5'10" what is your goal size/weight?!

Heyoooo Tallies!

I noticed the thread for the 5'8"ers and thought I'd love to hear some feedback from the 5'10"ers! It's pretty amazing how a 2 inch difference in height can make for some very different goals! Obviously age, frame size (large, medium, small), all play into it.

Technically, I believe I am a hair under 5'10", but not even a half inch under. I have broad shoulders, and a large frame. I also (even at my lowest weight) have always maintained at least a C cup in bra size.

I typically feel my best when I weigh between 150-160lbs. 155 is my current goal and I am 168 as of this morning. When I am under 150, I am typically not eating enough. I have never gone under 150 the healthy way. I am sure it can be done. Personally, I think thats a bit too low for me to maintain. At 155 I am usually a size 6 or 29 in pants.

What are your goals? :smiley:

Replies

• PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    I'm currently at 182 lbs but would ultimately like to reach 160 lbs.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    I've always been 5'10 until that nurse measured me as 5'11.5 in hospital so in my heart I'm 5'10.

I'm small framed, my wrist is roughly 5.5inches so I am 'small' and get away with weighing less. My measurements are roughly 33-26-35, wearing a US4, UK8, XS-S, and I weigh 141lbs, so honestly I wouldn't change anything in terms of getting lighter, I don't want or need that. I added a photo of me I took this week in a dressing room for a more inclusive shot of what I look like, it's not great as my jumper is a size too big despite it being a swing style, but you get the idea. My goal is that I'd just like to be stronger. More clear cut lines. I still look pretty 'soft' overall. I'm not looking to have a very low BF% but I want the world to know how hard I worked for my body, you know?

Plus people keep calling me slim now, except it weirdly sounds like they're trying to say skinny without saying skinny. First, it was one of my doctors, then one of my trainers and then my dentist. Being small means you don't have a lot to work with either so I would like to get my weight back up to 145 ideally, but a muscular 145.
  • 2tall4thisworld
    2tall4thisworld Posts: 123 Member
    @glassofroses your goals totally make sense to me! Eventually I hope to get to that point, when I've lost all the body fat that I want, then hopefully I can really start working on getting defined and toning up. You look great to me! Your entire journey has definitely been motivating for me. BTW cute boots!

@PrincessTinyheart i can't wait until I get to 160. It's been so long. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but it's still a ways off.
  • KelseyRL
    KelseyRL Posts: 124 Member
    I'm also 5' 10". The lowest I ever weighed was 160, and it wasn't really purposeful. I had maintained at around 165 for quite a while, and then my husband and I started going to the gym every morning to build a routine and I managed to get to 160 just simply because I'd upped my activity so much. It didn't last long at all though as our schedule changed, we stopped going to the gym in the mornings, and I slowly started gaining.

I'd like to get back down to 165 and then see where I'm at. Last time I was there I didn't really have a plan or a goal, it was just a weight that matched my lifestyle and habits at the time so I maintained it without trying. Once I'm back there, I'll decide what I want and what my goals are.

I would say I'm larger framed and have an hourglass figure. I also have never been below a C-cup but I can't remember what pant/dress size I was when I was 165. I still have some clothes from then so a big thing for me is to try to fit into a pair of capris I have from that weight. I could check the sizes on those I guess.

I carry most of my extra weight in my butt and thighs. I have a dream of having really nice, toned thighs with a killer bubble butt. Fat comes off my legs and butt last, so if I ever reach that goal, the rest of me would already be quite slim. I'm just taking it as it comes though and working on developing long term, sustainable habits. It's a process but I'm really in no big hurry. I'd rather have something that I support throughout my life than a quick-fix-for-now.
  • MsWizzo
    MsWizzo Posts: 6 Member
    I'm 5'10" too! I have a medium frame, and seem to always carry most of my extra weight in my legs. I am typically a B cup, but since cutting out all bread & sweets in June (and doing high intensity cardio), I'm now an A. Seems like my weight usually hovers at about 160. But right now, I'm153-155. I'm trying to decrease my bodyfat percentage, which was 26 last time I had it checked. I wear a size 4-6 in clothes. My highest weight was 220, which I hit 3 years ago while pregnant with twins.

I'm hoping to get down to somewhere between 145-150, presuming that's accompanied by a lower bodyfat percentage. I definitely don't want to lose muscle! (And I don't want to look too slim.)

Isn't it great being tall! :)
  • YessshJessshhhh
    YessshJessshhhh Posts: 1 Member
    YEA! I'm 5'10" TOO!! I have a medium/large frame, 6 1/4 inch wrist. Highest weight 184, lowest weight 123(anxiety and eating disorder). Current weight 169. GOAL 155. but would be happy with 158-160 range. Currently wearing a size 8 to 10 in jeans. But even at 150 I still fit into a size 8, and then a size 6 snugly. :smile:

I have reasonable goals. In honesty I don't really care "too" much about what the scale says, as long as I am healthy, and my pants are not causing muffin top. :smiley:

Current workout/training consists of Yoga (which I teach) twice a week, running 3 times a week, and twice a week circuit training 20-30 minute workouts.

