Not Sure where I fit in

Options
2»

Replies

• countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I can drop to 12%, but it takes a bit more discipline on my part in regards to restricting some things I would otherwise not restrict, but it's pretty doable. Below that is really friggin' hard for me...I pretty much have to be a diet and exercise nazi and avoid fun...granted I'm 43.

Personally, I don't put much stock into set point theory...I think it mostly comes down to what you're willing to do or not do from a lifestyle standpoint, relative leanness, genetics, and age.

This.

Sometimes we forget that just because we can attain a certain weight doesn't mean we can maintain it.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Any weight you lose and keep off will help you improve your health-even if you don't meet the "magical" normal bmi.
    Why not stay where you are for now and see what happens with your recomp.
    You can always decide to lose more later if you like.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    So if everyone has a set point, I wonder what mine is. I am trying to maintain at 115 lbs, but I keep losing eating 1600-1900 calories. I am at 113lbs now, 5'4". So my set point is that low? Set point sounds like BS to me.. CICO sometimes seems that way also.. I think it's a bunch of factors that affect everybody differently..
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about set points so this is very interesting. Thanks!
  • kellywrae
    kellywrae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Actually Set Ponit is biology and has been researched and peer reviewed as such. Read Secrets From the Eating Lab: The Science of Weight Loss... by Traci Mann PhD. She is the Dr. That heads up the University of Minnesota's Health and Eating Lab. Or Google The Mann Lab. Her studies are all done scientifically and peer reviewed. The information is enlightening.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 I think what you said about hormones fighting to avoid getting too lean goes along with set point. As the set point is meant to be the weight where our bodies function optimally and with all of the important roles fat plays in our bodies, we won't function "optimally" if body fat gets too low.

But your hormones don't really start fighting you in the way I described until you're really lean...for most guys, that's single digit BF%...for women that would be in the teens.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I congratulations on your success. Weight is a subjective number. If you're lifting you may gain a couple pounds but you'll see a decrease in inches that's what happened to me. At my lowest I was 204 now I'm about 210 and yet the clothes fit the same way.

Like you said if you like what you see in the mirror that's all that matters.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think most doctors would take one look at LillysMomma09 and say "yes, this woman is at a healthy and normal weight" and wouldn't be one tiny bit concerned about the scale and BMI stats in great detail. Just my opinion.

maybe, but they will calculate bmi using height and weight and tick the appropriate category if they have to fill up a form.