Why is it so quiet?

annk18
annk18 Posts: 85 Member
I have been following this community for a while, and there has been little to no posting. This is upsetting to me, as I find having all the posts helps me keep to my goals and stay within the Paleo / primal lifestyle. Doesn't anyone else leave this contact?

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    I hear ya, it wasn't what it used to be, bummer :/
  • SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    Hi everyone. I'm relatively new here. Been lurking for a bit.
    I just started a Whole 30 yesterday so today is R2D2 for me. I just love saying that!!! LOL
    I didn't do a proper re-intro after the 1st round but I'm pretty sure my biggest culprit is gluten. I've tried round 2 a couple of times, but caved after about a week. I really want to make this one happen 'cause I know I'll feel better. In fact, I already am. I woke up today and wasn't at all stuffy which is usually a huge issue for me.
    Once the Whole 30 is done, I'm going to continue on with paleo/primal eating. It just seems to make sense to me. I've read the Primal Blueprint and I just took Chris Kresser's book out of the library and have started reading it. I'm all set!

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    @ShargetsHealthy, Welcome to this way of eating!
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Best of health on your journey
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    I have been wondering the same thing. Paleo/Primal is awesome and we should support each other!
  • Stacey765
    Stacey765 Posts: 86 Member
    Hi all!! New to this group, not paleo though :)
    I'll start blowing up your feeds ;)
    I'm on here trying to lose more quickly and thinking about keto, does anyone else do that or do you all just let paleo run it's course and lose that way? How do you decide how many carbs to eat a day
  • madwells1
    Hi @Stacey765!

There may be tons of opinions on this--but here is my experience.

I have done keto in the past (many times when I was younger) and I lost weight very quickly by reducing my carbs. Unfortunately for me, I would gain it all back again as keto to me = 'restriction' mentally, and I couldn't sustain that lifestyle forever.

When I switched to Paleo, I switched kind of switched my whole mindset. As you probably are aware, there are several different opinions related to Paleo (and Primal). I chose to focus on trying to be Paleo as strictly as I could, but more so in tune with what I was eating.

That being said (don't throw stones everyone), although I try to stick to the basic tenets of strict Paleo (no refined sugar, flours, dairy and legumes), once in awhile I may eat some yogurt or hard cheese, largely because I limit these and my body has no problems digesting them. Some strict Paleo people would shut me down at this point, but it works for me, and has helped me refocus my attention on what my body needs and what I need mentally without making me feel like I am on a diet.

I have found making the switch easy, as I pay more attention to what I am eating, and try to focus on quality of food (i.e., fresh vegetables, grass fed meat, cage free eggs) etc. versus quick and fast pre-processed food. As above, it's been more of a lifestyle change and that has helped.

Long story short, what I have noticed that once I stopped 'restricting' mentally as I did with keto, the happier I have been eating food, and the more satisfied I have been. I have also lost 35 pounds in about 95 days, and these 95 days have not been deprived at all.

As far as how many carbs I aim for, I really try to get most of my carbs through vegetables. Note that this is all dependent for me on how I am feeling, as some days after a workout or the day before a heavy workout, my body is screaming for carbs. On those days, I usually indulge in some Paleo bread, or Paleo tortillas that I make. These are higher in carbs and calories, but since I make them at home, I know what goes into them, and can monitor the impact that this has on me.

All in all, I think keto is fine, and even try to incorporate lower carb days into the mix now and then (which somewhat resembles a regular keto day). For me however, I can't live my whole life on keto simply because my mindset gets messed up.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Great thread. I'm hoping to post more here as I'm recommitting to a primal diet this fall.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    @wanderinjack that post outlining your lifestyle according to primal blueprint is awesome and helpful for me as I work to get back on track after a month of being lazy, depressed, and having way too many starches, sweets, and junk.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Just moved breakfast back to noon and left everything else as is
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    I've been assuming it was quiet because it worked so well for people they could stop logging into MFP every day. I hope that's the case!
  • MelanieSpicegurl
    MelanieSpicegurl Posts: 239 Member
    I took 2 years off and gained back my 30 lbs !! So now I'm back ! Hahahah
  • madwells1
    Glad you're back!

I took a couple months off over the holidays (non-intentional of course) and that sugar and processed stuff added up pretty quick. I am back on the wagon full force again so I'm with you!
  • madwells1
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I took 2 years off and gained back my 30 lbs !! So now I'm back ! Hahahah

Its what happens when you go on and off a diet. Its also the reason why not a single diet works. Change your lifestyle. Not for couple of months, for life, hence lifestyle.

Amen to that brother!
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    I've been eating mostly paleo for close to a year. I veer off every once in a while to include gluten free grains and sometimes dairy. But I really feel like paleo works best for me! I feel so much more satisfied when I'm eating real, whole foods and lower carb (not keto).
  • madwells1
    I fell off the wagon the past two months and have been eating lots of homemade bread. I need to get back to it as the bread makes me really bloated and yucky feeling.

Why does it taste so good!!!!

Agree with you completely that it makes me feel totally different.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    madwells1 wrote: »
    I fell off the wagon the past two months and have been eating lots of homemade bread. I need to get back to it as the bread makes me really bloated and yucky feeling.

Why does it taste so good!!!!

Agree with you completely that it makes me feel totally different.
    Welcome back! :smile:

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    I have been really enjoying the junk food my family prefers. Also whole milk Greek yogurt and feta. I have not even come close to 80% paleo like my body seems to like. But I’ve got to get back on track. My body is in revolt! I’m thinking of a seven-day reset 100% paleo. Do I feel gross enough to really do it? Ha. Well, I think I’ll start with today...
  • Sally_Abundance
    Sally_Abundance Posts: 10 Member
    gotta do it. love my meats and veggies, hate my weight. . .so it just makes sense.

Hi, I'm Sally. Just beginning this journey after several years of poor diet and high weight. I'm hoping this group is active because that really helps me!