Gain muscles and weight

Current I'm 49kg and would like to gain 3kg more. I'm thinking to take whey but not sure about pros and cons of whey. which whey brand is good and suitable with lady.
Any recommendations?
Many thanks!
Cheers all

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    whey is just protein, not very different from eating chicken or greek yogurt. Protein powder will not help you gain weight, it is to supplement your diet if you are not getting enough protein from other sources.

How much protein do you get now?
    Keep in mind that protein is less important when gaining weight/muscle than it is when you are trying to lose weight and maintain lean mass.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Calorie surplus.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Whey won't help you gain, more calories will... it doesn't matter if that's extra calories with whey or not. However, if you do want to use whey, I use one called Eat the Bear Whey Isolate. I like the chocolate peanut butter flavor. It blends real nice, is very clean and has 23g protein per scoop :smile:
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Whey protein is whey protein, there is no difference between it for men and women. The brands specifically marketing it for women just use this as an excuse to make the package pink and make you pay more. If you want pink packaging, buy a nice pink reusable container and fill any whey protein you like in there.
    Taking in more protein alone will not make you gain muscle, to gain muscle you have to use your muscles so your body has a reason to improve muscles instead of storing energy for worse days (-> fat). So to gain muscle you need to eat enough protein, eat in a surplus of calories and work out those muscles regularly.
    If you just want to gain weight and do not care about muscle, you have to eat a surplus of calories. Whether that is in protein or not is your choice.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    skymningen wrote: »
    Whey protein is whey protein, there is no difference between it for men and women. The brands specifically marketing it for women just use this as an excuse to make the package pink and make you pay more. If you want pink packaging, buy a nice pink reusable container and fill any whey protein you like in there.
    Taking in more protein alone will not make you gain muscle, to gain muscle you have to use your muscles so your body has a reason to improve muscles instead of storing energy for worse days (-> fat). So to gain muscle you need to eat enough protein, eat in a surplus of calories and work out those muscles regularly.
    If you just want to gain weight and do not care about muscle, you have to eat a surplus of calories. Whether that is in protein or not is your choice.

Even to gain muscle you don't need a lot of protein while in a caloric surplus, but you do need to lift progressively heavier to give the muscles a need/reason to grow.