Weight gain concerns

TripleJ3
TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
I'm struggling a bit with this weight gain. I started eating more 4 weeks ago and have gained 6 pounds and I am starting to be unable to wear some of my clothes.
I am not new to EM2WL. I have done a reset before a few years back. I had jumped right up to TDEE but in about 6 months I gained over 20lbs and went up 3 clothing sizes. This time I wasn't able to jump my calories up like that but thought maybe that would be an advantage and I wouldn't see such a gain. I admit, I'm still having trouble to get all my food down so I don't always reach my goal. I just recently lowered my protein goal. Not only can I not afford it, but I just couldn't get it to go down and stay there.

My stats:
39 yr old female
193lbs (sw 187)
67.5 inches

My workouts change. I was on the border of 3-5 to strenuous. 2500 is about where I'm at now but I'm changing my routine to train for a Tri. I think my workout schedule maybe something like this:

2 hours a week on bicycle (need to work up to 15 miles, I just got a better bicycle so this all may change)
I need to swim but this is proving to be difficult right now. I'm hoping to get this in twice a week very soon but my pool access and this Harvey are adding obstacles. Maybe 15-20 min each session, twice a week.
I run/jog 3 miles twice a week. With this Louisiana heat I've slowed down to around 40 min for 3 miles.
Weights 3 times a week at 30-40 min a session.

Then I try to get as much yoga in as I can but usually 3xs a week at 30 min sessions.

I don't work so I do spend more time sitting. I stay busy but I do sit and read more or do a crafty thing. So this can vary.

So I guess I'm looking for people who have also gained a significant amount of weight but were able to find success after just sticking to it. I seem to only read the stories of people who gain a couple pounds but after a few weeks their clothes fit the same, or the people who trim down on inches. I believe in the whole process and yes, I realize it's only been 4 weeks, no, I don't believe I'm a snowflake, I just don't want a repeat of the last time.
Any suggestions are welcome to help me be more successful. My diary should be open. It's not perfect but I really do try to improve on it every day.

TIA

Jenny

Replies

• kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Hi Jenny,

I gained about 5-7 lbs initially (working up to my TDEE - which I did quickly over about 4-6 weeks), my clothes were a little tighter but not bad. My workouts were immediately easier and I had energy again for the first time in a very long time.

Immediately after my 12 week reset I had to have surgery (for which I ate at my working out TDEE but did no working out at all for 6-8 weeks) which was followed (exactly 6 weeks after the surgery) by a 20th anniversary trip. All told I gained another 13 or 14 lbs on top of the original 5-7. Once I returned from vacation I focused on eating at TDEE and getting my macros in line for a while with no further weight gain, I lost no inches during this time as I eased back into some semblance of working out shape. One month after that I did my first cut (4 weeks) and lost about 3 lbs and an inch or two. I just came off my one week reset at TDEE and am starting my second 4 week cut.

I am currently about 16-17 lbs up from where I started (before EM2WL), but I am happier and have more energy and I know that given time I will lose this weight and the other 20 or so that I have to lose, all while eating good normal food. My clothes are a tiny bit looser but I still can't fit back into my one size smaller karate pants, which is my immediate goal. I would still do it again (though hopefully I would eat at my lower TDEE after surgery and not gain so much weight! hehe). It's worth it for how good I feel and being able to eat normal food and a good amount of it and still lose weight.

Kelly
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    As for not being able to eat all the food - I had that issue too - I would increase a little, stay then then increase a little more, bumping up to TDEE in 6 weeks was a struggle in not feeling stuffed and sick all the time. I would probably go slower if I ever had to do it again. As for protein, it took me about 20 weeks to be able to hit my protein goal regularly and I still "cheat" and use protein powder and a protein bar daily, otherwise I can't get what I need.

Also, make sure you are weighing and measuring food as accurately as possible. I found I was eating a LOT more food than I had estimated (for some things) and less in others. I also tend to cycle my eating around my day - if I am less active, I eat a little less and I eat more on the days I work out, that seems to help me instead of trying to eat the same amount every day. I am more hungry on my workout days and getting the food in is easier.
  • TripleJ3
    Thanks @kcmsmith0405 that helps!

