Progress

Options
I struggle with building my chest, I have been working hard on it

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How long, because it could take years depending on your muscle base.
  • salfer21
    salfer21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been working out since I was 18, but actually consistently since I have been 21
  • psuLemon
    Options
    What has been your training program? What are your stats? What has your body weight been doing over the past few years?
  • salfer21
    Options
    Well my coach has me doing a lot of sets, my body has been progressing over the years.
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2017
    Options
    salfer21 wrote: »
    Well my coach has me doing a lot of sets, my body has been progressing over the years.

Well it's hard to make an assessment based on very little information. It's possible that your coach doesn't have your training programmed or the nutritional inputs to cause growth. If you are just doing a ton of sets and reps, that could be the problem.... add in inadequate calories, and that would be the cherry on top.

If you want to gain mass, you need enough calories (a surplus) and a good progressive overload lifting program. It's not just about spending hours in the gym banging out light loads for tons of sets/reps..
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Let me try to add more. If you follow anything like the young kids in my gym (and many cant figure out why they cant gain mass) then you are likely training muscle groups 1x a week (brosplit style) and all your work is in the 12 rep range. Is that something that you are doing?
  • salfer21
    Options
    No I am doing all sorts of rep range, my workouts depends on my check in photos each week.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you work the rest of your body or mostly chest? If you don't have a solid back you'll have a harder time adding mass to your chest.

I actually find that most people don't have the mind muscle connection and that's why they don't see gains. You move the weight, but you don't actually contract the muscle. Next time you are in the gym slow it down and really focus on contracting the muscle and don't focus on moving the weight. You might have to lower the weight.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No I am doing all sorts of rep range, my workouts depends on my check in photos each week.

Wait, so you change you workout weekly?
  • salfer21
    Options
    No I change my workout monthly, I work every body part every week and I do plyos.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No I change my workout monthly, I work every body part every week and I do plyos.

Well that is probably part of the issue.

But seriously can you describe your lifting routine?
  • salfer21
    Options
    I was just asking a general question I have no problems with my coach.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

The general answer is: calorie surplus and progressive overload.
  • psuLemon
    Options

If your coach can't meet your objectives, than it's an issue. It means that either his programming or the nutrition plan you are following is not conducive towards your goals.

Personally, i'd question why you would change your workout every month. That isn't enough time to exhaust gains/cns adaptations. It's possible between that, and probably inadequate volume, is one of a few reasons you aren't growing.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Actually, you made a bunch of general statements. I didn't see a single question. lol
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Either you've reached your genetic potential (which based on this thread, I highly doubt) or the "program" you're using isn't progressive, which means you won't see progress.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload. Naturally it's a painstaking slow progress. Plyos will not "build." Get into the lower rep ranges.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    lol at this thread.

It's like someone is just thinking out aloud.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    *in Ronnie Coleman voice* "everybody want to be a bodybuilder but ain't nobody wanna lift no heavy as weight" gotta start lifting heavy on those chest days, solid range of motion and Lower reps. The pec is a huge muscle and requires a massive amount of stimulus. Find a spotter and start upping that weight my dude. Do that for about six months then transition to a meaning phase, then a hypertrophty stage