Protein Intake

Options
Hi,
I need some help in understanding Protein Intake and trying to lose weight and body fat. I've got the calorie counting down however my trainer suggested I eat more protein (ideally my body weight) and reduce carbs, sugar and bad fats. She feels if I eat more protein it will help me lose body fat and gain muscle.
Any information I would truly appreciate.

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I find it very hard to eat enough protein from food as I'm not a huge fan of meat and especially dislike most lean meats. Since I strength train I need the protein and I drink protein shakes in the morning. I use banana, soy milk, frozen spinach and flavoured protein powder. Yum! I drink 400ml of this every morning and manage to get to 100gr protein including my food.
    I would advise to aim at about 100-120gr too as a female, instead of your weight. (It should be your lean mass weight only in fact)
  • multifitnesspaul
    multifitnesspaul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So 1 gram of protein per day per Kilogram of bodyweight is a perfectly reasonable amount to eat. You certainly don't need "one gram per pound of bodyweight" per day. There is some evidence that having a specific minimum amount of protein (in combination with other macronutrients being exactly 'right') can help reduce bodyfat %, even with the same Calorie count.

However, that goes along to the point - a "Calorie" isn't just a calorie. If you put the same effort into making sure to staying under your Calorie ceiling for the day (or for the week, if you do it that way), it will be effort better spent than whatever you put toward 'getting more protein'.

If you weigh 150lb, then there is little evidence that eating more than 75g of protein per day will help you in any way/shape/form. There are some studies that indicate that (again) specific amounts in specific conditions may help you lose bodyfat faster, but chasing that dream around is less productive than simply eating a few less calories on a certain day.

In fact, even steroid-using bodybuilders probably don't need more than 0.64g per lb of bodyweight per day of protein. And that's someone with several orders of magnitude more testosterone (and therefore muscle-building needs) more than a female non-bodybuilder.

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Good luck, and getting the counting down is the hardest part of the battle. If you like fats, check out Ketosis (if you're not a drinker). My wife has been Keto for a year and a half or so now, and would never live any other way!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    For most people, protein and fats tend to keep you feeling full longer. Which of course helps to eat less calories because you aren't always hungry.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Different macros won't directly affect how much weight you lose. But some people find playing with their macro distribution can help them feel full on less calories. It's important to get enough protein for muscle synthesis. But the most important factor to build muscle is a progressive strength training program. And the most important factor in losing body fat is calories.

The common suggestion here is to aim for 0.8 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight, for what that's worth.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to add good fats to your diet. Avocados, almonds, salmon, natural peanut butter, tuna, eggs.
  • carriesheph
    carriesheph Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to help explain. I've got to get my yoyo dieting in check and yes I do drink wine at night @multifitnesspaul which is not helping my sugar intake.
  • carriesheph
    Options
    @gebeziseva thanks for your response. I can do 100g but if I do my weight 126 ib it's very difficult. Y other challenge is trying to cut carbs as much as I can. I love pasta, rice and breads, ugh
  • carriesheph
    Options
    @capaul42 Thank you for your response. Your thoughts are exactly how my trainer believes. I've been with her for atleast 5 years and most of our nutritional talks have gone in one ear and out the other but obviously I listen a little
  • carriesheph
    Options
    @kimny72 Thanks for your thoughts. I agree I need to watch calories as well as add protein. I think my hardest obstacle will be trying to eat clean and cut wine.
  • carriesheph
    Options
    @TheWJordinWJordin Thank you for your response. I agree with good fats, just don't want to overdue it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I need some help in understanding Protein Intake and trying to lose weight and body fat. I've got the calorie counting down however my trainer suggested I eat more protein (ideally my body weight) and reduce carbs, sugar and bad fats. She feels if I eat more protein it will help me lose body fat and gain muscle.

hmm I would get a new trainer...but that's me.

Eating protein is not a bad idea but their reasoning why is off.

Calories deficit is for weight loss period...

Macros are for body comp and nutrition and health.

