How do i get big?

i am 6' 169 lbs and have been trying to bulk up for a while but am having a hard time putting on muscle. i am currently getting 3500 calories and maintaining weight. last time i tried bulking i went up to 4k calories and gained some weight but the only thing that got bigger was my waist.aertcmbw8y33.jpg

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Small surplus + progressive overload lifting program + time. Bump to 3800 and follow a good lifting program.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Small surplus + progressive overload lifting program + time. Bump to 3800 and follow a good lifting program.

This. If you aren't gaining you're eating at maintenance and you need to eat more.

What program are you currently following in the gym?
  • 99JT
    99JT Posts: 59 Member
    ive been doing the vikings bare Bones 5 day split for about 6 week

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172565211&page=1
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    99JT wrote: »
    ive been doing the vikings bare Bones 5 day split for about 6 week

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172565211&page=1

What were you doing before? 6 weeks is barely enough time to expect appreciable gains.

• Mellonator81
    Mellonator81 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm just here to pay you a compliment: Nice arms! B)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Out of curiosity, how long have you been lifting?
  • 99JT
    I'm just here to pay you a compliment: Nice arms! B)

Thanks
  • 99JT

2 years. The last routine I did was a 4 day split legs, chest, back, bis/tris.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member

Are you adding weight to the bar each week?
    As others have said, small surplus and progressive weights over time.
  • 99JT

Are you adding weight to the bar each week?
    As others have said, small surplus and progressive weights over time.

i am adding reps every week and weight once i hit my rep goal.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    The basic premise of gearhead's post was right though, eat big and lift big. Heavier weight, fewer reps works for me when bulking. Keep quality calories higher than you're burning, high protein intake and try to add more weight to your workouts. Don't feel obligated to stick to a timeframe adding weight though, you don't have to add some every week but when you feel like you're knocking out 6-8 reps with some ease it's time to increase the weight.
  • 99JT
    Any advise on getting quality calories? At 3500 it's been hard to get without eating junk.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Any advise on getting quality calories? At 3500 it's been hard to get without eating junk.

Calories are calories once you hit your macros. Make a milk shake with Ben and Jerry's if it gets you to your goals... eat a Snicker's bar... or eat 4 pounds of Kale. You choose. ;)
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    edited August 2017
    If you want to put on good weight you're going to have to accept some fat gains as well. Generally, you bulk up and put on muscle and some fat. A few months before summer you cut for a few months and reveal those beefed up muscles. Bulk, cut, bulk, cut. after a couple cycles (i.e. years) you'll start to see some major differences.
  • 99JT
    Does it matter if I hit any specific numbers for my macros besides protein? I have been getting 1.5g protein per pound.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Does it matter if I hit any specific numbers for my macros besides protein? I have been getting 1.5g protein per pound.

I've read anywhere from .6-1g per pound of body weight...after that, it won't really help or hurt you. I shoot for the high side of that and it seems to give me good results. I keep carbs up to help with workout intensity. Fats are to help me hit my daily calorie goals...it can be hard to pound that much food day in and day out.
  • sewbank2934
    sewbank2934 Posts: 36 Member
    just to add to this, go out and read "TOTAL RECALL" by arnie, bloody good read and gives you an idea of the kind of work he was putting in and what protein he was taking. He based his on for every pound of weight he was it was equal to 1g of protein, hence he was on 250g a day.