Once I wrote this out then did my workout, I realized it really only has been 4 weeks, and I just upped my calories again one week ago. The weight gain is only really noticeable because I had put on weight before I started the reset, otherwise I probably wouldn't be growing out of my clothes already.

I tend to be strict and rigid, so weighing my food in grams is something I have done for years. Most people tell me I need to loosen up. The first time I tried a reset it helped me learn to relax and enjoy it. I was advised that I do all the 'right' things all at once and that I can get in my own way. I moved from Iowa to Louisiana and have been trying more and more to not be so "perfect". I used to rarely go out, drink alcohol, or eat out. Since moving I'm trying to learn to incorporate those things and learn to have a little more fun and put myself out there. People in Louisiana are very friendly so that's been easy!

It seems the rules have loosened a bit here, too. Before it would not have been recommended to do a 15% cut. We were also encouraged to never eat below our calorie goal even if we didn't work out that day. In fact, it was encouraged to try and always go over. Even when we took a week of rest from normal workouts, we were instructed to stay at the same calorie amount as a full workout week. So I will definitely try to give myself some grace on the days I don't work out as much.

I have a list of NSVs that I try to run through everytime I think of giving up. I know this is the right thing to do, but the right thing isn't always the easiest as they say
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    I'm just in my second week and I feel bloated and like my clothes are a little tighter. I didn't do the matabolism reset because I wasn't dieting before. I was probably averaging 2000 to 2500 calories a day before and I think my TDEE is about 2100. I'm hitting the gym hard, trying to build muscle so I'm hoping it's water retention from working out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Have you noticed lifting workouts improving, or any cardio workouts being more intense (even if short)?

Better lifting causes more need for repair - more water retained.

Higher intensity cardio calls for more carbs to be stored in muscle along with attached water, as well as more blood volume water usually for sweating.

Stress over that gain can cause cortisol retained water too. And if hitting gym too hard and recovery is lacking, stress held water for that reason too.

And good plan that if your workouts for the week are not a for sure thing such that a TDEE estimate can be nailed - adjust daily as the need be.

You may have some workouts that will be done, and some are iffy.
    You can estimate a TDEE on the for-sure ones, and add the extra when done.
    Or estimate TDEE with all being done - and drop 100 calories on days you miss one.

• cinblog1965
    @heybales yes to both of those. I also noticed I'ved been drinking less water lately. I'm sure for me it's water retention. I've got to get back in the habit of drinking water but other than that I am getting stronger and I feel better. I'm also sleeping better last few nights.
  • TripleJ3
    @haybales I've noticed several NSV that I didn't have before.

My brain feels more awake. I didn't even realize I felt foggy until just a few short days into upping calories and noticed a difference. I don't feel as exhausted so I do think I've been putting more into my workouts. My pulled muscles have healed after months of being tight, and my flexibility has improved tremendously. Along with several more little things that have improved.

I agree, take it slow and just add extra calories if I get extra movement that day, or take away since those Harvey winds have been fierce and I haven't been doing my outdoor workouts like I'd like too. Most of my workouts are during the morning so that helps with planning. Maybe watch my trends weekly with workouts and adjust. My Tri is in a month so I feel more relaxed with this plan verses trying to jump up calories again only to drop them down in a month. My mind tends to get in the way and if I over think, I stress, then 'try something new'.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Take one thing at a time. If you are working on getting your calories up to a consistent level, then concentrate on that only. Once that becomes habit, you pick something else new to do and work on that. One thing at a time only. Taking on too many things cause stress and anxiety, as Im sure you have already experienced.

This is a slow journey, not a quick fix. So you cant set timelines or deadlines to anything. This is setting you up to have all the right habits in place for life. So when it comes a time to stop tracking and weighing portions, you already know exactly how much to eat and what it looks like. Iv'e been at this for 5ish years, and its been an incredibly slow process, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • cinblog1965
    @TripleJ3 my brain is trying to panick also. My size 12's are getting tight and I was always a size 8 until the last 6 or 7 years, so I feel panick creeping in every morning when I put on my jeans. I refuse to go back to low calorie or extreme (low carb yuck!) diets. I will figure this out!