Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating back your gym calories, yes or no?

Options
Veganvibesss
Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
Personally I don't ever eat them back unless I don't feel to great, I know alot of people say you should but alot say you shouldn't so how about you guys? What's your opinion?

Replies

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    MyFitnessPal will make its calculations on the assumption you will eat back calories. I tend to see how I feel and make moderate estimates of my exercise calories. If I am hungry, I will eat some more within my daily limit+exercise cals, but if I am not (and I usually am not) I will just take the extra deficit. Because I eat on an IF schedule and tend to work out in the evening just before eating or after, I tend to be pretty satisfied by my normal sedentary intake without taking in any extra.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't ever eat them back unless I don't feel to great, I know alot of people say you should but alot say you shouldn't so how about you guys? What's your opinion?

It depends on how you calculate your goal calories.

I don't, because I base my goal calories on expected activity.

If you base your goal calories on an aggressive (2 lb per week or 1200) target for a sedentary person and then exercise hard, I think it's a bad idea not to and will be counterproductive in the long run. At least, if you log carefully and accurately. I think a lot of people use not eating exercise calories as a way to cover sloppy logging, and whatever, that's fine.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I knew I was a very accurate calorie tracker, but I didn't trust the calorie estimates for activities, so I ate a portion of my exercise calories, and adjusted based on how I lost weight.

When I got a Fitbit and synced it to MFP, I did the same thing. I trusted it to some extent, and made adjustments until data matched the results.

A couple of points stand out and refer back to previous posts:
    • Accuracy in calorie tracking is key
    • Calorie estimates for exercise burns are unreliable
    • Adjustments can and should be made based on real world results
    • Most importantly, MFP is designed so that (unless you have set it up using a TDEE method) you should be eating back your exercise calories, or at least a portion of them.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    • Most importantly, MFP is designed so that (unless you have set it up using a TDEE method) you should be eating back your exercise calories, or at least a portion of them.
    • Absolutely - if you're making little concessions for bites/slight overages, it can "eat in" to any deficit you've established very easily.
    • This is an important point. If you're not eating back your exercise calories and aren't getting any increased loss, something is off with tracking. If you are and aren't losing anything, your exercise calories may be off.
    • Yes, but your points of accuracy being important apply here. MFP's calorie counts for exercise are notoriously high. This is I think the biggest consideration to make when determining whether to eat back exercise calories. For example, I took a moderate 45 min bike ride today. MFP thought I burned 735 calories, which I feel is way too high. If I ate all those calories back, I would be negatively effecting my overall rate of loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »
    • Absolutely - if you're making little concessions for bites/slight overages, it can "eat in" to any deficit you've established very easily.
    • This is an important point. If you're not eating back your exercise calories and aren't getting any increased loss, something is off with tracking. If you are and aren't losing anything, your exercise calories may be off.
    • Yes, but your points of accuracy being important apply here. MFP's calorie counts for exercise are notoriously high. This is I think the biggest consideration to make when determining whether to eat back exercise calories. For example, I took a moderate 45 min bike ride today. MFP thought I burned 735 calories, which I feel is way too high. If I ate all those calories back, I would be negatively effecting my overall rate of loss.

Ref the bold.
    For many exercises there are far better ways than the MFP database to generate an estimate.
    The generic entries such as "elliptical" are useless (intensity/effort is missing).
    The cycling entries are very inflated - unless perhaps people are super fit and cycling uphill in snow on a very heavy bike....

A bit of self-calibration using more reliable methods and the application of common sense goes a long way in making calorie estimates reasonable.
    I know with a good level of probability my maximum net calorie burn for an hour (from a power meter) and also my long distance moderate cycling pace so I get a good feeling what is reasonable across all forms of cardio.
    I agree your feeling that 735cals was way too high for a moderate 45 min ride was very well founded!

I eat back all my exercise calories (otherwise I would have shrunk away to nothing!) but the only MFP database estimate I use is the strength training category - can't be measured anyway so the modest MFP guesstimate is as good as anything.
    The eating back exercise calories method (or TDEE calculations) both work if done sensibly.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    What's your opinion?

i don't have many opinions about what other people should do :tongue: for myself, it's been a long time since i even logged or did the calorie thing, but iirc i did like you and based it on whether or not it seemed like a good idea. whether or not i wanted to was another thing. and i'd split the difference a lot - eat half of them, or whatever.

it partly depends on how aggressive your deficit is to begin with, i think. and then on how much you just burned. i kept a 1200 calorie goal, which was already just 80% of my supposed daily requirement. so if i strolled to the store and burned 80 calories that seemed to me like it wasn't too big a deal. but a 300-calorie bike ride was too much of a hit for me to feel right about NOT eating back. basically, i guess you could say that i just didn't bother with eating back all the nickel-and-dime kinds of htings.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back as a general rule but will eat if I feel my energy levels changing. That said, I have a ton of calories to work with in my base target and am not in much risk of going below minimum requirements.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Tabbycat00 wrote: »
    I've never eaten back calories. I just don't trust the "calories burned".

So zero is closer?

This is why many people START by eating back 50%. Then after a few weeks of actual results, they can tweak that number up or down.

I eat my calories back because I want fat loss......not just weight loss. I'm well over 50 and have lost enough lean muscle mass already.

This makes twice today that I'm glad I read the rest of the thread before replying.

Yeah - eating 0 exercise Calories is much worse (in regards to properly using MFP per the MFP/NEAT method) than eating some or all.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Half of them because I am pretty sure MFP overestimates what I burn.
  • MarieMckenji85
    MarieMckenji85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Tabbycat00 wrote: »
    I've never eaten back calories. I just don't trust the "calories burned".

this, unless I do more exercise then I had originally planned for the day.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have been eating about half back but I am thinking that I need to bump them up- I am starting to feel lagged in my workouts and daily life, so I think I am going to revisit the calculators. It can be trial and error to figure out what works best for each person and their goals. But I (personally) think not eating back exercise calories can be potentially detrimental, especially to lean muscle mass (like @TeaBea said).