Giving Stronglifts a try

cgvet37
cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
I just finished week two. I had not squated or deadlifted since High School, so 20 years. Well, I started again with someone watching my form. I never thought I would do either again, since I was diagnosed with degenerative back disease in 2010. I have not had any lower back pain, and have really focused on my form. So far I love the program, and am looking forward to seeing the results over time. Besides following the program, I do chin-ups, dips, and farmer carries on Saturday.

Replies

• LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Please keep us posted. I've been thinking of doing Strong Lifts as my next strength training program.
  • cgvet37
    LeoT0917 wrote: »
    Please keep us posted. I've been thinking of doing Strong Lifts as my next strength training program.

Will do.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    nice. i hope it keeps going well for you.
  • callyhockey
    callyhockey Posts: 22 Member
    I tried stronglifts and i found that i was too tired by the third heavy lift of the day and it often didnt get tbe work it needed. I then switched to going to the gym every single day and only doing one of the big lifts but with the recommended rep scheme and making sure to really rest the whole 4-5 min between sets and i had great strength results. Body didnt change much but i consistently added 5 lbs to the bar every time the lift came around again and did this for about 3 months highly recommend the powerlifting mentality. Slacked off for last 6 months so starting again today haha
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    I love the StrongLifts app.
  • cgvet37
    I just finished week four.

Squat
    SW 145 CW 200
    Deadlift
    SW 145 CW 195
    Bench
    SW 155 CW 180
    Barbell row
    SW 115 CW 140
    OHP
    SW 70 CW 95

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    I've ran it before. Along with 531. Keep it up!!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited September 2017
    I started back (in a more committed way) with progressive weightlifting a month or so ago but decided to give strong lifts a go and see what the hype was all about.

Essentially the principle is the same as any coaching I've had in years gone by; stick to compound movements, watch your form, start with a reasonable working weight, rest between sets, increase your weight as you go.

5 sessions in, my thoughts on StrongLifts so far are :

- seams easy enough to follow and stick with minimal outside guidance
    - ticking off the reps on the app is simple and somewhat encouraging
    - as a smallish female (164cm 57kg) to increase in increments of 2.5kg each session across all lifts is not realistic for me
    - I'm moving in smaller increments with shoulder press and bench but the app only allows for 2.5kg jumps rendering the weight tracking feature of the app irrelevant.

Early days, will see how I go.
    Not hating is though.

My gauge will be my 1RM squat after 12 weeks.

After a long break from weight training I had just worked up to body weight (57kg) for 2 reps.

About 4 years ago I could squat about 1.3 x body weight so I'll be happy if I can get up near that again.

• fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    *kitten* hitting the floor squats?
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    - I'm moving in smaller increments with shoulder press and bench but the app only allows for 2.5kg jumps rendering the weight tracking feature of the app irrelevant.

I can adjust the weight increments in the app down to 1lb (maybe less). Are you not able to change it to less than 2.5kgs?
  • crackpotbaby

I can adjust the weight increments in the app down to 1lb (maybe less). Are you not able to change it to less than 2.5kgs?

No ... it only jumps in 2.5kg increments.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I
  • crackpotbaby
    fjmartini wrote: »

Below parallel or it isn't even a squat.

• fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    fjmartini wrote: »

Below parallel or it isn't even a squat.

I agree. That's why I wanted to clarify
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    stronglifts is a good program. I ran it until the squating 3 times a week was too much to balance with running and preping for a half marathon last year. I also pulled my lower back out pulling too much weight off the floor and sacrificing form over function but thats not any fault of the program.
  • crackpotbaby
    4 weeks in, I'm not hating it:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member

Not exactly a resounding endoresment.
  • crackpotbaby
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Mate, the attached image was my 'endorsement' thus far.

Also - 'not hating it' is basically Australian for 'I reckon it's actually pretty good'.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Also - 'not hating it' is basically Australian for 'I reckon it's actually pretty good'.

Thanks for the translation. :)
  • cgvet37
    I just finished week six. I have far surpassed my expectations. The workouts are getting harder, but nothing worth having comes easy. I have almost doubled my squat and deadlift, and I'm fifteen lbs. from my 1RM on OHP from last year.