Weight Loss Change while Lifting

I started lifting a few months back. Previously, I was just doing cardio based workouts, and was losing weight, not linearly but consistently trending downward. After I started lifting, I knew I would retain water weight for a while and then I would start losing again (it took me about 4 weeks to have that happen). For the next 8 weeks, my weight plateaus for a few weeks, then whooshs down several pounds, then plateaus again, then whooshs down. My overall trend is still on track for my goals so I am not worried, but has anyone else had this happen to them when they started lifting? Or is it natural for the trending to change during weight loss, especially larger amounts spread over a long time?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I did not notice this. As long as I am honest with my food, I lose pretty steadily while lifting heavy 5X week.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    It's weird because my food logging is consistent and I have updated my goals to keep my calories in line, and my weight will drop like 3-4lbs in one week, so my trend is still at 1lb/week overall loss. I lift 3xwk full body and do 3 days LISS cardio *shrugs* maybe it is just a weird phase while I am still adjusting to my new(ish) schedule.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    my wife loses weight like this. it tends to come right along with her period. she can drop 3 to 4 pounds in a month then gain back a pound or 2 around her period then maintain for a couple weeks and drop again. I noticed this trend first because she charts everything on a calendar the old fashioned way.
  • theritestuff
    theritestuff Posts: 101 Member
    Yup - for me the scales are not moving but I can see the difference. Without any doubt!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2017
    It's weird because my food logging is consistent and I have updated my goals to keep my calories in line, and my weight will drop like 3-4lbs in one week, so my trend is still at 1lb/week overall loss. I lift 3xwk full body and do 3 days LISS cardio *shrugs* maybe it is just a weird phase while I am still adjusting to my new(ish) schedule.

that did happen to me quite a lot for the first year. i kind of miss it now, actually. it was entertaining because there was always the chance that this week i might spend half a night peeing and peel off a whole 6 or 8 pounds. but it seems like my body might have just reached some point of 'okay yeah, so now we got muscle' type thing, where me going out three days a week and using the muscle is no longer a great big surprise to my metabolism.

my worst problem with that year was that i'd get into this mental pattern of wanting to experiment with that whoosh button and see if i could get it to trigger more frequently. which in my metabolism basically meant a lot more giant meals than i would have been eating otherwise.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    yep happens to me too.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    I use a measurement tape too. I lost only 8 lbs after hitting the gym regularly but 3 inches off my hips and another 3 off my waist. I do see the scale stay stagnant for long periods at a time and then weight will come off pretty easily.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    when I am consistant with my lifting I also experience 'whooshing' weight loss. that is normal for me.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    You guys are giving me hope. I'm on week 6 of strong curves and 2 runs a week. I've been fluctuating up and down the same 3-4 pounds. It's frustrating. I keep hoping I'm building muscle while losing some fat and it'll all show up on the scale eventually. Wish I'd get a whoosh lol!
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    I'm in the same boat @kimkimcoleman It's frustrating, but I can see muscles I never knew I had as well as my posture improving so I'm still very motivated. Just wish that I the scale would start pointing down again. I'm actually going to eat maintenance starting on Saturday for a couple of weeks and then get back in a deficit. I feel like I need a break mentally.
  • Penthesilea514
    Thanks, everyone. I do other measurements too, so combined with my trends and losing inches, I am pretty okay with my progress. It is just weird that the losses shifted patterns when I started weight lifting compared to diet alone or diet/cardio. I am glad to know I am not the only one lol.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    I tend to have a bad week then a good week for weight loss . Track your monthly trend and as long as it is moving in the right direction I wouldn't worry about how it is coming off. So many things can play havoc such as too much sodium , bathroom habits etc that can change our weight
  • Penthesilea514

that did happen to me quite a lot for the first year. i kind of miss it now, actually. it was entertaining because there was always the chance that this week i might spend half a night peeing and peel off a whole 6 or 8 pounds. but it seems like my body might have just reached some point of 'okay yeah, so now we got muscle' type thing, where me going out three days a week and using the muscle is no longer a great big surprise to my metabolism.

my worst problem with that year was that i'd get into this mental pattern of wanting to experiment with that whoosh button and see if i could get it to trigger more frequently. which in my metabolism basically meant a lot more giant meals than i would have been eating otherwise.

