High satiety and low calorie

Could anyone recommend some ideas for snacks and meals that will keep me full til the next meal but are low calorie? Some days I like to just think about eating 3 meals but other days I'm in the mood for smaller ones but struggle snacks in between as they don't hold me over. I find I'm most hungriest around 2-7 for whatever reason even when I wasn't watching what I ate.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Sugar free jelly
    Pickles
    seafood sticks
    Any veggies but carrots raw are my favourite or cucumbers
    Berries, apricots, apples
    Boiled egg
    Popcorn
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Could anyone recommend some ideas for snacks and meals that will keep me full til the next meal but are low calorie? Some days I like to just think about eating 3 meals but other days I'm in the mood for smaller ones but struggle snacks in between as they don't hold me over. I find I'm most hungriest around 2-7 for whatever reason even when I wasn't watching what I ate.

Protein, fiber & fat are the usual suspects. But unfortunately this is a different combination for everyone. You will just need to experiment.

2% Greek yogurt & a sprinkle of Fiber One cereal. A cheese stick & veggies. A banana (or apple) with a bit of nut butter.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Low calorie meals and snacks will typically not be very satiating, because they provide little of what satiates - calories and nutrients. You can google "filling meals", but they will just fill your stomach temporarily, and not do much for the deep, pleasant sensation of truly having had enough.

You need to structure your calorie intake to match your daily schedule as closely as possible.

But that presupposes that you eat an appropriate amount of calories and get in sufficient nutrition. Eat enough, and well, and you're fine. Hunger is not an emergency unless we are talking starvation. When losing weight, we are "eating" from our energy reserves, this happens every night when we sleep, as well, when we aren't losing weight.

I think you will struggle if you expect to feel full all the time. It's normal to feel full after you eat, degree depending on how much you ate, then feel neither full nor hungry for a couple of hours, and then hungry again, and then it's time for another meal (or bed).

I suggest googling "the hunger scale" to get your hunger and satiety signals in perspective.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    My go-to low cal snacks include multigrain Cheerios with 1% milk, a can of tuna (by itself or with rice cakes) rice cakes with PB, a small chicken breast with some feta (only about 125 cals).

I also love to keep flavoured soda water around. It fills me up until meal time, it's delicious and hydrating! Soda water (not tonic) hydrates you the same as still water.
  • maddigiles_
    maddigiles_ Posts: 1 Member
    Try eating a bigger breakfast like 1/2 cup of quick oats, scoop of protein, berries and or banana. Yes this places about 350-500 calories depending on protein and the banana and if you also have a coffee like I do...
    Eating a bigger breaky earlier in the day will make you less hungry by the afternoon- and snacks between main meals almonds, Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt, wrap with salad and meat, or tin of tuna ect.. rice cakes, cruskits ect
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Carrots definitely
    Cucumbers
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Cottage cheese and chopped vegetables. Hummus and vegetables. Greek yogurt and fruit. Beans and toast.
  • mlbish624
    mlbish624 Posts: 33 Member
    I find that whole grain english muffins with a smear of pb2 (powdered peanut butter) really fill me, and it's 135ish calories
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I eat celery and dip it in salsa or make a greek yogurt dip for it.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Oatmeal (1/2 cup oats, mixed with 3/4 cups water) and microwaved for 1.5 minutes. Then top with two slices American cheese and back in microwave for about 30 seconds to melt cheese. Add salt and pepper to your taste and mix the cheese through the bowl. I know it sounds weird but I love the savory oatmeal. Add a banana and u have a low calorie nutritious meal. I find this helps me stay pretty full
  • LLOYDiANA
    LLOYDiANA Posts: 6 Member
    Avocado with some blue cheese and some cherry tomatoes ! Cottage cheese with a drop of green pesto ohhhhh taste amazing
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Bananas are the best I've found. For me. Your milage may vary.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    high fiber works well for me.. A 200 calorie bowl of pea soup (17g fiber in the last batch) leaves me ridiculously full for the amount of calories.
  • ritzvin
    edited August 2017
    or high volume works for lots of people --> large plate of veggies or salad greens (watch the high-calorie toppings) topped with 2 oz or so of meat.

..and make sure you get enough fat...it's easy to drop that below the minimum recommended when restricting calories. (Grated parmesan/romano in those plastic shaker cans are pretty convenient for upping the fat + protein content of veggies/salad when needed).

edit: typo
  • ritzvin
    For snacks, I love greek yogurt with half a Clif or protein bar crumbled in; or cottage cheese. Both are high protein. Fat content is adjustable.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    edited August 2017
    Prawns/shrimp! Shove a tonne of them on a low cal cracker. Does the trick.

Make an omelette with just the egg and a tiny bit of milk, then use it like a wrap and fill it with chopped up veg.

Full fat Greek yoghurt with loads of berries or fruit. Very filling.

And water, massive glass of water.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Homemade chicken stock.
    Oil-cured olives in yogurt.
    Frozen dark sweet cherries eaten one at a time, slowly. By the time I finish them I don't remember I'm hungry.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be shopping for some of these later :)