trying to gain weight and allergic to cows milk???

Ok so reading through threads i don't think i come across one on this. I've struggled with my weight for years and i'm currently not underweight but close to being and don't want to go back to that, i've pretty much never been over 105lbs but i'm just under 5 ft so pretty short. With being allergic to cows milk i can't really eat most foods suggested in threads to help gain and use soy and almond as an alernative and just cut cheese out all together. I'm just wanting some advice on what i could do because i'm just clueless and never really seeked advice on this but starting to feel really self conscious about my weight and been getting comments on it :/ I'd also like to add that i'm 18 so i've heard the whole "you'll gain the older you get it's just ur age" comments have been heard for years, i also currently don't exercise because i'm scared of losing any more and wouldn't know what i was doing.
thank u any helpful comments are appreciated!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    There are many calorie dense foods that have no cows milk.

Fats.
    Coconut anything.
    PB&J sandwiches.
    Whole eggs
    Starches - grains, beans, legumes, root vegies.
    Fatty meat.
    Burgers.

To name a few....

I would look in to starting a progressive lifting program too, so you gain some muscle weight
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Fats & oils, nuts & nut butters, beans, starchy vegetables, fatty cuts of meat.

Also agree with above about lifting weights so that you gain some muscle & not just fat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Nuts and nut butters
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    People associate dairy with breakfast, but if you like you can think of breakfast as an early second lunch. Eat leftovers from dinner, sandwiches, nut butter on bread, baked potato with cheese, etc. Forget the cereal.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    People associate dairy with breakfast, but if you like you can think of breakfast as an early second lunch. Eat leftovers from dinner, sandwiches, nut butter on bread, baked potato with cheese, etc. Forget the cereal.

Minus the cheese?
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Bacon too! Yumm.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Fruit juice. You can replace water with fruit juice, and add as much sugar as you want to your coffee.

Potato chips and pork rinds.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Steak, hamburgers, almond milk, candy bars, chips, pasteries...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Minus the cheese?

Derp! People who are just lactose intolerant (rather than dairy allergic) sometimes eat cheese.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited August 2017
    Minus the cheese?

Derp! People who are just lactose intolerant (rather than dairy allergic) sometimes eat cheese.

OP said cows milk allergy and mentioned cutting out cheese... They could eat sheep's cheese I guess...
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    I'm also allergic to cow's milk. I would suggest trying Clif Builders Bars, they are non-dairy. Also Luna bars and the Clif regular bars are also non-dairy; Most of them taste like candy bars, and are easy to take with you for some extra calories.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    I have a casien allergy: no dairy for me either.

So here's a list of calorie dense foods to help you gain weight while avoiding dairy.

Vegan items (breads in particular as a lot of breads are made with milk or butter, if you ever find yourself sick from a sandwich, chances are it was the bread - not ingredients).
    Avocados
    Natural/pure peanut butter and other nut buttera (some of the regular ones use milk products to prevent oil separation)
    Nuts
    Fruit
    Bacon and sausage (just use natural or no casing varieties, a lot of man made casings use a dairy derivative as a binder)
    Pasta
    Use vegan cheese (they are not low in calories!!!)
    Potatoes
    Sugar, honey, molasses!
    Eggs
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    At 18 I was desperately trying to gain enough weight that I could give blood, so I understand your struggle. While dairy certainly helped, I also benefitted from peanut butter, avocados, being liberal with oils when cooking, and tons of grains. It took a while, but by the time I was 20, I was 112.

Now as I near 40, it takes an effort to stay between 120-125 because it's become easy to gain due to a lower activity level. How things change!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited August 2017
    There are many non dairy alternatives that have just as many calories if not more. All non dairy protein bars usually have more calories than the ones made with whey. Clif builders are good as well as vega bars, probars, etc. Probars are 360-400 calories per small bar, top with some pb and you have an easy 600 calorie snack.

Non dairy cheeses and yogurts have just as many calories as dairy versions and taste great to me. Ben and jerry's vegan ice cream is delicious. I actually prefer non dairy butters like earth balance etc. Most have more calories than the comparable spreadable dairy butters do.
  • albin9072
    albin9072 Posts: 26 Member
    Not for cow milk ,I think it's your body allergy ,if it occur don't use