Advice on macros

Options
Hi guys!

I starting bulking and I just want to know where my macros should be at? For example this app put me at Carbs 50%, fat 30% and protein 20%. Does that sound about right? If not should I adjust it?

Replies

• deedee825
    deedee825 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Most of us don't follow a percentage of macros, we set macros by gram. Protein is first and we set it to about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. The other two we just see where they naturally land and don't stress it unless fat trends low.

So you're saying the percentages don't matter. We should juat follow the grams?
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp - I am bulking and getting my MFP daily calories however, I have not been meeting my fat (g) per day. Does this matter if I am getting the calories?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    deedee825 wrote: »
    Most of us don't follow a percentage of macros, we set macros by gram. Protein is first and we set it to about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. The other two we just see where they naturally land and don't stress it unless fat trends low.

for most of us it is easier to just use a set amount of protein a day (personally mine is 140g) - because I cycle carbs, so I have different calorie goals each day (so my protein percentage would also change) - using g keeps is even
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »
    @usmcmp - I am bulking and getting my MFP daily calories however, I have not been meeting my fat (g) per day. Does this matter if I am getting the calories?

@Pielattes1 Fat is important for a variety of reasons, especially while bulking. I would suggest you eat a minimum of .3 grams of fat per pound of total body weight. Getting the calories is the most important part, but your body needs fat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

For most people the percentages don't matter, meeting a minimum of protein and fats is important and beyond that it's personal preference.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Yes. That's what she's saying.

OP: I take 0.8 gram protein per lean body mass in pound. Fats and carbs fall in place automatically with my normal food choices. I end up with 50c, 25p, 25f percentages.