Becoming a Vegetarian

Options
Hello from Small Town, USA!

I am currently in the process of transitioning into vegetarianism. I downloaded this app to help track my body's progress, and to connect with a community of people seeking a better life. I've struggled with my weight for most of my life, and I am looking forward to a longer, happier lifestyle.

Any tips/tricks/recipes for making this change a positive experience are much appreciated!

Replies

• clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Is it for health reasons or you do not believe in eating animals? Just curious about motivation. I am not but, I am trying to eat more vegetables. I love the steamers from Green Giant or BirdEye. They are quick and easy. Just add pepper and a little butter to broccoli or spinach.
  • Kdwishes
    Kdwishes Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am no longer a vegetarian, but I was for over a year. I had a surgery that pretty much killed it for me, and then I just had a hard time starting over. One tip that I have is logging food was really helpful. It was just a great visual to know if I was getting what I needed. Plus it helps to deter you from eating too much crap...which can happen in any type of diet. Good luck! Add me if you are looking for non vegetarian support friends in addition to vegetarians.
  • ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Is it for health reasons or you do not believe in eating animals? Just curious about motivation. I am not but, I am trying to eat more vegetables. I love the steamers from Green Giant or BirdEye. They are quick and easy. Just add pepper and a little butter to broccoli or spinach.

A little bit of both! We don't need animal protein to survive (in most instances), and I definitely don't condone the torture/slaughter of animals. I am also doing it for my personal health and well being. Heart disease, high cholesterol and diabetes all run heavily in my family.

I love veggies, so I don't think I'll struggle too much there. But I grew up in a meat and potatoes kind of a household, so I'm afraid of the cravings that I know will eventually hit.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    spidergoat wrote: »
    Hi! I'm also transitioning to vegetarianism. I'm doing it because I don't care for meat that much and I think it will be less expensive. From what I've read so far, the basics seem to be eat beans and greens and healthy fats and whole grains and some fruit. I would look up some recipes that seem appealing to you. I meal prep, so I try to find stuff that will keep well in the fridge for 3-5 days. My meals for this week will be African peanut stew with brown rice and a lentil-mushroom-sweet potato casserole. Make sure to put your recipes into MFP so you are still getting enough calories. For example, the lentil casserole has about 250 calories if you go by the servings suggested by the recipe. I adjusted the recipe so the servings are bigger so I can meet my calorie goals. (I would eat fewer calories, but I have some medications I take that require a certain amount of calories with them.) Hope this helps a bit.

I didn't even think of entering the recipes...thanks for the suggestion! I also meal prep, and I was struggling to find fresh foods that last more than a couple of days.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    supplement B12
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    supplement B12

Thank you!
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    You can live healthily on a vegetarian diet as long as you ensure have plenty of protein and iron.
    Include nuts, seeds, beans, lentils and legumes.
    Dairy and eggs if you are include them.

Research on the internet Vegetarian recipes and eating plans.
    Start off with a couple ata time and buil on it.
    Vegetarian doesn't need to be boring.

I have my bloods taken every three months and my iron and haemoglobin levels are higher now than when I was a meat eater.

You can reach out to your MFP family who can share recipes and food tips with you.

And a B12 supplement is essential for you as it runs the nervous system, along with other body system functions.

While Vegetarianism is a very healthy way of eating, keep your creamy rich sauces and soups to a minimum. Use tomato based sauces as an alternative.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    VEGETABLE CURRY

1 tablespoons olive oil
    3 large brown onions (sliced)
    3 tablespoons yellow curry paste
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic

Add to a large stock pot and fry for five minutes.
    Add 1 litre vegetable stock and stir well.
    Add 250gm dried red lentils, 1 zucchini, 3 carrots (cut in rings and stir well. Cover with water. Add 1 can drained chick peas and kidney beans.
    Place on lid. Bring to boil. Stir well.
    Cook 15 minutes.
    Reduce heat to low. Add 2 cups broccoli florets and 1 cup frozen peas and more water to cover the top as it thickens. Stir thoroughly.
    Cook a further 10 minutes.
    Turn off heat and serve.
    Can add a little Greek yogurt at this stage.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    do you have meat replacements in the US? Quorn is the main one in the UK and is perfect for meals such as chilli and curry -it's a healthy, low fat protein.
    Also try BBC Good Food website-has really good veggie recipes
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

A little bit of both! We don't need animal protein to survive (in most instances), and I definitely don't condone the torture/slaughter of animals. I am also doing it for my personal health and well being. Heart disease, high cholesterol and diabetes all run heavily in my family.

