That was so delicious! It put me over my budget that day (prob ate closer to 1400 calories that day.) and I didn't lose any weight that week so I might order another one next March for my birthday and have a slice then.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member

Giordannos delivers to Texas for the win! (Seriously, for my husbands birthday in August we had delivered a stuffed pizza in dry ice! I had one piece, did not eat the crust and gave my husband 1/2 the pepperoni.) That was so delicious! It put me over my budget that day (prob ate closer to 1400 calories that day.) and I didn't lose any weight that week so I might order another one next March for my birthday and have a slice then.

If you are trying to say that consuming 1400 calories one day put you at maintenance for the whole week then you have some logging issues or something else going on. You may be short, but even at 1400 calories I would imagine you were still in a deficit for the day. It may not have been the 500 calorie deficit that you had planned, but it certainly wouldn't have put you far enough over your TDEE to derail your whole week.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    This threads title makes me giggle every time I check the debate forum...

that is all, I will see myself out. :#

Yup. My only response...."Yeah you do!"
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    If I'm not mistaken, I think all who have chimed in with significantly higher than the typical/estimated numbers have also all been weight training for a while. I would wager that the extra lean body mass per their current weight is probably a major factor there as well - raising BMR. MFP has us enter current weight, sex, and age since the typical person doesn't actually know their LBM - so they would have to use something like the Harris-Benedict formula to estimate based on the typical person with those stats. It would definitely under-estimate for someone older that isn't a couch potato.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, I think all who have chimed in with significantly higher than the typical/estimated numbers have also all been weight training for a while. I would wager that the extra lean body mass per their current weight is probably a major factor there as well - raising BMR. MFP has us enter current weight, sex, and age since the typical person doesn't actually know their LBM - so they would have to use something like the Harris-Benedict formula to estimate based on the typical person with those stats. It would definitely under-estimate for someone older that isn't a couch potato.

I wouldn't consider the circuit training I do at home with 8-12 lbs dumbells to be in the category of weight lifting (i.e. Progressive Strength Training) the way that you probably were thinking of. I think my higher than average TDEE comes more from what @GottaBurnEmAll described - intentional effort to increase my activity, including basically not sitting down if I can absolutely help it and when I do have to (desk job at work) I try to get up and move as often as possible. My walk for exercise this morning was about 7,000 steps. I will double that for my end of day total. I pace, I often ask colleagues if we can walk and talk instead of standing or sitting in someone's office, I park in the back part of the parking lot, I park at the top of the street of my kids school instead of right in front of the door, I walk to the break room at the other end of the building to refill my water, etc.