Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I don't know if it's the same in the US but in the UK, 1% of the entire welfare spending budget is spent solely on unemployment benefits (though this excludes those also claiming housing benefit to pay rent). The rest is on pensions, in work support and disability benefits. So clearly there's a problem with corporate welfare if so little of the budget goes to unemployment and such a high amount is supporting those who should be able to afford to support themselves and family if they have one. Profits continue to rise, wages continue to stagnate.

Minimum wage is not a living wage. They actually work out the living wage every year, it's over £8ph, minimum wage for over 21s is £7.20 and this is before you take into account the vast differences in cost of living in different areas.

And at the end of the day, there will always be a need for cleaners, baristas, retail staff etc. Just because it's low skilled doesn't mean it should leave people in poverty and reliant on state support. Pretty ridiculous really. And here we are debating whether they should buy soda instead of why they are in need of support in the first place.

And the base problem with this (that no one wants to address) is that creating/mandating a 'living wage' is a self-defeating proposal.

How about a minimum basic income? Then no need for SNAP: https://www.libertarianism.org/columns/libertarian-case-basic-income

The problem that I have with that proposal (and the author rather glosses over it in the article that you linked) is I believe the disincentive to work would be MUCH greater than the author thinks and would in effect create a much larger 'welfare state' than what we have today.

If you read the associated articles and books on the subject (and they are many) this is not a disincentive to work and employment is mandatory in such a system. It simply establishes a basic minimum wage.

US/UK/EU already have most of this, but it is subsidized through a massive quagmire - corporate welfare, insurance subsides, etc. This process eliminates all the middlemen in the process and would also eliminate most of the lobbyists.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If the argument is that it's better to eat fruit, vegetables, or whole grains and that people will choose these if their benefits won't get soda, why not consider the number one source of calories in the US diet -- grain-based desserts? I understand the argument some people are making that we shouldn't provide money for major contributors to obesity or that we need to encourage people to make better choices. It's the focus on soda alone that I don't get.
    That's why I think that a system more like WIC would be better. Ideally, items like cookies & cakes wouldn't be eligible either.

I think that the reason why soda was targeted specifically was because it's one of the most common targets in anti-obesity campaigns and because the stereotype that all overweight poor people spend SNAP money on tons of soda is pretty pervasive in society.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Realizing that this may derail the thread, but I think this is a great conversation.

As part of any temporary benefits application process what would be your opinion on mandatory education of the following (as applicable):

Nutrition/Weight Management
    Cooking
    Budgeting
    Home Economics

Thinking back to my military service, where if one applied for financial assistance they had to first attend a basic finance course and have their budgets reviewed by a counselor. This was a very effective program with an extremely low rate of repeat applications.

Where does one find time for mandatory classes? Usually someone on assistance is already working a huge amount of hours a week and still can't get by. Then the time it takes to put food on the table, spend time with family, etc etc.
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Bring back the poor house! The state should have full control over those pesky people daring to live in poverty and need state assistance.

I really despair of our attitude to those at the bottom of the pile.

I have a large number of First Cousins. One of them, who was one year older than I, was added to the welfare rolls at age 12 when her father died and she received U.S. Social Security benefits for being an orphan. Those expired when she turned 18, but college was free to her because of her orphan status. Preparing for that, she started producing children at age 16 so that she had government benefits for unmarried mothers and their children to replace her government benefits to orphans when she turned 18. At 19 she agreed to marry a man who was quite unable to produce an earned income and she kept receiving generous government assistance for her needy children, her low-income household, and oh-by-the-way her medical care was free, too. It was to her benefit that her older brother was a prosperous schmuck who provided her rent and grocery money unknown to the government. That's the cousin. I have a sister whose decidedly different course of life has been showered with great wealth. One day my sister was speaking with my cousin and asked her directly, "Why don't you get a job?" My cousin replied, "I make more money on welfare than I could at minimum wage."

