Breastfeeding- Weight gain challenge

Options
stowns30
stowns30 Posts: 197 Member
So.... I actually was on the weight gain challenge before and doing pretty good. I was taking apetamin to help with my appetite; however I stopped taking it because I found out I was pregnant and of course I didn't need that anymore with the greedy bundle of joy inside. Lol ... anyways I had my baby and have been breastfeeding... he's only a month old and I have already lost all of my pregnancy weight. I know that when breastfeeding you definitely have to take in more calories due to the demands of breastfeeding. It's exhausting and my little one Is going to eat me into a shrimp. I'm back to try and pack in 3000 calories a day so hopefully I can do it. Sometimes I'm just too exhausted to eat anything. Any bf moms can relate or give tips that would be great.

Replies

• schorahcandice
    schorahcandice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and found this app just because of my situation. I am 5'6 and always have been thin. I was 113 before pregnancy and was happy I had no issues gaining weight while pregnant even with the terrible morning sickness I was able to reach 149 lbs by the end of pregnancy. My daughter is 4 months old now. When I left the hospital I was happy with the 127 lbs I was, I know still thin but the most I ever weighed, but every 3 weeks I am losing about 2 lbs. I am down to 108 lbs and so worried that if I lose anymore than I may stop producing breastmilk from what my dr told me. Anyway, her pediatrician said it was ok to drink the mass gainer protein drinks so I bought the muscle milk gainer it's 650 calories a drink so hopefully it helps. These babies are literally sucking out our nutrients and fat so we have to try extra hard to gain weight. I was going to try supplementing her with formula as well as breastfeeding but she refuses any kind of bottle and doesn't like the formula so I am hoping this app helps me gain weight back. Today is only my 2nd day using the app but do you know if they have an option that let's them know you are nursing so it can calculate the calories being burned from that? Good luck and congrats on your new baby!
  • stowns30
    stowns30 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and found this app just because of my situation. I am 5'6 and always have been thin. I was 113 before pregnancy and was happy I had no issues gaining weight while pregnant even with the terrible morning sickness I was able to reach 149 lbs by the end of pregnancy. My daughter is 4 months old now. When I left the hospital I was happy with the 127 lbs I was, I know still thin but the most I ever weighed, but every 3 weeks I am losing about 2 lbs. I am down to 108 lbs and so worried that if I lose anymore than I may stop producing breastmilk from what my dr told me. Anyway, her pediatrician said it was ok to drink the mass gainer protein drinks so I bought the muscle milk gainer it's 650 calories a drink so hopefully it helps. These babies are literally sucking out our nutrients and fat so we have to try extra hard to gain weight. I was going to try supplementing her with formula as well as breastfeeding but she refuses any kind of bottle and doesn't like the formula so I am hoping this app helps me gain weight back. Today is only my 2nd day using the app but do you know if they have an option that let's them know you are nursing so it can calculate the calories being burned from that? Good luck and congrats on your new baby!

Hi... I've never seen an option for those breastfeeding, i wish (lol) would b a lot easier for us. I started my baby on about 1 bottle of formula a day (similar sensitive) it's easy on his stomach and good as I'm eventually going to transition him over. I'm still breastfeeding as normal tho but that one break a day with the bottle helps. I was told by my doc to eat an addition 500+ calories but it's just so hard because my appetite just really isn't there while I'm nursing. I did buy some ensure plus but haven't drank any yet.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

It's unlikely you'll stop producing milk - the baby will get what it needs. It's you who will suffer!
    I had the same problem with all 3 of my kids- had my youngest 23 years ago and stayed underweight until last year when I started using mfp. I wish I'd found it sooner! I have no answers other than to eat more; just sending sympathy! Also make sure you're getting lots of rest and sleep.
  • Puzzl3dunicorn
    Puzzl3dunicorn Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I put my breastfeeding calories in my exercise tracking. I've always done about 500kcal a day for bfing but my son is almost nine months old and is eating more food so now it's starting to fluctuate more which is making it hard for me to figure out my bulking calories, but as long as your feeding your baby generally the same amount per day it seemed pretty accurate for me at least.