Tips for self esteem and body image

Options
sophie9492015
sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
Hey guys, wondering if you have some tips for how to have a more positive body image and self esteem..... every time i have lost weight i have found I beat myself up and start feeling crappy after a few weeks.. any tips?

Replies

• 2tall4thisworld
    2tall4thisworld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Bordergirl14. Remind yourself what you CAN do, and don't necessarily focus on the number on the scale.

I would also suggest positive affirmations (that don't all necessarily have to do with your body).

1. I am smart.
    2. I am focused
    3. I am a hard worker
    4. I am a generous person
    5. I am funny
    6. I have a beautiful soul

Things like that. Reminding yourself by either writing them down each day or telling them to yourself in the morning or before you go to bed really works for a lot of people. Ultimately, the negative body image/self esteem thing is coming from within, and we tend to project those negative feelings about ourselves to our reflection in the mirror.

Once you start to remind yourself of all the good you have on the inside, your outside won't look as "bad" anymore.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Aww thanks you guys so much! I think those ideas will definitely help me alot! Im going to give them a go! :)
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have gained a new mantra lately for when I'm feeling less than confident that I use towards all aspects of life when I don't think I'm good enough of beat myself up over something "Look at what all you have accomplished!" This allows you to look at yourself from a more accurate outside view looking in. I'm sure you will find that you are a bad@ss when you really think about it! And you will find yourself more attractive in doing so!
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I struggle with my body image too and when I look in the mirror I remind myself that I'm working towards a healthier me, I will get there, I will accomplish my goals and I will love my body. This journey takes time and you have to have faith not only in the process but in yourself as well <3
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I read this: "I love this body because it holds my heart." I'm normally not someone who gets into sayings like these...but this one moved me. No matter how gorgeous you are, accomplished, photogenic, successful...I think whether or not you have a good heart is what truly matters. It doesn't mean giving money to charity or doing structured charitable work, but just being a kind person. And, I think we need to start by being a kind person to ourselves.
  • 2tall4thisworld
    2tall4thisworld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @WallyAmadeus i really like that saying. I've never heard it before.

"i love this body because it holds my heart" powerful!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've read that watching out for any judgements and replacing them with any nonjudgmental thought can help.

I am also working on self acceptance and self esteem. I find them hard; I'm continually striving to improve myself, which is kind of at odds with acceptance.