WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

0j7px4cjuspj.jpg

I read somewhere that "September is the new January". This is based school starting in many parts of the world in September. Even if this isn't true for you, this is one more good time to make a fresh start on your goals and resolutions for your life.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for August?

What goals and resolutions do you have for September?

My journey to health and fitness has been successful in large part to the support I've gotten from the women on the "Women Ages 50+" thread. Thank you to all of you who have supported and encouraged me and welcome to all who are joining us for the first time.

Don't forget to bookmark this page so you can find it again.

August Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk an average of at least 17,000 steps a day (not quite, but certainly over 15,000)
*work on clearing papers from the file cabinet three days a week (good start, but faded out)
*finish off unwanted food in cupboard and freezer ( almost all gone)

September Resolutions
*walk an average of at least 17,000 steps a day
*continue to photograph and discard sentimental items
*continue to read and discard sentimental papers

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2017 is "balance"

Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Thanks Barbie for continuing to be our anchor! Love ya!
    Becca

I need to ponder my goals for this month.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    B)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,332 Member
    Did an hour of Kelley Coffee Meyers 30 Minutes to Fitness (there are two workouts). The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT.

Have to volunteer at the Green Room this morning then I'll go to WalMart to get the hamburgers and hamburger buns for this weekend (I'll probably have a veggie burger) and some other things and also to Sams since we like their London Broil. They seem to have a better cut than WalMart. I guess Vince will have some leftovers. Then, I'm going to try another way of making that marbled cake. Hopefully, it'll turn out better. I don't think I have much room in my freezer for more!!!!!

Marcelyn - thanks so much for the pictures and telling us all about what's happening. Really makes it much more personal. You have no idea how much we all appreciate this. Glad things are somewhat looking up for you. I thought I remember hearing about a bedding store that opened so that people could sleep on the display models. Is that true?

Cathy - awesome jewelry (and your grandson isn't so bad himself!). I can't decide which I like best, the earrings, or the (is it) pink ring, or the necklaces. Oh, no, a blown tire. Glad you're safe. Your van looks horrible

Dana - you reminded me how my grandmother used to take all the buttons off a shirt when she was getting rid of it. I don't know how many white buttons I had. I donated them to the local elementary school, maybe the art teacher could use them. And heaven forbid we throw out the straight pins that come in a new shirt!!! Some things are mortal sins. I love my French Door refrigerator. Is that a black range you have there? I only see 4 knobs for the heating elements. How do you turn on the fifth element?

Joyce - I don't like the way Tom is being nice about Allie's dogs, either. Something's up. Not sure what, but something's up.

Allie - (((HUG)))

Sharon - I think it's just part of being a mom -- wanting to make everything right. And it hurts when we know we shouldn't or when we can't. It hurts BIG TIME.

You know, it just dawned on me that Maria (Pete's mom) never once asked for my phone number. I'm mother of the bride. She did ask for Jess' phone number. But never mine. Well, I called Denise today and left a message asking her to call Maria and tell Maria that it's still not too late for her to send her favors to me and I will incorporate them into mine. I would be humiliated if all I was giving was a lousy mirror. If she chooses not to send them to me, at least Denise will know that I made the attempt. Think I'll try making another marbled cake today. I think I have down the method for it. I THINK

I always forget about that "like" button on the bottom of posts. Many times I totally agree but don't say anything because I forget that the "like" button is there.

Lisa - hope you and the doc do find a good solution.

NYKaren - in MY gratitude journal, chocolate lands in the top ten.....lol

Karen in VA - Hope Jillian heals quickly. The good news is that she's young and as we know, the older you get the longer it takes to heal

Terry - I only have one more part of the gecko, then it gets fired, and I will be bringing it home and will post a pic. Next up is a dragonfly (completely different from the one that is hanging up). So sorry about the bone spurs

Exercised, volunteered at the Green Room, went to WalMart then Sams, home and made 2 more marbled cakes. I think the marbling is decent. Made biscuits to just bake when Steve gets here. Need to go back to WalMart as I totally forgot to get chicken thighs and sometimes they are still frozen. Also, need to make the lemon squares for us to have one night.

Called Denise and said to her to please tell Maria that it's still not too late for me to incorporate her favors with mine. Personally, I don't think she will. But I wanted Denise to know that I was trying to compromise. I would be totally humiliated to give out just a mirror. But if it doesn't bother her, so be it. I also asked Denise for her phone number. Not that I have any intention of calling her. But I wanted Denise to know that she never asked for my phone number, she did ask for Jess'. The only reason I would want it is in case I ever needed to get in touch with her. Not that I'd care to, mind you. Denise was saying about how Maria already has them bagged up so I just told Denise that I'd take them out of the bag, no big deal. Not that Maria even cares to work together. I mentioned to Denise how Pete is always talking (and this is true) about how the two families should be together, I wanted to show her that I was trying. Not that his mother has even bothered. But that's her loss, not mine.