I love veggies, so I don't think I'll struggle too much there. But I grew up in a meat and potatoes kind of a household, so I'm afraid of the cravings that I know will eventually hit.

Will you be excluding all animal protein? If so, make sure you read up on all of the various plant based proteins so you can have lots of variety to keep it interesting.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the experience and open your taste buds. I did this two ways: 1) I ate at Vegetarian / Vegan restaurants and I'd ask the staff to make recommendations. 2) Someone on MFP told me to invest in the '1000 Vegan Recipe' cookbook. How can I not find something I like with 1000 recipes to hand. All recipes can be adapted, so my meals were mainly vegetarian and some vegan. Have fun with it and your taste buds are in for a treat that I can assure you. Enjoy :)
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I used to think the same about the inevitable cravings but they rarely came and now when I see meat it looks like flesh and I don't miss it at all(its funny how one can change). Some advice given to me was to change one meal at a time. This was priceless.

I took a regular meal I liked and made it vegetarian. Pasta with sausages, became pasta with vegetarian sausages with a veggie sauce. And so my transformation began. Add to that eating at veggie / vegan restaurants and cooking meals from my recipe book. I soon had tasty, delicious meals to hand.

I was always funny about meat and knew protein comes from many sources. I spent time working out how I could maintain the same levels, I ate well, gym'd hard and VeggieBarbells was born. Enjoy the journey :)
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Been Whole Food Plant based for two months, but transitioned to it slowly from the end of Feb to the end of June when I jumped in with both feet. I started with dairy, then red meat then it was chicken and the last thing I gave up was eggs and it's been pretty amazing. I have not had many cravings, very rare for me, but I also was very focused to turn around some health issues, so it was easy to let the cravings go. Half the fun is finding new recipes and as VeggieBarbell said taking old recipes and reworking them. I would suggest Forks-Over-Knives and The Engine 2 diet book. It is not really a diet, but a great way to approach eliminating animal protein and by products. Here's to a new life. Have fun and don't think of it in terms of, "what I can't eat, but focus on what you choose to eat."
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice! For now, I have cut out all meat, but not all animal protein. I am going to eat eggs sparingly as I transition into new protein options. I'm struggling a little bit to get all of my protein, but I'm getting so close. I've cut out most dairy, but not all (struggling with cheese and yogurt esoecially!). I think the one meal at a time suggestion is incredible. Last night I was really craving meat sauce spaghetti, but ended with a delicious vegetarian ravioli, and don't feel like I missed out at all! Meat substitutes scare me a little, but I have tried some veggie burgers that I really liked, and they were a great alternative at cookouts. I am so excited to for all the new foods I'm sure to discover on this journey.

Your recipes are so welcome and appreciated! :)
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    One more thing...do you all take B12 supplements? It wasn't really somethong that crossed my mind, but absolutely makes sense.
  • Thamesbank
    Thamesbank Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a varied diet inc eggs and dairy products I don't think B12 is an issue, I'll have been a Vegetarian for 30 years come next July and couldn't be fitter or healthier and have never taken a supplement of any kind.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thamesbank wrote: »
    If you're eating a varied diet inc eggs and dairy products I don't think B12 is an issue, I'll have been a Vegetarian for 30 years come next July and couldn't be fitter or healthier and have never taken a supplement of any kind.

this. Ive been a vegetarian since birth, heavy on dairy products, no issue of any deficiency so far.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    Thamesbank wrote: »

this. Ive been a vegetarian since birth, heavy on dairy products, no issue of any deficiency so far.

Thank you both!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    One more thing...do you all take B12 supplements? It wasn't really somethong that crossed my mind, but absolutely makes sense.

There are no plant sources of B12, so if you're planning on being a lacto-ovo vegetarian, you will get B12 from eggs and dairy. However, if you're going vegan, you'll either need to include foods fortified with B12 or take a supplement. Since I don't eat fortified foods daily, I choose to supplement.