Couch 2 5k

Options
I am looking at starting this. Just wanted to know has anyone used it that really were complete none runners. I couldn't even jog 1/2 a mile at present without walking lots of it.

Everyone i know that has used c25k can already run roughly a mile. So looking for feedback off complete none runners like me x

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I went from lying on the couch with spinal problems to now running half marathons by using couch to 5k.

I struggled so badly to run the 60 seconds in the first week. Week 3 I thought I was never going to get past.

My advice is just to run it slow, and don't be worried about repeating weeks.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 7.. and yes, started as a person who hadn't run before. And after completing week 5 I started to believe I can actually finish this :D.
  • KasieLoo
    KasieLoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was a none runner & im starting week 5. I can feel by body strengthening. It's a good feeling.
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love C25K, but had to stop (for now) due to some injuries. Instead I currently have to do low-impact cardio like the elliptical or bike - but I miss the running program. I was never a runner. I used to play a lot of sports in high-school, but as I got older I became much more sedentary, so when I started C25K, it felt like I had never used my body before for any sort of physical exercise. Lol. I repeated weeks to fit my own needs, and had to let go of self-doubt and self-judgment when I caught myself comparing my exercise routine to all my fit and fabulous friends who run regularly. As they say, "hike your own hike."

I say go for it. If you're physically hurting though, listen to your body, and don't push yourself to the point of injury (speaking from experience); however, if what holds you back is self-doubt, then create a great running mix and focus on the music as your feet hit the ground. Don't look at the timer (it will audio-prompt you for run/walk intervals), and the run will be over before you know it! :)<3
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was a 52 y/o old non-runner. Sedentary. I made it through.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've tried c25k so many times, but I am finally finishing it. The key is to go slow! Your muscles and tendons take longer to get used to the exercise, and going too quickly will lead to pain and injuries. Go slow!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I didn't do C25K but through dumb luck had a very similar plan. I started walking. Then I started walking a lot. I mixed in some running intervals and kept add distance after only running. My first race was a half marathon that I decided on running the day before.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I went through a similar Learn to Run program put on by my local running store, eight weeks. They told me I'd be ready if I could do a sustained run for a minute. I could. I was ready.

I went from completely sedentary so yes, you are ready for this program. And don't worry about frequent breaks. They are important to give your body time to catch up.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I was a walker/hiker but definitely not a runner. It is a good program. Repeat days or weeks if you have to, but you might be surprised to find that you can do much more than you think you can now. Run slowly. Really slowly. Get fitted for shoes at a good running store that will talk to you about what you need and how you move. Good shoes make a huge difference.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    I am looking at starting this. Just wanted to know has anyone used it that really were complete none runners. I couldn't even jog 1/2 a mile at present without walking lots of it.

Everyone i know that has used c25k can already run roughly a mile. So looking for feedback off complete none runners like me x

if you can walk for 30 minutes without dying then you're ready for C25K

^^This.

And run slower than you want to. I was down to 4 mph on the treadmill when I finished.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Not that you can't do it on a treadmill but for me it has to be outside. If just feels different and I need to see the world around me. It also helps to have a target or landmark so you can say I did it faster or further than last time.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »

I was a non-runner when I started in March of 2012. I struggled with the first 60 seconds of the first week. I finished the program and ran my first 5K in June of 2012.

A year later, I ran my fastest 5K in 19 minutes. The program works if you stick to it.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    "Jog 1/2 a mile" when I started - Hah! hardly jog down the driveway, but I had walking down to a science.

I am in week 6 of C25K. So much good advice above. I agree - slow is the key. I have not had to redo a week or a lesson yet, but that is also standard advice. If the current week you are on is hard - do it again.

Example of slow - W6 D2
    • 5 min warm up walk
    • Jog 1 mile ( or 10 minutes)
    • walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    • Jog 1 mile ( or 10 minutes)
    • 5 min Cool down walk

The road I live on is exactly 1 mile to my property line and slightly rolling hills. I 'ran' for 10 minutes, it was no where close to one mile. You might also notice the written outline says JOG, not run.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are doing C25k. I run outside and she runs on the elliptical. That's what I like about this program -- you can adapt it to meet your needs. Just work out for 30 min, 3 days a week, that's all it really asks of you!
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    C25K plan definitely works . . I had no running experience prior. Started out running (slow jog) 30-60 seconds and then walking 2-3 minutes. Alternating between jogging and walking for 30 minutes. It takes time . . but eventually you'll get to the point where you can run continuously for 30 minutes or long enough to finish a 5k race. Now I run 5k's, 10k's and half-marathons . . . never would have thought that was possible for me personally. It is a really cool experience watching your body progress and respond to the workload. You'll get there!!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I did C25K as a non-runner. I did a lot of walking at the time I started the program though. Now I've moved on to a 10K program and am on week 2. This week it's 3x15 minute runs with 1 minute walks between. So far I am rocking them and I run my first 5K on Sunday.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'm doing W5D3 right now. While I'm a cyclist and had some cardio endurance, I repeated every day twice for the first two weeks because I didn't have the leg strength. It's absolutely doable and at this point I'm so hooked I have to stop myself from running two days in a row because wow, it's exhilarating! I had to learn what running slow felt like, give myself permission to walk when needed, and let my leg strength build up slowly. Get yourself past the first two or three weeks before you decide whether or not you like running - for me the tipping point was running for five minutes non-stop. Hope you decide to try it!
  • KAwbOS
    KAwbOS Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lemme share some advice I got a while ago that really helped me.

To run faster you have to run longer, to run longer you have to run slower.

You can do this. I'm starting tonight for the umpteenth time and I am really looking forward to finishing.