Heather - I like to make food for company ahead of time, too. This way I can really enjoy the company.

Yesterday we drove by one gas station at about 5:30. When we drove by it again 3 hours later, the price of the gas had gone up .10!!!!

Melissa - welcome! You've come to the right place for support.

Allie - it so warms my heart to see how you've grown emotionally.

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Terry, I like the picture. It’s so nice to put a face with the name.

Vicki, I will get on a ladder as high as reaching he ceiling but that is about it. I’m the one has put up most of our Christmas lights the past 8 years but this past year we decided not to do it and got one of those twinkle spotlights that you shine on the front of the house. We decided that age 70 was a good cut off for that kind of silliness. Lol

Ginger, I’m so glad the water is going down. I did see what flooding was occurring east of Houston. So sad.

Joyce, I sure hope Michele’s new or added meds will do the trick. I guess that would freak you out to get a message like that. Lol

MicheleNC, I had to laugh at myself when you talked about Denise having to have everything a brand name. I am so “un”Brand conscious that I don’t even know the “IN” brands these days. I also can’t believe what some people will pay for things like an $800 purse. I mean, really!!!

Maritill, congrats on the clean MRI. Now onward and upward.

Dana, nice appliances. Are you doing anything else to the kitchen?

Allie, sorry your DB is giving you a hard time. Can you take him his meds when you go??

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Two days ago DH bought some peaches. I picked one up and took a sniff and it didn’t smell at all so I wasn’t surprised when they turned out to be tasteless. The ripened very quickly so tonight I made a cobbler with them. Gosh it smells good and that is one of my favorite things in the world so I will have to be strong. That is why I rarely bake any more. Barbie, thanks for the new month. gosh before you know it, we will be saying, "Happy New Year". This year is flying.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Barbie!
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited September 2017
    Michelle
    The Gallery furniture store did have people come there. The owner himself invited them all. It's a high-end store, but it didn't matter that $12k mattresses were being used! Cool!

Yes, both of my grandmothers were very resourceful. My paternal grandma was from Oklahoma and the family moved to California in 1925 to find work. It must of been really hard back then. She taught me how to can foods, make jam and bake. I even learned to sew and crochet from my grandma. She always called me "Honey" and loved to give hugs and vitamin C!

The stove is stainless steel. I think the fifth burner was on the digital key pad. It's a warming element only. I can't until Saturday!

I saw on the news the Governor Abbott was having AG Paxton pursue anyone price gouging. Water was being sold for $24/case!! Abbott used to be the AG. I really like him; I voted for him when I lived in Austin and also I had to deal with the AG's office back then too. If someone hired an attorney against the TxDOT offices we had to have a state attorney step in to represent us. Anyway, he is a good guy and knows his stuff!

Dana
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking)
    March 15: 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    April: 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May: 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    June: 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July 2015: 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug: 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep 2015: 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct: 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov: 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec: 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan: 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb: 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    March 16: 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    April: 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May: 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    June: 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    July 2016: 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug: 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep 2016: 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct: 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov: 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec: 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan: 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb: 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar: 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr: 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May: 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    June: 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July: 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    August: 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min

In August, I ended up within the range I wanted to end up ... between my 2015 August and my 2016 August. I would have liked to get closer to my 2016 August, but a cold/flu/sinus infection kind of took me out of the game.

I see September has been a relatively low-exercise month the last two years ... ideally I'd like to improve on that and do slightly more this year. :)

Machka in Oz
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,072 Member
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    Hi, just joined the community and I'd like to get to know you lovely ladies. I live in New Zealand and am 51 years young. Am always trying to reach my ideal weight. Am setting goals for September.

Welcome here from just over the way in Tasmania. :)

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Hello September!!!!! Again as always, thank you Narbie. You always start the month with such encouraging remarks for all your kids here.

I saw the thing on Face Book on the furniture store that took in evacuees. It looked like many furniture stores that becaus it makes room groupings, that families could actually be in a room together with a little partition which might just be a big chair but still looked more homey than a convention center with rows and rows of cots. I also saw a picture of a fire station that looked quite roomy and more home like but it was for their firemen who just stay there 24/7 because they can't get home. Another remark I saw was that when his is over that they need to make a statue for the common man with his bass boat. I have seen inflatable swimming pools with kids in them and many other ways of getting rescued. I have said since about 9/11 that the world may need another 9/11. When USA had such an attack and there were thousand skilled, there was such a united outcry of togetherness not just form within our borders but form other countries. But it was short lived. Some one said it very eloquently that during this time in Houston they never heard reports of racial divides, sexuality issues, who gets what bathrooms, but just the devastation and the numerous heroic acts of kindness. Maybe the good man above does use these terrible things to bring us together for that particular time of need. I just wish we could remember how everything's me together 6 months from now.