It is that one person's story, my cousin, that more influences all my thoughts on government assistance to the needy than any other. She died of cancer 14 years ago because the free government medical care was a bit less than timely at delivering care.

We, as a society, don't need to be cruel as you parody, but we don't need to be schmucks, either.

I know this wasn't your point, but it does make me wonder at a society that pays so little in minimum wage that people in some circumstances are better off receiving aid instead of working . . . .

There was a documentary a couple of years ago, and I can't remember what it's called, but one of the people who was in it was a young single mother. Over the course of the documentary, all she wanted to do was find a job and get off of 'welfare'. She did end up finding a full time job, but realized that it put her over the cap pf being able to qualify for assistance but below what she actually needed to feed her kids. Obviously it's slanted (because it's a documentary), but I wonder how many people we have in the US in similar situations?

This causes me to ask the next level of "Why?"

Wage is based on market forces, primarily skill set, so why do we have a population lacking the skills to earn a minimum livable wage?

But the problem here is - those minimum, unlivable wage jobs will continue to exist, and need to be filled, even if the people currently in them manage to skill themselves out of them. So there will always be that group of people in those jobs (some with the skills to not be in them but without the available positions) who are stuck in this cycle.

Most of these jobs are temporary and transitional and intended for kids young adults entering the workplace. The intent is to gain additional skills, training and experience to work towards positions with greater responsibility and increased pay.

BLS stats:

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2016/home.htm

Seems very similar to dieting in a yo-yo cycle. Change will not come without changing behavior.

And? They aren't anymore and people have to do them.

There are ~330 M people living in the US, with ~255 M in the workforce. Only 700 k are at the minimum wage per BLS report cited.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t01.htm

These jobs certainly are temporary and transitional. The root cause is lack of job skills. Without addressing the root cause you are only addressing a symptom and dooming a population to a life of poverty.

And how do you suggest the root is addressed?

Well, one thing that some states are doing is making community college free. Community colleges have very nice programs (2 year degrees, diplomas, and certificates) that can lead to better jobs. Also, community colleges are now reaching out to the high schools to provide training while the students are still in high school. This won't address all the issues, but it is certainly a good step.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    To be honest, I would like to see restrictions on SNAP to allow payments for nutrient dense foods only. Along with that, I would be willing to increase the amount of payments.

I'd be open to this kind of idea (make it more limited but increase the amount to help afford a greater variety of nutrient dense foods), and apparently surveys of those on SNAP indicate that they would too (see https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/should-food-stamps-buy-soda/281342/ and http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2013/08/food_stamp_choices_should_people_be_allowed_to_buy_junk_food_with_their.html).

I don't feel strongly about it either way, and would note that for most on SNAP it's supplemental, so whether you directly buy soda with it or not doesn't really determine whether you are still buying soda (if it's prohibited) or also buying vegetables (if it is not), etc. But I am kind of sympathetic to the idea that we shouldn't be in essence subsidizing the soda manufacturers, and this is arguably one way.

What I see as the problem with the "only nutrient dense food" idea is how do you define it and enforce it in any kind of reasonable way. The simple idea would be that it can't be used on anything not taxed as food (vs. other types of purchases), but in IL that leaves out prepared food, candy, and soda only.

So how would you work this proposal given realities?

Also, I am wary of it being used punitively (if you are poor you shouldn't get a birthday cake!) or motivated by stigma (the poor are fat and stupid) or a desire for more stigma (the ugly idea that buying on SNAP should be more obvious and embarrassing than it is), which I think are attitudes that permeate a LOT of discussion of these kinds of issues in the US.

I mentioned upstream in the thread that I would propose using the WIC guidelines to determine what items would qualify for SNAP benefits. The items that qualify for WIC are generally nutritious, but not premium products.

This link has listing of eligible foods by state and a brief description of the program
    https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/links-state-agency-wic-approved-food-lists

For our non-US friends and those not familiar with the program, here is a brief description of the program from the above site.

