Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

scales...which kind is best

amelissa66amelissa66 Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
i have two scales, one says i weigh 145 its just a cheapo one. then the other scale is an expensive digital scale which says i weigh 151.2 i put a ten pound weight on each one and it reads ten pounds exactly..... is there a certain brand of scale you all use to weigh yourself?
edited August 12

Replies

• DancingMoosieDancingMoosie Posts: 3,247Member Member Posts: 3,247Member Member
    I have the digital WW scale from Walmart. It seems pretty accurate. Go with the digital, especially if you can check it with a hand weight.
  • rickdkitsonrickdkitson Posts: 26Member, Premium Member Posts: 26Member, Premium Member
    A hand weight may not be the exact weight stated. I use water to calibrate my scales. 1 liter is exactly 1 kg.

I use a 20 l carboy. Also don’t just put the test weight (whatever you use) on the scale. Try weighing yourself and then yourself holding the weight. Get a few people of different weights to try it.

You will typically find that the accuracy will change depending on how fully loaded the scale is. i.e. it might read 20 kgs difference with a 50 kg woman on the scale, something different with an 80 kg man and a totally different reading with just the test weight.

If you find a scale that reads correctly with the test weight over the range of weights that you expect to be. ( i.e. have someone about your target weight hold the test weight and if the difference is close then the differences in weight will be OK for you.)

Also, remember it is not the absolute weight that is your concern but the change in weight. It is not that important that you started at say 75 kgs and are now 70 kgs or if you started at 77 kgs and are now 72 kgs, you still lost 5 kgs and that is what matters.

I weigh myself daily but only concentrate on the average of the last 7 days weights. (Same time every day, first thing after waking up, wearing the same things and always just after voiding my bladder before drinking anything.) That takes a lot of the noise out of the data and lets me concentrate on the signal which is the weight loss trend. For an even better view of the trend I also track the average of the last 30 days)

My scale is an Omron body composition scale. I have found that the weight differences are good with test weights I use but that the % body fat and % muscle are all over the map. The 7-day average takes the noise out of it. My best guess is that humidity, water retainage, and temperature make a lot of the difference but I have not really tested this hypothesis.

However for some reason when I weigh a suitcase on my way to the airport, the airport scales always read about 5-10% heavier. I have to be careful not to get charged for overweight baggage. lol
  • amelissa66amelissa66 Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
    thank you!
  • MysticGoalieMysticGoalie Posts: 303Member, Premium Member Posts: 303Member, Premium Member
    For easy of use, may choose one that can be linked to myfitnesspal, when weighing, the scale sync's the weight to the mfp account over the wifi network. No need logging manually.

https://myfitnesspal.com/apps?app_category=scales
  • clayelliott847clayelliott847 Posts: 58Member, Premium Member Posts: 58Member, Premium Member
    $100 To link to MFP? No Thank you.
  • dadsafranticdadsafrantic Posts: 109Member, Premium Member Posts: 109Member, Premium Member
    you will also notice that where you stand on the scale will change your weight as well. i have a scale that has an 8# range depending on my positioning. towards the front is the heaviest and slightly hanging off the back is the lightest. guess where i stand to weigh myself.
  • amelissa66amelissa66 Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
    hee hee i kind of noticed that too, lol i tried to find the sweet spot where it says less and i look silly getting off the scale then on again and dancing around on it. mfp is great because the information is valuable but one of the best things about mfp is it also helps me to be able to laugh and not take myself too seriously. also to know i am not on this journey alone!