first marathon any tips.

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    You've gotten some great advice here, I don't have anything to add. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes - good luck!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Actually, ignore the race predictors. Most of them assume you're running 70 miles per week and have been running consistently for several years. That doesn't apply.

I agree. I've completed 2 marathons and am 3 weeks off my third and the race predictors haven't been right yet. My hm pr is 1:35 and the calculators think I should be doing a marathon in 3:19, but it's been 3:42 and 3:32 so far. I think I've been training pretty well and haven't had any niggles, but I still don't expect to get sub 3:20. Hell , if I get sub 3:30 I'll be pretty stoked
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    How's your training going @lsutton484 ?
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    good. I feel pretty good. ran 35 miles last week. Not nearly enough but I'm trying hard to get to the starting line in good shape. Got a stick of bodyglide and a can of tri spray(suggested for feet and preventing blisters) tried them. Found another fresh pair of the socks I wear to run in my drawer so I'm gonna cycle them through this week on a short run to make sure they don't bother my feet. Weather forecast is cool and rainy so my usual running gear will work. Got the same vanilla bean gu packs they have at the race just happened to be what I've tried in the past so that worked out good for me. Finished my cycle of 5/3/1 and have a deload week this week so no really heavy lifting before the marathon.

I'm trying to organize my week at this point I'm going to take a 8 mile run on some hilly terrain tonight, do my benchpress and overhead press workout in the morning, squats and deadlifts on Tuesday, short run Wednesday(4 miles or so) maybe repeat on Thursday if I feel good then rest and carb up for race day on Sunday.

My biggest battle will be my brain on the starting line and trying to force my feet to run a much slower pace than I normally run. tried to pull my pace back but keeping a pace less than 10:00 has been harder for me to do than I ever expected. I'm having serious doubts about my ability to run further slower than 10:00 as it feels like some sort of shuffling power walk rather than a nice easy jogging pace. So I'm debating between just sticking to that 10:00 pace group like glue until I can't hold it anymore and doing my own run/walk with my Garmin. I haven't done a ton of run/walk and it always sems odd to me to cycle back up to that running pace again.

When I first began running and left the c25k plan I forced myself to run time or distance without walking because I thought that was right. so for the longest time stopping in the middle of my run or walking in the middle would throw off my concentration enough that catching that rythem again was hard. I have thrown in random walk beaks to break me of this habbit so I hope it works.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Have fun!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Well done! I'm super glad to be proven wrong :smile:

I'm not sure how to put this without coming across as a backdoor brag, but: as someone who does 3.30ish marathons, I am always in awe of people who do 4 hours or longer. I can't imagine the mental discipline to keep going that long, I'd be on the roadside crying.

Hope your recovery is swift! Well done again
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Based on my personal experience, if you can run a half-marathon without trouble, you can survive a full. It will probably be a little rough, though. Pace yourself (go slow.) If I can finish, YOU can finish. Good luck! B)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Run?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    I'll be back in the morning to write a more detailed writeup but for now here it goes. a finishing time of 5:01 on the timer but probably closer to 4:59 based on getting of the starting corral. first half was gravy and went by at around 2:10. The second half the wheels fell off with terrible leg cramps, and my own doubts. I would like to thank my friend Heather for taking me and refusing to leave me behind. She was there every step of the way even after repeatedly telling her to leave.

That's really great. TBH I was a little worried for you. You rocked it out! Well done.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Well done.

• gexking
    gexking Posts: 125 Member
    when you are out of gas, physically and mentally...do not think of how many miles you have left...think only of that next step...make it perfect...make the next step perfect too. And so on,
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    And fwiw I struggle to stomach more than 4 gels, but recently switched to Tailwind. Very easy on the stomach and 400 calories of that got me through each of my marathons at the weekend without an issue.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Don't injure yourself. I did a half easily, coming in at 2:00:48, but the two full marathons I did were torture. The first one was alright, I think we came in around 4:12 with consistent training and a focus on nutrition, but the second one was 4:35 because I didn't take training as seriously/consistently. There was an enormous difference. The risk of injury goes up exponentially once you pass your longest long run distance: I trained to 22 miles so the last 4 were horrible, and if you've only done 13/15 (assuming) you'll be putting yourself at risk of injury for the last >10 miles.

But you do you, and we'll cheer you on; stay hydrated, stay loose, aim for a negative split.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Don't injure yourself. I did a half easily, coming in at 2:00:48, but the two full marathons I did were torture. The first one was alright, I think we came in around 4:12 with consistent training and a focus on nutrition, but the second one was 4:35 because I didn't take training as seriously/consistently. There was an enormous difference. The risk of injury goes up exponentially once you pass your longest long run distance: I trained to 22 miles so the last 4 were horrible, and if you've only done 13/15 (assuming) you'll be putting yourself at risk of injury for the last >10 miles.

But you do you, and we'll cheer you on; stay hydrated, stay loose, aim for a negative split.

OP has already done the race...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    timtam163 wrote: »

Exponentially increased injury past your longest run? That's not how it works. Plus the vast majority of marathon programs only go to 20 miles. That's pretty standard.

Most interesting, and what is actually horrible horrible advice for the person in the the given situation is suggesting they aim for a negative split. That's almost as bad as saying start out as fast as you can & hope for the best. In order for a negative split, you've got to be pretty well trained and have an idea of pacing, and what you are capable of. A 1st time marathoner who's severely undertrained has 0 chance of a negative split unless they walk the 1st half.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Thanks for checking back in and telling us how it went. Congratulations on completing the marathon, something 99.5% of us will never do.