The WIC target population are low-income, nutritionally at risk:

Pregnant women (through pregnancy and up to 6 weeks after birth or after pregnancy ends).
    Breastfeeding women (up to infant’s 1st birthday)
    Nonbreastfeeding postpartum women (up to 6 months after the birth of an infant or after pregnancy ends)
    Infants (up to 1st birthday). WIC serves 53 percent of all infants born in the United States.
    Children up to their 5th birthday.
    Benefits

The following benefits are provided to WIC participants:

Supplemental nutritious foods
    Nutrition education and counseling at WIC clinics
    Screening and referrals to other health, welfare and social services

I'm sure there would have to be some modifications to the items approved to meet the nutritional needs of other members of the population, but I feel this would be a good start. Plus qualifying items are already identified in the systems of retailers.

If you look at how WIC works, it seems logistically very difficult to expand that to SNAP unless there were a very limited list of accepted foods (as with WIC), and a reduction in the stores participating. I'm thinking about the burden on the stores.

The second question is how would it be decided what is covered and what is not. If you are thinking of something as limited as WIC (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIC for covered items), then I don't think that would be a good idea, no.

Why would there be logistics issues? POS systems at stores already determine if a item is SNAP/WIC eligible, and the correct tax rate to use. Just would involve setting up the items in the database.

Why would there be an issue determining what is covered? Seems like the appropriate resources and able to pick out WIC eligible items.
  • Packerjohn
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but SNAP could be more like WIC. WIC has certain items that can be purchased and those items are supposed to help families with basic groceries. SNAP is a subsidy for food staples. Items like soda, candy, chips are "treats". We used to have to earn treats as kids, now they are part of the daily diet.

Read the thread. It was mentioned. And that model wouldn't work.

Why?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but SNAP could be more like WIC. WIC has certain items that can be purchased and those items are supposed to help families with basic groceries. SNAP is a subsidy for food staples. Items like soda, candy, chips are "treats". We used to have to earn treats as kids, now they are part of the daily diet.

Why?

What if the person cannot eat what is offered on WIC? Are there exceptions? It all sounds like a logistics nightmare. The food offered on WIC is not a large selection and is very basic.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Realizing that this may derail the thread, but I think this is a great conversation.

As part of any temporary benefits application process what would be your opinion on mandatory education of the following (as applicable):

Nutrition/Weight Management
    Cooking
    Budgeting
    Home Economics

Thinking back to my military service, where if one applied for financial assistance they had to first attend a basic finance course and have their budgets reviewed by a counselor. This was a very effective program with an extremely low rate of repeat applications.

Where does one find time for mandatory classes? Usually someone on assistance is already working a huge amount of hours a week and still can't get by. Then the time it takes to put food on the table, spend time with family, etc etc.
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Bring back the poor house! The state should have full control over those pesky people daring to live in poverty and need state assistance.

I really despair of our attitude to those at the bottom of the pile.

I have a large number of First Cousins. One of them, who was one year older than I, was added to the welfare rolls at age 12 when her father died and she received U.S. Social Security benefits for being an orphan. Those expired when she turned 18, but college was free to her because of her orphan status. Preparing for that, she started producing children at age 16 so that she had government benefits for unmarried mothers and their children to replace her government benefits to orphans when she turned 18. At 19 she agreed to marry a man who was quite unable to produce an earned income and she kept receiving generous government assistance for her needy children, her low-income household, and oh-by-the-way her medical care was free, too. It was to her benefit that her older brother was a prosperous schmuck who provided her rent and grocery money unknown to the government. That's the cousin. I have a sister whose decidedly different course of life has been showered with great wealth. One day my sister was speaking with my cousin and asked her directly, "Why don't you get a job?" My cousin replied, "I make more money on welfare than I could at minimum wage."

It is that one person's story, my cousin, that more influences all my thoughts on government assistance to the needy than any other. She died of cancer 14 years ago because the free government medical care was a bit less than timely at delivering care.