Keep in mind when I say body comp protein is good in helping repair the muscle tears that happen when you are doing a progressive load lifting program or resistance training (that is what builds muscle not just protein)..the repair would happen regardless but the more protein the better you are.

As well protein and fats help keep you feeling fuller longer due to the time it takes to digest and helps keep you sastified (for most not all)

if you are losing weight you are losing body fat and muscle...no way around it...you minimize the loss of muscle by lifting weights or doing resistance training...

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Earing more protein won't do what she is saying. However, the 1 gram/lb of body weight is a good target. When losing weight, (eating at a deficit) keeping your protein intake high helps limit the amount of muscle lost. Also important is doing strength training during this time. Ideally the only weight you want to lose is body fat. That's usually not completely possible, but you'll want to maximize fat loss & minimize lean mass loss by eating higher protein and strength training. And as always, to lose weight/fat, total calories matter most.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Hi,

Earing more protein won't do what she is saying. However, the 1 gram/lb of body weight is a good target. When losing weight, (eating at a deficit) keeping your protein intake high helps limit the amount of muscle lost. Also important is doing strength training during this time. Ideally the only weight you want to lose is body fat. That's usually not completely possible, but you'll want to maximize fat loss & minimize lean mass loss by eating higher protein and strength training. And as always, to lose weight/fat, total calories matter most.

eating protein does not limit muscle loss...doing resistance or weight lifting does...and I see you say that later but...

and 1 gram per lb of weight is a bit high...0.8 grams is a good amount...1gram per lb of LBM maybe...

• jillDob
    jillDob Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating 20% carbs 40% good fats 40% protein and I have noticed a massive different not just in my weight but also my energy levels. I honestly think the less carbs is the way forward. When I am doing HIIT or Kickboxing I make sure I have a portion of Rice or Pasta that day to boost my energy levels.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you are working out to try to actively gain muscle, upping your protien will help. This is where protien shakes can come in handy. Or snack on two slices of a lower calorie deli meat (opt for low sodium if that is an issue for you). Just that little bit more can sometimes be enough to get you to your macro goals, or at least, much closer.

Regarding your trainer: have you had success in your progress with them, if yes: keep them. Obviously they're doing something right, and so are you.

Keep up the good work!
  • misslariss84
    misslariss84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been steadily loosing weight and the main change I made to my diet was to watch my macros (generally speaking -- not measuring every gram I consumed, but estimates based on food data on MFP). My prior diet was closer to 35c/50f/15p and now my diet is around 40c/30f/30p (overall calories per day, NOT per meal).

I found getting enough lean protein tough at first, but what worked for me was switching to a protein shake or egg whites for breakfast, lean meat for dinner (usually chicken breast or skinless chicken thighs), and part of a Clif Builder's protein bar as a snack if needed during the day. I am pretty much vegetarian for lunch (usually hummus with some cucumbers and carrots). I have more or less cut out fattier meats (like dark meat chicken with the skin, red meat and bacon).

The big bonus is that I have found that I feel fuller on a higher protein diet, so overeating is MUCH less common!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    If you are working out to try to actively gain muscle, upping your protien will help. This is where protien shakes can come in handy. Or snack on two slices of a lower calorie deli meat (opt for low sodium if that is an issue for you). Just that little bit more can sometimes be enough to get you to your macro goals, or at least, much closer.

Regarding your trainer: have you had success in your progress with them, if yes: keep them. Obviously they're doing something right, and so are you.

Keep up the good work!

chances are if OP is losing weight they are not gaining muscle...
  • carriesheph
    Options
    @SezxyStef Thanks for your response and advice. Actually my trainer is good it's me that hasn't really paid attention at what she has been suggesting up until now. I've had several major surgeries which set me back and instead of working out harder and watching diet I choose to do Coolsculpting and now have fat pockets on abdomen and flanks, worst mistake of my life. I'm 5'5, 126 ibs, small framed and fairly active. I gained 5 pounds right after Coolsculpting and it refuses to budge. I should have said that in the beginning so people understood why I'm trying something different and asking for advice. I truly appreciate your thoughts.