Ok, that's my inspirational moment.

Neautiful day here in Evansvile. Michelle felt wel enough to get out. Well mainly because her dogs were driving her crazy. She has felt poorly for a couple of weekends and hasn't been able to get them out to the dog park to let them run off their energy. And two boxers have a lot of energy. She has a postal stamp size yard and they like her out their to play with them so they have just stayed in the house. A small house. W have a big back yard so they came over. She looks pale and pasty, skin is moist and heart is pounding still but she is on a big dose of prednisone and an inhaler which will make her heart pound. She was able to tell me about her short ER stay. When she first got there, they treated her as a possible heart attack. Severe chest pain and fast heart rate, yeah. So she got very immediate attention by a lot of people. They are still thinking about a cat scan since she still has quite a bit of chest pain although it s better. I was reading up on pleurisy and not all symptoms match although it sounds like it. But two weeks of prednisone should have given her relief if it was pleurisy. Yeah, a nurse think to much. I need to let the doctor treat her. So I did enjoy our short time with her. Her FMLA was approved so if she doesn't feel like going to work next week her job is protected. She got a $700 refund check today from Wells Fargo from unused escrow account.

Well Hurricane Harvery will start affecting us tomorrow. We Re pedicured about .7 inches of rain but right across the river is over 7 inches. That Ohio River protects us a lot from a lot of bad weather.

NYKAren, I forgot what kind of job you have,

PIp, good luck n your MS ride.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Dana – If you are talking about rocks; I have heated up the rocks in the oven in a pan covered with aluminum foil; and, taken some old broken crayons I haven’t used (I’m pretty silly when it comes to my ‘art’ supplies – I want them in one piece with the covers). When I break them I through them in a box. Back to the rocks. I put another pan covered with aluminum foil on top of the stove. Pull one rock out at a time and start melting the crayons on them. Sometimes (depending on the colors used) it is hard to tell one color from another; other times, it is obvious. I’ve used Paint pens on the few I have done over the wax coating. You can buy these pens at Michael’s or Hobby Lobby in a bunch of colors for less than $2. Just make sure you keep them closed when not in use and shake vigorously before you use them. You could also use acrylic paints; but, if I did I would use a spray sealant, just so the colors would not fade. I have had 3 rocks with the words: ”Hope”, “Love”, and “Faith” painted and outside for several years. I did not put any sealer on them; but, the only thing was the orange paint has faded over the years. I’m talking about 3 years. There again, you can buy big bottles of this for about $4 a piece. It dries quickly (so there again, keep the bottles closed). Foam brushes are good for a smooth coat. Then you can buy a ‘set’ of brushes for about $10 - $12 in all shapes. Some are bristle (hard) brushes; others are sable (soft) brushes (or you can buy just a few (more expensive) and pick and choose what you will be painting with. I have not tried ‘oils’; but, other than more brilliant colors; you’d have issues with drying time. Not worth the hassle. I would use the cheapest sealer, my preference would be a matt finish; but, a high gloss is also acceptable. Either way, the paint would need to be dry; and, you’d have to spray one side, then turn them over for the other. It doesn’t take long for it to dry. I would use a pair of tongs, to turn the rocks over to make sure every surface is covered. One thing about the crayons is that the excess will form on the bottom, which I personally like as it means the rocks won’t scratch any other surface such as a wood table top. I take a butter knife and while still warm, slice off some of the excess, just not all. I’m still trying out different things to use. Thinking of also buying some sequins and other things to make them sparkle. Glitter and that sort of thing. With the acrylic paints you can use things to make patterns. Pencil erasers for circles. Lay a leaf in the paint then lay it on the rock and mash it (carefully) on the hot/warm rock. I saw one on the ledge of the window at a donut place in Natchez; but, it was not a pretty rock and it was too big for my liking, so I left it alone. I still like the idea of leaving them in very public places. Grocery store shelves, along a path around a lake that people walk around. I get my rocks from a place that sells gravel, rocks, and sand … The last time I bought some, I got 6lbs for 77¢; so it is a real cheap hobby and it apparently brings a smile to those who find them.

