Underweight and trying to gain weight and recover

Options
2»

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I too have struggled with undereating. I really like Herbalife healthy meal mix (dutch chocolate) mixed with their protein powder (dutch chocolate too). I just tried it the other day and its yummy and well balanced nutrition that doesn't need to be refrigerated when prepared with water, or can be made even more nutritious if you make it with 2% milk! I also like Boost Nutrition drinks (chocolate flavor of course!) I think they come pre-made in bottles and in powder. I drank these a lot before I switched to protein powders because it was cheaper.

I also try to eat nutritious cereals and grains more often too. Special K, malt o meal, oatmeal, even a big bowl of fruit loops has a lot of vitamins and minerals. Sometimes I mix vanilla protein powder into my oatmeal and mix fruit in, and it tastes like strawberries + cream but is packed with more nutritious calories!

Best of luck, I understand how hard it can be to eat especially when you're not hungry but know you should be.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Do excerises to make yourself hungry, with myself when I work I eat 4000 4500 kcals a day but weekend (not at work) I struggle therefore I make sure I'm gymming at the weekend or doing something to make myself hungry.
    Try not to drink before meals as it fills your gut up.

Also with depression do stuff with mates or something that keeps you away from being alone. When alone you think.
    You need to Keep that brain active
    Join classes, run with mates
  • brittanyfaith7031
    brittanyfaith7031 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of the advice!! I was out of town this weekend and wasn't using my phone much, but I'm reading it all. Unfortunately my roommates scale says I lost more weight over the weekend, maybe it's because I was at a music festival? I did try to eat throughout the day, but I was drinking alcohol and dancing a lot.. and I stopped taking my antidepressants this week because it gives me horrible mood swings and anxiety, I'm talking to my doctor Friday about switching.. but if my weight does not improve by Friday I know my doctor may not prescribe me all of my medications, so I really need to work on this. I'll talk with my boyfriend too, he's always trying to motivate me and help me improve my health. Im sure he'll help me get on the eighth track again. And my roommate knows about some of my health issues so maybe she'll be willing to help me stay accountable.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I believe this topic might help you since it lists foods you can add which are dense in calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

I would also suggest eating little and often but making those foods you do eat high in calories. If necessary set timers or reminders on your phone. Research the most calorie dense foods, add oils and butter to those things you do eat if possible, go full fat on any dairy you eat, stock up on things like trek, cliff bars etc and also, nut butters are a great way to get calories in, their being around 100 calories per tablespoon.

It is hard, but you just need to keep reminding yourself that this is your health and you cannot get it back once it is gone. As someone said, you may not by psychologically anorexic, but if you drop too low in weight, you will experience exactly the same physical risks, which include death due to heart failure. You need to bear that in mind and allow that to be your driving force.
  • brittanyfaith7031
    Options
    Thank you! Today I bought ensure, granola bars, and it's to keep at my office desk. So hopefully that will encourage me to eat throughout the day. I'm going to start trying to remind myself more on my phone. I don't really like using the app to track calories because I can never find to food im looking for on here. Or know what would be close enough. Maybe because I eat a lot of Korean or other Asian food since my boyfriend is Korean and cooks for me a lot. So I do use it sometimes, but right now my main goal is to just try eating as often as possible even if I get full quickly, I'll eat until I'm full and then eat again within a few hours. So I guess I'll eat small amounts often throughout the day.
  • brittanyfaith7031
    Options
    @splash03 hi thank you for your response, you sound a lot like me, I was around 86 when I graduated college, I was able to get my weight up to 92 ish over the last half year, but I'm back down to 87... I don't have an appetite when I'm depressed/stressed. I was on Prozac for a few months, I thought maybe it was starting to work but then I missed a few days once and I guess maybe I was getting withdrawals and my emotions were everywhere, tried getting back into it but it makes me anxious and more depressed now. I haven't taken it this week. Not even sure if it ever really started working. So I'm going to ask about switching to another antidepressant on Friday. I've heard of Paxil so I'll ask about that too, thank you.

