Deadlift sore Hamstrings advice?

ironhajee
ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Any great tips on how to recover from sore hamstring.

Did a round of deadlifts followed by sprints and soccer drills and I can't even walk or straighten out my legs!!

What are some suggestions?

I was reading that it might not* be a good idea to stretch because that could exacerbate the pain/discomfort

Thanks MFP

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Do you have access to a foam roller? That can help tight muscles. I'll second the epsom salt bath too. You're right about not doing hamstring stretches right now. They can making the situation worse. Walking is good.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    walking - do the deadlift motion but with little/or no weight or more of a straight leg DL just go far enough to make it hurt a little
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Another vote for walking it out and an epsom salt soak
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Third
  • ironhajee
    Great suggestions so it looks like I should do some active recovery by walking and light roll out the muscles!!!

Thanks MFP!

• timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    If you have a muscle stim unit use that too
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    The idea is to get the blood flowing
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Don't mix sprints and dreadlifts.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    orbital car buffer! seriously, i own two and they are the best leg and glute massagers ever
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Ice, stretch, foam roller, move.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    orbital car buffer! seriously, i own two and they are the best leg and glute massagers ever

That is genius!!!!! Gonna rig my orbital sander (it has a variable speed setting) with a gentle buffing pad. Thank you!!!! Actually, my quads after leg day will be thanking you!
  • ironhajee
    edited August 2017
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Don't mix sprints and dreadlifts.

Yeah I honestly don't think I will combine deadlifts and sprints in one day thank you for your insight. I would rather split it up into two separate days with recovery between ... too taxing on the hammies
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »

my trainer has one of those in his gym. i knew i was in the right place for me when i saw that.

op, if i'm really really extremely sore, i like to do gentle poking along the borders of the muscles that hurt, just to free them up from the surrounding tissue a bit before i follow the other advice. foam rollers are not my main go-to for that as they can be kind of blunt and it's not the easiest thing in the world to get precision or to control the degree of pressure. a lacrosse ball on the floor works better for me, just because it lets me stay close enough to the ground that i can take most of my weight on my hands and do long sweeps in precisely the places i want.

not advising you not to use the roller, if it helps you. just another option.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I also use rubber therapy balls for more targeted loosening of the muscles. They come in different sizes and densities and work better for me than actual game balls like tennis or lacrosse because the rubber does have some give.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

ecjim wrote: »
    walking - do the deadlift motion but with little/or no weight or more of a straight leg DL just go far enough to make it hurt a little

This is optimal.

The movement that caused you DOMS will also relieve you of them.

I don't get DOMS often, but when working weight near my warm up sets of the lift, they vanish.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I also use rubber therapy balls for more targeted loosening of the muscles. They come in different sizes and densities and work better for me than actual game balls like tennis or lacrosse because the rubber does have some give.

ooooh . . . you know what is great? the 'kids under three' section of any toys-r-us store. or even just the toy aisle at your local loonie/dollar store. i don't always feel like paying 30 bucks for things that have been packaged as 'fitness' accessories, me.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    ironhajee wrote: »

Beer*

*but that's just me
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited August 2017
    ironhajee wrote: »

Beer*

*but that's just me

It's not just you. :)