I was just thinking about this a little last night if there was something that triggered the whooshes :lol:
  • Penthesilea514
    You guys are giving me hope. I'm on week 6 of strong curves and 2 runs a week. I've been fluctuating up and down the same 3-4 pounds. It's frustrating. I keep hoping I'm building muscle while losing some fat and it'll all show up on the scale eventually. Wish I'd get a whoosh lol!
    me0231 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat @kimkimcoleman It's frustrating, but I can see muscles I never knew I had as well as my posture improving so I'm still very motivated. Just wish that I the scale would start pointing down again. I'm actually going to eat maintenance starting on Saturday for a couple of weeks and then get back in a deficit. I feel like I need a break mentally.

It's good to measure progress in other ways while lifting (photos, measurements, etc) to monitor outside the scale to keep up the momentum. I also feel like my posture is improving too :smile:
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    I'm fairly new to lifting and diet, just going on 3 months, but I also have the whooshing effect. I am up to 36lbs lost but it comes off in stages. I'll go for a week or 2 hovering around the same weight. Then suddenly I'll drop 3-5lbs in next 2 weeks. I don't feel it's exercise related and my diet does not change drastically over that time. I just think some people are more prone to the effect.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    edited August 2017
    I first started exercise doing cardio only and I lost pounds like crazy, but I wasn't happy with just being a smaller version of fat me(if that makes sense lol)..so like you, I also started lifting heavy almost 3 months ago. It has been very difficult for me to not get defeated by the scale! My weight definitely plateaus a lot but it is trending down...just very slowly. Inches on the other hand, have been melting off-it's just hard to not get bummed out by the scale reading the same number for weeks in a row lol. I'm just hangin in there though, I love feeling and being stronger, and my body is slowly shaping up and changing too :) I suppose we just gotta keep at it and be patient :s (Edited because post got randomly cut off)
  • Penthesilea514
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I'm fairly new to lifting and diet, just going on 3 months, but I also have the whooshing effect. I am up to 36lbs lost but it comes off in stages. I'll go for a week or 2 hovering around the same weight. Then suddenly I'll drop 3-5lbs in next 2 weeks. I don't feel it's exercise related and my diet does not change drastically over that time. I just think some people are more prone to the effect.

Congratulations on your loss! Yeah, I have been reviewing my exercise and eating around the whooshes and honestly I am not sure that there is much of a pattern for me either.
  • Penthesilea514
    reina1979 wrote: »
    I first started exercise doing cardio only and I lost pounds like crazy, but I wasn't happy with just being a smaller version of fat me(if that makes sense lol)..so like you, I also started lifting heavy almost 3 months ago. It has been very difficult for me to not get defeated by the scale! My weight definitely plateaus a lot but it is trending down...just very slowly. Inches on the other hand, have been melting off-it's just hard to not get bummed out by the scale reading the same number for weeks in a row lol. I'm just hangin in there though, I love feeling and being stronger, and my body is slowly shaping up and changing too :) I suppose we just gotta keep at it and be patient :s (Edited because post got randomly cut off)

Yeah, I am loving the changes so I am happy- I just was not expecting my trends to shift so much ( I guess I thought I sort of knew how my body lost weight at this point) but that just goes to show how much I know :lol: I only have one pair of pants that fit me now (and they are loose after buying them just a few weeks ago) so I need to get some more shopping done (another Goodwill trip!). Congratulations on your success so far!
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Yeah, I am loving the changes so I am happy- I just was not expecting my trends to shift so much ( I guess I thought I sort of knew how my body lost weight at this point) but that just goes to show how much I know :lol: I only have one pair of pants that fit me now (and they are loose after buying them just a few weeks ago) so I need to get some more shopping done (another Goodwill trip!). Congratulations on your success so far!

That is awesome- we just gotta stick with it, it's obviously working!! Personally I'm thinking I'm going to swear off the scale except for once a month lol. That way I won't get all depressed if it's not moving how I want it to. Just keep building weights up for lifting and magic will happen!! We got this!!!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Yep, my weight comes off after a rest day when doing heavy powerlifting. I am not a sports physiologist, so take with a grain of salt, but I figured I had some localized swelling while the muscles I had worked were recovering.

Now that I'm doing more triathlon and circuit training the weight loss seems to be more constant.