--

Also random, but I eat a lot of spicy food, like pretty spicy (for example I have a homemade powders made of habanero, ghost pepper, and even Carolina reaper that I like to add to my foods) I'm wondering if I should just avoid spicy food for a while because I read that it increases your metabolism?
  • NicoJinx
    NicoJinx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I only began these days the journey of weight gaining. From what I read, it's normal to feel full after little food but you have to force yourself to eat a bit more than usual. Also, because we feel full fast, we should eat more often. Minimum 3 meals a day plus snacks and try to add healthy and caloric rich foods intead of just calories to count at the end of the day. For example, nuts are far better than candies because they are more nutrutious. Also, try to eat the fruits and veggies that are more dense in sugar and good fats, as in protein, like bananas, avicado, spinach, broccoli. Also beans are good, alongside quinoa, lentils, chickpeas. Tuna, salmon are good too but try to avoid "domestic" salmon, I read that it has metals in it that can harm us and hardly get out of our bodies. I wish you good luck and a happy journey to your ideal weight ^-^ don't hesitate to add me if you want to keep track of our success together and share newly found tips :blush:
  • navi2015
    navi2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm on a gain journey as well. Feel free to add me! :)
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    dheszu wrote: »
    Hi! I was also 88-90 lbs. I do not have eating disorders but Im very conscious and stressed about my body because of being underweight. Like you I also want to gain weight. After researching and trying my best to gain weight Im still stuck on my average weight. Long story short Ive tried to learn about food, learn how to count calories in take, food that I can benefit most. (before I knew about this app) Know how much calories do you need to take for a day, for me my goal is 2,500 MINIMUM calories if I can take more thats good but if not I will still try to reach for my goal calories. My only advise for you is to EAT WISE. its like banana vs 1 slice of bread of course eat the food that can benefit you most. Eat a lot of jacket potato with butter cheese and beans or tuna for your snack. It was easy to eat and have loads of carbs. buy some mass gainer, Im currently taking Serious Mass optimum nutrition. I only do 1scoop of serious mass with whole milk, peanut butter, quaker oats, honey and banana you can also add some chia seed. every little counts. Try to finish it and boom! you have taken 1k+ calories. Honestly I cant finish 1 protein bar in one seated but I surely can finish my mass gainer. I dont know why but maybe because drinking is a bit easy for me than chewing hahaha. I always drink it 30mins after my breakfast around 9-10am and eat again around 12pm-1pm for my lunch. It kinda feels like you're torturing your self to eat something but sometimes you have to torture yourself in order or if you really want to achieve your goals. hahaha. After doing it and have 2-3days workout (I dont do cardio. I only do weight lifting workouts for 40-45mins. Every little fats are important for me thats why I dont burnt them at all hahaha) for 3 months Ive gained 20lbs. I almost achieved my goals, I almost there but Ive got sick and lost my motivation, been stressed lately and Im down to 105lbs. Until I found this app and hopefully get back on track.

Im not sure if I help you out or I just randomly share my story.

feel free to add me too- I'm working on the same goal
  • brittanyfaith7031
    Options
    Ive been feeling nauseous randomly the last few days, could this have anything to do with being underweight/loosing more weight recently?
  • lichn
    lichn Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Also random, but I eat a lot of spicy food, like pretty spicy (for example I have a homemade powders made of habanero, ghost pepper, and even Carolina reaper that I like to add to my foods) I'm wondering if I should just avoid spicy food for a while because I read that it increases your metabolism?

If you really enjoy spicy food I'd keep eating it. The metabolic effects are not *that* strong and I bet you'll be inclined to eat more food overall if you really enjoy the taste. Now is not a time to abstain from any foods you particularly enjoy! Any food at all that piques your interest you should freely reach for, and when you find yourself too bored to eat or too tired or disinterested or whatever and you really want to stop eating, take 3 more bites at least.
  • lichn
    lichn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ive been feeling nauseous randomly the last few days, could this have anything to do with being underweight/loosing more weight recently?

I have had problems with this in the past where I avoid food for so long I feel nauseous and then the thought of eating is a serious turnoff. The only way to get out of that is to make yourself eat even though it feels gross to even consider. It's a pretty silly thing for our bodies to do, but it's very common for nausea to be a side effect of under-eating. You have to break the pattern and the nausea will go away! Sometimes beverages can help that gently along, or soups.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My advice to you would be to set up a routine/habit of eating like 3 meals a day and do it religiously weather you're hungry or not. I would not worry at the beginning of the amounts, I'd just try to build up that routine of having a regular meal at the meal time.

I think it would be beneficial for dealing with depression too, since it's a pretty strong act of grounding and being present in your life. There is something about rituals that help us feel safe and stable. Appetite will come eventually.