Squats

Hi! I've always tried to stay healthy, but I'm new to weightlifting. I'm a 31-year-old woman, and right now I'm at about the weight I'd like to be (5'4" and 120lbs). The only weight-lifting I'm currently doing are squats. Twice a week, I do some warm-up sets then 3-sets of 5-reps of my "working set." Right now, that's 95lbs, but I'm trying to add 5lbs per week. (Other days, I do cardio or yoga). My goal is to get a better butt. I guess my question is:

1. Is this enough? Or do I need to be doing more reps, more days per week, more variety of lifts?
2. When will I likely start seeing results (I've just finished 4 weeks)?

Thank you all so much! I've always loved reading the boards and using the app, but this is my first post.

Best,
Kelsey

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    To improve your butt you need a lot more than just squats. Look up Strong Curves.

This.
  • bbell1985 wrote: »
    To improve your butt you need a lot more than just squats. Look up Strong Curves.

This.

Both of these things. And to make sure your in a slight surplus
  • e123b123
    e123b123 Posts: 27 Member
    Thing 1- you need to do more sets of squats.
    Thing 2- try doing lunges.

Best of luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    e123b123 wrote: »

Best of luck!

More sets of squats and then adding lunges are really not what the OP needs. A well rounded program is what she needs. Things like barbell hip thrusts, good mornings, deadlifts (all varieties), other types of squats with different rep ranges, and then on top of that adding in some upper body work to support lower body growth.
  • kelsanncox
    kelsanncox Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks, everyone! I've order the Strong Curves book, and it looks great. I was just able to see some preview images so far, but it seems to include quite a few body weight exercises. Are those really effective and efficient once you've started lifting real weight?

I'm also trying to be more aware of my macros and have a small surplus. This always worries me because I'm so used to cardio and calorie deficits, but I'm trying to trust
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    e123b123 wrote: »

Best of luck!

More sets of squats and then adding lunges are really not what the OP needs. A well rounded program is what she needs. Things like barbell hip thrusts, good mornings, deadlifts (all varieties), other types of squats with different rep ranges, and then on top of that adding in some upper body work to support lower body growth.

I have never heard of goodmornings.... they sound fun! I will google them.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Thank you @usmcmp I found them. I'm going to try them.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Strong Curves has a bodyweight program for those unable to access equipment. It also helps a lot with form. I learned so much about proper form from SC. I've done 2 rounds of the beginner program and am currently on week 9 of the advanced program.
  • destinykeith22
    destinykeith22 Posts: 17 Member
    Resistance Bands! Also you need something that just targets the glutes!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Another vote for Strong Curves.
  • kelsanncox

Destinykeith22, I saw your result pics in your post; awesome job! What do you recommend to target glutes specifically? I kind of thought that's why I'd focus on squats. Have you tried this Strong Curves regimine?
  • kelsanncox
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Strong Curves has a bodyweight program for those unable to access equipment. It also helps a lot with form. I learned so much about proper form from SC. I've done 2 rounds of the beginner program and am currently on week 9 of the advanced program.

I'm definitely a form-focused person. That's what interested me about SC as soon as I looked it up. And you've seen results from SC?

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    kelsanncox wrote: »
    capaul42 wrote: »

I'm definitely a form-focused person. That's what interested me about SC as soon as I looked it up. And you've seen results from SC?

I have. No pics because I'm still 25lbs from my goal weight. But I have seen a big change in my butt over the last year. Not to mention the progress in strength.
    Figuring to do another round of the advanced program before building my own using his tips and template. Hopefully I will reach my goal weight by then. No hurry.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited September 2017
    So, I will chime in......I have helped a lot of women get a 'bigger booty'. Everyone is different and everyone responds differently, but there are certain things to consider.

1. If you want a bigger booty, then you need to eat more food! Plain and simple. And, to be clear, because of the increased exercise you will be doing! LOL!
    2. If you want to increase your booty, then you need to do glute-specific exercises.
    3. Doing compound lifts, like squats and dead lifts, are great. Generally speaking. But not necessarily great for what you are trying to do specifically.
    4. Doing more and more squats may - or may not - help you. Are you quad-dominant in the squat?
    5. Doing Dead Lifts will - generally speaking - help you BIG TIME. AMAZING EXERCISE! Not that I am partial!
    6. Doing the secondary exercises to glute and hamstring work (hey - don't forget hamstrings!!!!)
    7. Resistance bands - as mentioned already - will be a game changer for you (well, likely)

There are a lot of questions to ask you.....sorry, not trying to be overwhelming, but there are some things that you need to do to effectively hit the glutes. Squats and Dead Lifts are a great start. But, for most, not even close to enough. And, definitely not 'focused' for what your goal is.

Are you doing any hip flexibility | mobility exercises before you do squats?

And, I *kitten*/u/me that you are doing back squats, right? There are also front squats.......just saying! :smile:

Part of the 'bigger booty' is changing the proportion relative to the rest of you. So, if the rest of you stays the same or gets a little smaller and your booty gets bigger....then - proportionally - it will look a lot bigger. If, however, you are indeed quad-dominant in the squat then doing squats might not be the right idea - for you!

Also, what is your expectation with respect to time? Building a bigger booty can be a year or two in the making. So, I would hope that your expectation is not "by Christmas"......you might be disappointed.

Lastly, no matter what you do - form is all important. There are queues for each lift. Super important to get all that right. You can really hurt yourself if your form is off and you lift heavy enough ('heavy' for you, that is...). I can sing a song or two about finding out just how bad my form was. Now, praise the good Lord, I have really really good form.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    And, sorry for the *kitten*.........I forgot about that.....it was what happens when you assume.....
  • destinykeith22
    destinykeith22 Posts: 17 Member
    kelsanncox wrote: »

Destinykeith22, I saw your result pics in your post; awesome job! What do you recommend to target glutes specifically? I kind of thought that's why I'd focus on squats. Have you tried this Strong Curves regimine?

I lift heavy working legs 2-3x, squats, cables, resistance bands, step-ups, deadlifts, etc all with very heavy weight. I may do 4-8reps with each doing anywhere from 4-5 sets.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Thanks for the great advice on this thread!
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Squats will target butt, but also quads and hamstrings. If your goal is strength with bigger butt as well as legs then squats are good.

If you only want a better butt but not big legs to go with, then focus more on glute only exercises.
  • GerlaineGerry
    GerlaineGerry Posts: 14 Member
    Only squats will not get you a nice round butt. You need to add more leg workouts ( lunges, squats, leg press, glute kickbacks ,etc) to hit all glute muscles. Some days you can lift heavy and some other days I would do plyos, or lighter weights with higher reps. To gain muscle you have to eat in a surplus. Once you are satisfied with your gains you can cut meaning cutting your calorie intake and doing more cardio which will melt your fat away and make your hard earned muscles visible