Retail and weight gain

I work retail and thusly am always walking. I'm trying to gain weight. I'm starting an "at home gym" work out plan. My problem is I know I need to consume to compensate for the working out to gain muscle mass; but, how to compensate for the calories burned at work? Please help.

Replies

• BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    edited August 2017
    The more you walk the more calories you burn, therefore the more calories you burn the more calories you will have to eat to gain weight.

Simply eat more calories.

Edit: You can wear a fitbit or other tracking device to see how many calories you are burning at your retail job to determine how many calories you need to eat back. A safe bet would be to eat about half of those calories back.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    The calories you burn at work are not likely to be very significant, even doing a fair amount of running around. A couple hundred extra maybe. Eat more :) Have a coke.

You'll need to figure out your TDEE over several weeks. The most accurate way is to do the calculations online, go for it, and adjust in a few weeks depending on what your weight has done.

In the olden-days, they just used to eat a lot, watch the scale, and adjust, this is still a really good method.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    The calories you burn at work are not likely to be very significant, even doing a fair amount of running around. A couple hundred extra maybe. Eat more :) Have a coke.

You'll need to figure out your TDEE over several weeks. The most accurate way is to do the calculations online, go for it, and adjust in a few weeks depending on what your weight has done.

In the olden-days, they just used to eat a lot, watch the scale, and adjust, this is still a really good method.

I highly disagree. Being on your feet and walking for a shift will increase TDEE significantly.

Your method of gauging TDEE by eating, tracking and weighing is good though.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member

I highly disagree. Being on your feet and walking for a shift will increase TDEE significantly.

Yeah, could be TDEE would go up significantly. I made the mistake of thinking it's me walking around all day, and I don't weigh that much. It's going to depend a bit on your weight. 145 lbs like me, not much, 200-250?, lots.
  • donkey9512
    donkey9512 Posts: 60 Member
    edited August 2017
    Oops
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

Yeah, could be TDEE would go up significantly. I made the mistake of thinking it's me walking around all day, and I don't weigh that much. It's going to depend a bit on your weight. 145 lbs like me, not much, 200-250?, lots.

Not necessarily. I walk an average of 8-10 miles per day between work and random pacing. When I was a truck driver at 150 lbs., my TDEE was about 2100. Now at 165 it's closer to 2800, just from the increased movement that most wouldn't even consider. Granted, I have notably more lean tissue now, but not 700 kcals/day worth.
  • Dalc1
    Dalc1 Posts: 2 Member
    I should clarify that I work at a home improvement store with appliances. Not only am I walking; but I'm doing heavy lifting as well. I am still working out at home 5 days a week, as well as running 3 days a week. My apologies for not giving the whole of information.