Tiffanie – I drink the Sparkling ICE – Lemonade (even though it is carbonated) … it still has no calories. Tea or coffee counts; but, then you have to count the sugar put in it. I drink blueberry juice (hard to find full strength – Ocean Spray – it is wonderful). Got two bottles of it here in Louisiana. I count the calories; but, I also count it towards my liquid intake. But, I would not count 'milk' as liquid. My thought is 'if' it is 'clear liquid' it counts towards your daily liquid intake.

Allie – Margaret is right about being able to claim on TomCat income for Social Security and you will get more because he makes more than you have. Also, consider the difference in collecting early at 62 versus working to retirement age (now 66 and could go up). My BF who worked for the IRS was planning on working until she ‘retired’ at 'retirement age'; one day her supervisor was just giving her a work over and that night she went home and put pen to paper and the next day she walked in and told them that Friday would be her last day. She wasn’t going to be making that much more if she waited and would have to put up with this woman she despised for 3 more years. She went back to work for a CPA firm … supposedly ‘part-time’ … it ended up ‘full time’. The wife of this man would come in once a week for a few hours and come around giving everybody hell about ‘taking advantage of her husband’. Then he started making them clock in-and-out. She told him that she’d give him 35 hours a week; but, they would be only on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays. She ‘likes’ that money; but, she was not going to deal with his wife. I think she is about to back out and stop working altogether again. In a way I would like that because then the two of us could do things together again.

We’ve seen a jump of about 20¢ since we’ve been in LA over this week. If some @$$-O is charge $5 – report them to your Sheriff … 'price gouging' is what they are doing. It is ‘illegal’ for someone to charge more than a % over what they pay for the big underground tanks. They have to keep records of when they buy the gas for those tanks and they have to be deemed ‘empty’ when they go in and ‘fill them’. They don't have to be totally empty provided they don't have sludge build-up in them and would require to be dug up and cleaned out. I was sitting at a game when they started saying you could only buy 10 gallons at a time. I left to go get gas and the owner had gone up 50¢ a gallon in less than 15 minutes. I argued with him about ‘gas gouging’ and he said he wasn’t doing it. I called the Sheriff while standing there and reported him. The Sheriff was there in less than 10 minutes and this man had to pull out all his forms to show when he had purchased gas the last time. I got my gas for the 50¢ less per gallon. After that he just took down his ‘sign’ on how much it was worth. Typical jerk-off. I think that people who come into an area because of a disaster like “Harvey” ought to ‘sit their @$$e$ in jail’ when they take advantage of people in this manner. When we had storms in Albany back in January – Louis did not even ‘go there’. Too much of a hassle. Besides, he had enough work without being put off in getting paid.

Tonight for Will’s birthday we took them to "Rue 61" (a restaurant in Natchez, MS). I ordered fried shrimp. I ate 3 and that was ‘stuffing’ them … I got ill thinking of even trying to finish and looking at all the other ‘fried’ food on my plate that I did not touch. I was very happy that I had ordered a cup of gumbo. I’ve still got indigestion so bad I can hardly stand it.

Joyce - I’ll make sure to just replace the feather pillows. Just need to find 2 standard sizes. I’ve got king-sized feather pillows but Louis likes his really small one (about ½ of a standard sized pillow) since it has been slept on for so long, I can’t remember NOT sleeping with them.

Growing up the water in the town I grew up in would have ‘suds’ in it if you turned the water on high. Didn’t smell or anything; but, the suds just was kind of kooky.

I would say count it; others would probably say it is a diuretic. I count my Sparkling ICE drinks. IF the bottle shows ZERO calories, then you count the drink as zero calories; but, like juice. It’s liquid; but, the calories are from the sugar. I think you have to make that choice on your own. You’ll get 50 different opinions on that.

Lenora
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Of course I posted right after Barbie sent the new thread so bringing it over here-

So glad everyone's medical tests came back with such good news.

Clowe I also have never seen a blow out do so much damage. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Margaret lovely painting - I also love pictures of flowers they make me happy and it's the only thing I feel I draw well!

Allie is Sean the brother? What kind of meds is he off? Hope the weekend is NOT full of drama and everyone can relax and enjoy themselves.

Becca what made your son and daughter in law decide to settle in Vancouver?

Barbie and Katla girl-waving-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

Dreamwriter a full grown pit bull in your lap - wish someone had taken a picture of that . . . lol

Heather you are so adventurous with your cooking - wish I were there to sample it!

DJ how goes the saga with DH & DD? Haven't heard anything lately so hope that means things are better <3

Mary you have a very smart husband!

Saturday my DDs with their families and step-son with his and I are heading to Ocean Shores for the day. The weather is suppose to be perfect over there and my DGSs have never seen the ocean so should be a fun day for all!
    I will take pictures to share.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. The boys are back to school next week. Hooray!!!

Love to all - Gloria in WA <3B)<3