Gaining weight/weight lifting?

Hello, I've been going to the gym for about a month and have noticed I'm gaining weight. When started I weighed 121, now I weight 124, I have not changed my diet and eat between 1700-2000 calories a day. I'm 5'3 female, 20. When going to the gym I start with 10-20 minutes cardio, stretch, then weights. I do 'life heavy' for what I can do, it really varies on upper or lower body, upper I can do anywhere between 10-25 pounds, lower body I can do anywhere between 50-100 pounds. Am I on the right track? If so why am I gaining weight? I'm really confused on if my goal should be to lose weight or to gain muscle, I used to be 110, so 124 is a big jump for me. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Water probably.
  • momoisgorgeousss
    momoisgorgeousss Posts: 40 Member
    Water probably.

Does this 'water weight' ever go away?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you haven't changed your cals or activity,, it is likely your muscles are retaining water from the lifting.

What are your goals exactly?
  • momoisgorgeousss
    momoisgorgeousss Posts: 40 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you haven't changed your cals or activity,, it is likely your muscles are retaining water from the lifting.

My original goal was to build muscle and 'tone' up my body. But now that I've gained weight I'm confused if I should lose weight or if what I'm doing is taking me in the right direction.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

My original goal was to build muscle and 'tone' up my body. But now that I've gained weight I'm confused if I should lose weight or if what I'm doing is taking me in the right direction.

How did you think you would build muscle without gaining weight?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you want to "tone" you want to lose the fat covering your muscles - this will be eating at a calorie deficit
    If you want to build muscle and gain size/mass, you will want to bulk by eating in a surplus
    If you want to maintain your weight and lose fat and build muscle at the same time, you can eat at maintenance and "recomp" but keep in mind, this can take a lot of time and patience

What you do will depend on your stats, your bodyfat% and your physique goals.

With all of the above, you will want to follow a progressive lifting program for best results.

Since you've gained weight, have your measurements changed? If you look the same and your measurements haven't changed or decreased, I would keep tracking your weight and cals and give it some more time.. most likely you are retaining water.
  • albin9072
    albin9072 Posts: 26 Member
    In my view,doing exercise and eating well it's cause gain weight
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    albin9072 wrote: »
    In my view,doing exercise and eating well it's cause gain weight

Brilliant.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    To look "toned" you'll want some good lean mass (muscle) and a low body fat percentage. Since building muscle and losing fat are counter to each other (you can't do both at the same time), maybe you could try bulk/cut cycling for a while. Eat a small surplus to gain .5-.75 lbs per week while lifting heavy and progressively for several (4-8) months. You'll gain muscle but also some fat during this time. Then, let's say March/April time frame, go on a cut and drop off the body fat you gained (while still lifting heavy). If done right, you'll maintain most of the muscle you've gained, shed the fat covering those new muscles and come out with the toned look you desire a couple months later. The differences of doing this after a year can be dramatic!

• Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Definitely keep track of calories and eat lots of lean protein and vegetables. Water is essential to the body but I found it's better to drink several hours before bedtime. And chances are , you probably just having water retention problems.