After how many years of lifting should I stop bulking/cutting and go recomp?

I have been lifting for 4 years in a half. During those 4 years, I have done a few bulking/cutting cycles, but we all know that at some point, our muscle gains will become minimal. After how many years of lifting, should one reconsider simply maintaining their physique instead of doing the bulk/cut cycle or do people still do a bulking/cutting cycle, even after 10 years?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    This is a good question, and I've often wondered this myself. I think if you are happy with your size/physique and just want to make very minor adjustments, then you may not need to full on bulk (or you can do a very lean bulk gaining only 1-2lbs per month for a male) ... also if you have run several bulks but start to notice that you are reaching your genetic potential, you are seeing diminished returns during your last few bulks..seeing mostly fat gain with very little muscle despite keeping the calories under control, you may want to consider switching to recomp. I have heard age can be a factor too, if you are older bulks aren't as efficient and you can put on more fat. I am not sure if there is a magic number of bulks or years.. I think it more has to do with the individual and again how close you are to your potential.

I think I still have a few bulks left in me.. but eventually once I am happy I will maintain/recomp just to make very minor tweaks to my physique.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I would say when you are about the size you want to be or when you are tired of the bulk/cut cycle.

Recomp is usually suggested to people who don't want to be big, they just want to be lean. Often people who probably can't manage the mental aspect of bulking (women who are afraid of getting "too big" fall into this category). Recomp is also for people who don't necessarily enjoy lifting or who have various non-gym fitness goals.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I am going to use my husband as an example, in case gender makes a difference.
    My husband has been lifting all his life, but seriously only the last 10-12 years. He is 43 and is still able to grow. Granted he doesn't track calories or make it very complicated, he just lifts and eats, grows, then in the summer eat less. So he doesn't have real measurable results, but he definitely keeps growing.
    I think you stop growing when you are happy with your looks and level. Until then, you keep going. It doesn't have to always be complicated and sound like science.