First race tomorrow!

sarahthes
sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
I'm running my first 5K race tomorrow! Training-wise I am as ready as I can be and I know I have the distance. Not expecting any miracles for time; I'm expecting to come in somewhere between 40-45 minutes as a new runner.

My biggest concern is what do I eat beforehand and when do I eat it! Normally I run fasted first thing in the morning but tomorrow's race isn't until 11:30. 5K isn't a huge distance but I can't fast that long. Right now I'm inclined to get up around 6:30 or 7 (normal weekend wake-up with 2 small kids) and eat maybe some peanut butter toast with coffee right away, then nothing else until after the race. Does that sound sensible?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Have fun tomorrow. It is always exciting doing your first race.
    Take it easy and make this one for the experience.

Your breakfast sounds fine to me, but I have never done a race that late in the morning so have always got by on a cup of coffee.

Cheers, h.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    PB toast sounds good to me probably because that's my race-day breakfast along with a small cup of coffee for a caffeine boost. I wait until after the race for my jumbo mug of coffee.
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Good luck on race day. Enjoy yourself. Your brekkie sounds fine. I usually do an oatmeal with a banana in it.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    You go, girl!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 833 Member
    edited August 2017
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I'm inclined to get up around 6:30 or 7 (normal weekend wake-up with 2 small kids) ?

I suggest eating what and when you usually do on these normal weekends. Have fun!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Congrats on doing your first race! Yes, your breakfast sounds great. PB and toast should do the trick..