Diet.......not so much.That is why I have been hovering at 169-164, Working on that, always a constant fear of not eating enough and falling back into eating disorder pitfalls.
  • 2tall4thisworld
    @KetoZombies you rock! what a great picture. I need to do that to better track my progress!
    @YessshJessshhhh same hereeeee. I used to struggle with disordered eating behaviors and thinking patterns. Trying to do this the healthy way is taking foreverrrr it feels like. But hopefully in the end, the pay off will be worth it because ultimately its all about how we feel!
    @MsWizzo you are so close to your goal!! Congrats!! And yes being tall IS the best. :)
    @KelseyRL always love love love your outlook and attitude. I'm with yeah. I haven't seen 165 in over a year and a half. I'm not in a major hurry but I would love to get there by my birthday in October!
  • rishywest
    rishywest Posts: 11 Member
    I'm technically only 5'9", but thought I might jump in with you amazing ladies. I'm 48 years old and have been at my maintenance weight for 2 years, which is 132-135. I eat around 1400-1500 calories a day of which about 75% is plant based (and yes still get at least 90g or more of protein each day depending on the day), lift weights 45 minutes a day 4-5 days a week, get in a nice 45 minute hike at least once a week and play a round or two of golf on the weekends with my hubby. Three years ago I had some routine blood work done and had elevated liver enzymes. I was 178 pounds, ate pretty healthy but didn't exercise much. I knew I had to get my poop in a group.

For me maintenance is far tougher than losing 45 pounds was. I still have a little pouch of belly fat that will likely never go away but I'm strong and lean. Most important is that I feel great and love being able to walk into a store and pull any pair of size 6 jeans off the rack knowing they'll fit, and I know that the healthy things I'm doing for my body now will prevent major health problems down the road.

I always thought I was medium to large frame, but I think that was something my mom told me from the time I was young to make me feel better about the fact that I was larger than all my friends. Now that I have a healthy BMI and defined muscles I realize I'm probably more small to medium frame. Every day is a new day and a new opportunity to feel awesome!

Keep up the great work ladies!!
  • 2tall4thisworld
    @rishywest you go girl! Thank you for sharing! It seems like you have a great fitness and eating routine. I've been pescatarian for about 4 years now, and I just can't seem to eat enough plant based foods. I still end up gravitating towards more cheeses and breads to fill me up. Do you have any plant based tips?

I've also heard before that maintenance is in face SUPER tough, way tougher than actually losing. Good for you for keeping it up. :)
  • rishywest
    edited September 2017
    I do still incorporate eggs, greek yogurt and small amounts of cheese as well. Love me some eggs! I spend several hours every Sunday doing food prep for the week. I love things like avocado toast with tomatoes and sunflower seeds, steel cut oats with nut milk and fruit, spinach artichoke enchiladas, fritatta, big salads using pomegrante balsamic instead of dressing, hummus and baby carrots, dried apricots and walnut halves, veggie spring rolls, fruit with yogurt, chocolate chip pancakes (A girl has to have a little sweet, right HA), monster vegan burrito made with chickpeas, hempseed hearts and yummy peppers, quinoa bowls, etc. I eat fish a few times a week for dinner, incorporate lean chicken breast into salads, a delish steak once or twice a month and use different protein powders (try to keep it plant based but there are some really yummy whey powders that don't use sucralose to sweeten).

Today my breakfast was snickerdoodle pancakes topped with a spoon of greek yogurt and a blueberry smoothie made with pea protein powder, snack was half an apple with a tablespoon of almond butter, lunch is a lentil burger with avocado and goat cheese on a sandwich slim along with a salad of romaine lettuce, strawberries, walnuts and a little goat cheese topped with pomegranate balsamic. Afternoon snack is a pineapple smoothie and dinner is a quinoa bowl with mayocoba beans, onions, peppers and a little salsa topped with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. Dessert is a super yummy mini carrot cake loaf made with pea protein powder instead of flour and a little mango sorbet that I make with frozen mango and coconut milk. It's a ton of food and comes in at just over 1400 calories.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    @rishywest has got them food goals! I still eat cereal like 10 year old. :lol: I don't always but I have been known too.

I'm trying to hold myself accountable and I really need to take and post more progress pictures. I'm getting lazy because, if I'm honest, if my body never changed from how it is now, I wouldn't be mad. (Attached probably enormous side and front shots from today) It's purely aesthetics for me now, and like Rishy says, maintenance is hard because there is no immediacy there like there is with losing weight. I don't know about anyone else but I tend to let myself get away with more now because of maintenance. It's just a bit less than 18 months until my 30th birthday and I want to get this done before then so I had better come up with some feasible goals! :lol:

(P.S. my boots are from a place called Dorothy Perkins as they're one of the few places that does a UK9/US11)
  • rishywest
    @glassofroses- I could also eat cereal for dinner. HA!

