I don't like lifting, but love the results. Advice?

The title explains my dilemma. I did Stronglifts for six months and am finishing the Strong Curves beginner program this week. I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't want to lift weights, but I want to look like I do. I like the way the strength helps me in my other activities. Are there any fun alternatives to picking heavy things up and putting them back down again? I do a bunch of stuff for cardio depending on the weather: running, skating, kayaking, cycling, hiking, and I'm hoping to pick up skiing this winter. I guess being indoors not moving around much makes me bored.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You can use odd implements or strong man type things. Bodyweight/gymnastics type movements can be done outside if you have a pull up bar and just a little space. Or you could just pare down your strength routine to the bare minimum. Deads, squats, either bench or OHP, rows or pull ups. That way you won't be quite as bored, but still have strength
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Add some strength training while you are doing your cardio. If I am trail running I will grab a random large rock or downed tree and carry them in alternating positions. Get creative make it fun. Make yourself some home fitness equipment like atlas stones, sandbags, tractor tires , sledge hammers. Best of luck!!

I think that is a little too hardcore for most people on here but it sounds like you are having a blast.

OP, you can swim, it will tone you up. Have you thought about joining a circuit class? I hear those are fun and motivating. Have you tried kayaking?
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Perhaps you can find a group exercise class that incorporates a fair amount of resistance work? I took a boot camp/circuit class that combined HIIT or tabata series, body weight exercises, and weights. It was fast-paced and occasionally incorporated team exercise - pushup competitions, burpee challenges.

It improved the shape of my body better than anything else I've done, and with only 2 hours a week with a fun group of people.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Add some strength training while you are doing your cardio. If I am trail running I will grab a random large rock or downed tree and carry them in alternating positions. Get creative make it fun. Make yourself some home fitness equipment like atlas stones, sandbags, tractor tires , sledge hammers. Best of luck!!

It sounds like you are having fun. I wish I had that kind of space on my property.
    rybo wrote: »
    You can use odd implements or strong man type things. Bodyweight/gymnastics type movements can be done outside if you have a pull up bar and just a little space. Or you could just pare down your strength routine to the bare minimum. Deads, squats, either bench or OHP, rows or pull ups. That way you won't be quite as bored, but still have strength

I actually come from a gymnastics background and if I remember correctly was very muscular and strong without ever touching a weight. I've been messing around with some tumbling this summer when it's been too smoky and hot to go outside. After 25 years the muscle memory is still there, but the flexibility and strength to move my 200 pound self are not. Definitely something I should consider working on.

I did enjoy the bodyweight exercises in Strong Curves, but all the reps and exercises not so much. Pull ups are a long term goal of mine and I really enjoyed making some progress towards that. There is a park in town that has pull up bars, parallel bars, and some things I can't identify. Maybe I should look into bodyweight exercises for park circuits.

The simplicity of Stronglifts was a plus for me, but I plateaued on all my lifts at fairly low weights. I would be open to something with all compounds I can get done in 90 minutes a week like SL. Might be good for this winter when the parks will be a bit soggy.
    PPumpItUp wrote: »

I think that is a little too hardcore for most people on here but it sounds like you are having a blast.

OP, you can swim, it will tone you up. Have you thought about joining a circuit class? I hear those are fun and motivating. Have you tried kayaking?

I do swim and kayak. I'm not really into toning, but more interested in building strength and muscle. Getting stronger for swimming and kayaking would be a bonus.
    laur357 wrote: »
    Perhaps you can find a group exercise class that incorporates a fair amount of resistance work? I took a boot camp/circuit class that combined HIIT or tabata series, body weight exercises, and weights. It was fast-paced and occasionally incorporated team exercise - pushup competitions, burpee challenges.

It improved the shape of my body better than anything else I've done, and with only 2 hours a week with a fun group of people.

I am so bad about classes. I know for some people having that appointment will get them to go, but I'm a bit of an exercise loner who shows up whenever she feels like it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Bouldering or climbing?

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    You sound like a candidate for crossfit... be warned not all boxes are equal, shop around, take full advantage of their intro sessions, get references, and check credentials of the trainers before you commit
  • jennybearlv
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    You sound like a candidate for crossfit... be warned not all boxes are equal, shop around, take full advantage of their intro sessions, get references, and check credentials of the trainers before you commit

Everything I know about Crossfit I learned on the internet. Since my idea of Crossfit is doing burpees and kipping pullups until I puke what is a Crossfit workout really like?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Find something you do enjoy. Fitness/Exercise will only become a part of your life (and not a chore) if you enjoy it!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    RavenLibra wrote: »

Everything I know about Crossfit I learned on the internet. Since my idea of Crossfit is doing burpees and kipping pullups until I puke what is a Crossfit workout really like?

It can vary greatly from box to box, and day to day, but you can get an idea from crossfit's mainsite. Some days you strength train, some days you'll do more gymnastics work, some days a mix. A lot of places use the format of a warm up, then strength or skill work, then a metcon.
  • MikeinNOLA
    MikeinNOLA Posts: 91 Member
    You need CrossFit in your life. Their are 14 gyms in the Reno area. Try a few out before deciding on one. Have fun, use your fitness.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Am I the only one who had Ronnie Coleman pop into their head, upon reading the OP?
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Yoga. I'm always amazed at how fast I get stronger thru yoga. I find lifting incredibly boring, but yoga forces me to focus and I love it!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Intervals. Maybe you'd like classes like Tabata, etc.
  • KelseyRL
    KelseyRL Posts: 124 Member
    Love this thread! I'm in the same boat, I keep trying to get into a lifting routine but never stick with it as I get bored. I love HIIT bootcamp style workouts where there's a combination of cardio and body weight exercises. I also can second yoga. I'm always surprised I how sore I can be after a power yoga class.

The best I can think of is to just try different things until you find something that sticks. Good luck!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Lifting is not my favorite thing to do, but getting into Olympic lifting was a game changer in that regard. Every session starts with my Olympic movements...after that, I do whatever else my trainer has for me...I'm already there, so I might as well.

I also like that I have some days that are just my Olympic lifts followed by some pullups and dips and I'm pretty much in and out. I've recently gotten into rock climbing as well which is a great full body workout that combines strength, cardiovascular, and endurance...and it's hella fun!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Watch videos where people workout whereever they are. Pull ups at Playgrounds, tricep dips on benches, "wall" pushups on trees....you get my drift.
  • jennybearlv
    MikeinNOLA wrote: »
    You need CrossFit in your life. Their are 14 gyms in the Reno area. Try a few out before deciding on one. Have fun, use your fitness.

Wow. 14? We have a population of like 200000. I will check that out.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lifting is not my favorite thing to do, but getting into Olympic lifting was a game changer in that regard. Every session starts with my Olympic movements...after that, I do whatever else my trainer has for me...I'm already there, so I might as well.

I also like that I have some days that are just my Olympic lifts followed by some pullups and dips and I'm pretty much in and out. I've recently gotten into rock climbing as well which is a great full body workout that combines strength, cardiovascular, and endurance...and it's hella fun!

I've always thought Olympic lifts looked fun, but I'm afraid of breaking my floor. Maybe I need to look for a gym where I could learn the lifts.

I keep seeing rock climbing and bouldering coming up. I live in the mountains so I'm sure that's a thing around here. I'm just not really sure how to get started.

Thanks for all the responses. You are giving me a lot of ideas.