We, as a society, don't need to be cruel as you parody, but we don't need to be schmucks, either.

I know this wasn't your point, but it does make me wonder at a society that pays so little in minimum wage that people in some circumstances are better off receiving aid instead of working . . . .

There was a documentary a couple of years ago, and I can't remember what it's called, but one of the people who was in it was a young single mother. Over the course of the documentary, all she wanted to do was find a job and get off of 'welfare'. She did end up finding a full time job, but realized that it put her over the cap pf being able to qualify for assistance but below what she actually needed to feed her kids. Obviously it's slanted (because it's a documentary), but I wonder how many people we have in the US in similar situations?

This causes me to ask the next level of "Why?"

Wage is based on market forces, primarily skill set, so why do we have a population lacking the skills to earn a minimum livable wage?

But the problem here is - those minimum, unlivable wage jobs will continue to exist, and need to be filled, even if the people currently in them manage to skill themselves out of them. So there will always be that group of people in those jobs (some with the skills to not be in them but without the available positions) who are stuck in this cycle.

Most of these jobs are temporary and transitional and intended for kids young adults entering the workplace. The intent is to gain additional skills, training and experience to work towards positions with greater responsibility and increased pay.

BLS stats:

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2016/home.htm

Seems very similar to dieting in a yo-yo cycle. Change will not come without changing behavior.

And? They aren't anymore and people have to do them.

There are ~330 M people living in the US, with ~255 M in the workforce. Only 700 k are at the minimum wage per BLS report cited.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t01.htm

These jobs certainly are temporary and transitional. The root cause is lack of job skills. Without addressing the root cause you are only addressing a symptom and dooming a population to a life of poverty.

And how do you suggest the root is addressed?

Well, one thing that some states are doing is making community college free. Community colleges have very nice programs (2 year degrees, diplomas, and certificates) that can lead to better jobs. Also, community colleges are now reaching out to the high schools to provide training while the students are still in high school. This won't address all the issues, but it is certainly a good step.

They did this in my state (NY), and I say it's about time. There just needs to be more opportunities for people.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

It would work like a champ. The only downside is that a WIC like model subsidized(and thus pushes up the price) of certain purchase options.

Have you actually ever used WIC?

Have you? If so, what are the problems with it? May have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread say anything bad about WIC based on personal experience.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

It would work like a champ. The only downside is that a WIC like model subsidized(and thus pushes up the price) of certain purchase options.

Have you? If so, what are the problems with it? May have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread say anything bad about WIC based on personal experience.

I have and I have also been a grocery checker doing it. And it was already explained in the thread the typical WIC transaction and the possible complications vs. the system already in place.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Why?

What if the person cannot eat what is offered on WIC? Are there exceptions? It all sounds like a logistics nightmare. The food offered on WIC is not a large selection and is very basic.

I mentioned earlier, a WIC like program. I would have some expansion of eligible items that would be nutrient dense.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    BexB42 wrote: »
    I like the idea of ruling out complete crap from being purchased. It is not a right to buy junk food, it is a choice, and a luxury one at that, since soda and energy drinks have zero nutrition. The SNAP program was designed to help people in need eat healthier and to assist in food cost. If you don't want to be regulated, stay off goverment assistance programs. I was able to buy plenty of healthy foods the 9 months I was on SNAP.

Also when my electrolytes are low my surgeon actually told me to drink coke zero because of the phosphoric acid instead of drinking the gross desolved tablets.
  • Packerjohn
    edited August 2017
    Options

I have and I have also been a grocery checker doing it. And it was already explained in the thread the typical WIC transaction and the possible complications vs. the system already in place.

As I mentioned above, POS system database adjustments and some tweaking of the process could take care of those issues. Remember men were put on the moon almost 50 years ago with less computing power than a current $10 pocket calculator has. Not a big deal.

Did you have problems with the actual selection of foods available? Did the foods meet your nutritional needs?