You look great and it sounds like you've been working hard to meet your goals. I like the way you phrased it about no immediacy during maintenance like there is during the weight loss. That really makes sense.
  • rsakarya77
    rsakarya77 Posts: 1 Member
    So glad I found this group and thread. I am 5'10 and 39 years old. I have varied between 150-165lbs my entire adult life. Any lower than 150 is just not reality for me unless using starvation tactics and that's bad! After having two kids, my weight hovered more around 157lbs. I stopped working out and pretty much ate when I was hungry and what I wanted (not junk food but definitely not sticking to calories or macros). I decided to get back to working out and eating a more clean diet. After a lot of hard work and discipline...I gained 10lbs and couldn't fit into any of my pants! Say what?! That was not the result I was looking for. But it shows me that I have a warped view of weight and size. I am so guilty of adhering to a scale and a pants size. So guilty of thinking I should weigh less because of what I see in a magazine. That's just not healthy for me (medium frame). So I'm gonna embrace the positive! Over this last year I gained strength, learned to eat right for my metabolism and was able to run a 5k for the first time in my life. I have a daughter that I need to look out for now. I don't ever want her to doubt herself like I have. It is really nice to see others who look fabulous at all sizes at this height.
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    I'm 5'10" and after a 23 lb weight loss I am at 147, would love to be 140. I still think my thighs are big, but at this point I am not sure I will ever be happy, my goal for years was 150. I am focusing on maintaining and eating healthy without the guilt.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    My UGW for now is 154, though happy to adjust if only I can get burn of the belly fat and replace it with some muscle! I am relatively broad shouldered too, and I believe my frame is on the border of medium & large. Ideally I would like to get down to a UK dress size 10 (US 6), I don't think any smaller would suit me. I'm currently at 12, so have a way to go yet (a dress size for me equals roughly 12-14lbs). Thing is, I have never really been properly slim. When I was slim it was skinny fat, so I am not sure I know what is right for me. My guess is that I'll know once I get there. Until then I will continue running and doing weight & resistance training in the gym.
  • 2tall4thisworld
    @rsakarya77 I can totally relate to your post!! I've hovered around the same range 150-165 my whole adult life as well! The only way I've ever gone below that was the starvation way. No bueno! It's a good feeling to know we aren't alone in this journey! Congratulations on running your first 5k!!! You are a great role model for your daughter :)

@rianneonamission I totally feel ya girl! Anything in the 150s would be ideal for me at this point! I think you and I are approximately the same dress size. It's our long legs! I'm in the same boat on being skinny fat. That is definitely not what I want in the long term. Resistance training is key. And it's something I need to start incorporating more into my workouts!

@alcomer congratulations on such a loss!!! What a success story! Good luck on maintaining. As I've heard from other ladies, maintaining can often be just as hard or harder than losing! You got this :)
  • andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    Hi! I'm so happy to find you ladies. I'm 5'10" and lost 14 lbs earlier this year. Was so happy at 165!! Did it slowly with lots of exercise and reducing calorie intake. I'm 47. Enjoyed my body and not wearing spanx ... ever again! :wink: Then my job changed this summer and became sedentary. I put every single pound back on plus 3. UGH. I have recently changed jobs (last week)hallelujah to more active and am hoping this will help me get back on track. Really frustrated with how quickly the weight came back. I've been tempted to do a fad/quickie diet but I know this is really the only way. My best weight - that I can sustain and feel healthy with is 165. I can get lower but cannot sustain it. I have sons I cook for and am active (golf, mountain biking, hiking, yoga). I take a very low dose b.c.pill as my doc recommended going into menopause.
    Any tips or encouragement? Any one else noticing how much more difficult maintenance is after 45? Thank you in advance. Andi
  • beggers7
    beggers7 Posts: 3 Member
    I'll admit - I'm jealous of you all. I'm 5'10" and solidly rocking 208lbs. My goal is to get down to 175 and I'm beginning my journey. I have two issues going on : #1 - I have a hard time just keeping the habit. #2 - I don't know how to eat to lose weight (i.e. should I eat more or less? Do I need more plant based, but still get protein - which is what I'd prefer, do I need to lift weights to lose weight?)

This thread has already been inspirational, but I'd love to lean on all of you for support. Thank you for any tips you can offer! :)
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    #1 Small changes only as they are easier to sustain long term.
    #2 First thing is to work out your TDEE. TDEE calculator. I entered your details (age as 30 - random figure) and at your current height and weight you have a BMR of around 1750 calories. So stay in bed all day, do absolutely nothing, and that is what your body needs to maintain. Start adding in exercise (for arguments sake I entered 4 days a week, 30 mins per session), and you would need an average of approx. 2180 calories per day to maintain. So with this example, I'd aim for 1900, which is a 280 cals a day deficit, which your body will take from your stored body fat.

Lifting weights (and resistance training) is a great way to lose weight whilst also strengthening your muscles. You won't build them as such as you'd need to be in surplus calories for that, but lifting at a deficit is a great calorie burner. And, because it's weights, you'll quickly see improvements because it's really quite quantifiable: You can either complete more reps, or go up in weight.