Need help with my macros!

BlownStrength
BlownStrength Posts: 7 Member
Hi! Thanks in advance. I have been logging my macros for the past few days after gave it a big thought to try it since the app has gotten a lot easier. I am 37 M 5'10" 178 lbs with about 20% bf. I have not done a Dexa scan yet. I am not sure if I should scan my bf now or later when I cut. I came back to lifting for last 3 years in an average of 4 times a week. I used to be 190 with higher bf. My current intake is about 3200-3350 high carbs protein then followed by fat. This app is suggesting 50 25 25. I posted some progress pictures for comments and recommendations. hzeagndvq4hy.jpg
bod7drpbfslb.jpg
51yjby26e5tv.jpg
3hg3k8ow46jx.jpg

Replies

• BlownStrength
    Today's intake 5btui4sqyeq1.png
  • BlownStrength
    I have looked into it. No where I could find a macro set up will work for my goal. I stopped doing cardio so I can store more and grow quicker. Thanks for the link.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    that intake is very similar to mine (albeit I have smaller portions but the percentage works) and I'm slowly recomping

having a progressive strength program will be key to helping you, if you don't have that going already
  • BlownStrength
    I am currently training about 4 times a week. Heavy high volume workout with 4 sets and 10 reps per body part with shorter breaks in between sets. I am not doing any cardio or HIIT so I can hold onto my gains. Any thoughts?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    You may be overthinking this. .8 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, .35 to .45 grams of fat per lb of body weight. The rest is what ever the heck you want it to be. Carbs usually, more fat? More protein? There are those who would say if you are going for muscle growth, bump up the protein some. Your choice and only trial and error will tell you what will work best for you.

You've made some nice progress. Congrats.
  • BlownStrength
    Thanks! I usually try to keep my protein intake higher all year along to stay lean. According to this app and others suggestions, I need to up my carb intake so I started to log my macros now. My goal is get upto 190 with 20% bf. I am not doing any cardio at this moment. Just lifting with high reps. I made my intake public. Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Thanks! I usually try to keep my protein intake higher all year along to stay lean. According to this app and others suggestions, I need to up my carb intake so I started to log my macros now. My goal is get upto 190 with 20% bf. I am not doing any cardio at this moment. Just lifting with high reps. I made my intake public. Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Bulking above 15% is like shooting your self in the face.

Chasing the scale is not a good way to build muscle.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member

^This. Also, protein intake has nothing to do with staying lean. CICO determines leaness.

And I recommend some sort of cardio - cardio vascular health is important, no matter in a bulk or cut. Adjust intake accordingly.
  • BlownStrength

Scale is deceptive as well know. Yes 15% gain is doable at least I am setting my goal. I was just wondering if I should up my carbs above 500 vs suggested by this app 411 and keep my protein intake baicly one gram per body weight. I normally take in more protein more or less one and a half grams per body weight.
  • BlownStrength
    dieselbyte wrote: »

^This. Also, protein intake has nothing to do with staying lean. CICO determines leaness.

And I recommend some sort of cardio - cardio vascular health is important, no matter in a bulk or cut. Adjust intake accordingly.
    More protein aids muscle cell rebuild process where natural creatine and amino. So when you are on a somewhat lean stage you are more prone to injury by heavier lifting. Yes I was thinking about incline walk and throw in some elliptical. Cardio vascular workout absolutely helps your heart.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    More protein aids muscle cell rebuild process where natural creatine and amino. So when you are on a somewhat lean stage you are more prone to injury by heavier lifting. Yes I was thinking about incline walk and throw in some elliptical. Cardio vascular workout absolutely helps your heart.
    More protein aids muscle rebuild process to a point. After that point you're basically just making expensive urine.
  • Matt151288mfp
    Matt151288mfp Posts: 37 Member
    Hi! Thanks in advance. I have been logging my macros for the past few days after gave it a big thought to try it since the app has gotten a lot easier. I am 37 M 5'10" 178 lbs with about 20% bf. I have not done a Dexa scan yet. I am not sure if I should scan my bf now or later when I cut. I came back to lifting for last 3 years in an average of 4 times a week. I used to be 190 with higher bf. My current intake is about 3200-3350 high carbs protein then followed by fat. This app is suggesting 50 25 25. I posted some progress pictures for comments and recommendations. hzeagndvq4hy.jpg
    bod7drpbfslb.jpg
    51yjby26e5tv.jpg
    3hg3k8ow46jx.jpg
    You look lower than 20% I’d say 14 easy
  • siv1979
    siv1979 Posts: 32 Member
    Way lower than 20