Pcos weight loss

Hello ,everyone will be starting on my next goal to lose weight. I have pcos
And its a struggle. I'm hoping this diet will help get it under control.my next goal is 20 pounds. I main thing is I am hoping to get at my average weight.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Losing weight will relieve symptoms of PCOS and generally improve your health. Stop the struggle and succeed by losing hope!

Instead, set a realistic calorie goal (whatever MFP gives you when you tell it you want to lose 1% of your body weight per week). Use your food diary and a food scale, and use them correctly (you may have to figure out how to use them correctly). Don't go on a diet. Eat food you like, but be prepared to eat less. Don't try to undereat to "speed up the process" (that always backfires). Be patient. Trust the process. Weigh yourself regularly and learn what information the scale gives you, and what it doesn't tell you. Exercise for health and well-being, not to lose weight.
  • adrscheuerman
    adrscheuerman Posts: 58 Member
    I have PCOS too, and since I've been dieting, I've felt better. It's a slow process, but worth it. Add me and we can encourage each other.
  • MerriBerryContrary
    MerriBerryContrary Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2017
    I have PCOS as well, and my friends have recommended a ketosis lifestyle for me specifically because PCOS hormones make it difficult or impossible for our bodies to process insulin and burn carbs/sugars effectively for energy. Thus it is effective for people like me to use fats as my energy and main calorie source and cut out what my body has difficulty processing. My friend with PCOS has lost 80 pounds so far on keto, so since I am actually watching her do it I feel more confident that it's not another fad diet that always fails and makes me feel worse about myself. I'm excited to give it a try since everything else I can only lose about 15-20 pounds and then it plateaus and then I gain it back. Feel free to add me if you need an accountability buddy or just someone to chat with about PCOS.
  • MarieTrees23
    MarieTrees23 Posts: 35 Member
    I have PCOS. Started at 230- got to 156 by doing gluten free (low carbs come with the lifestyle- unless you sub for processed GF Foods). Cut out "bad" stuff. Tried to eat veggies with every meal, etc. I actually got pregnant at 156, but now I'm restarting at 189- current weight 182. You can most definitely lose weight with pcos. Just try to be patient with yourself. As soon as you start seeing progress you won't want to go back. :)
  • curtains2day
    curtains2day Posts: 12 Member
    I have PCOS. My entire family is diabetic. So last month I decided enough was enough. I need to put me first! I am 38, and it wont be long before I hear the doctor saying I am diabetic. So I am acting now, before its too late! My body is insulin resistance and the 1200 calorie diets just weren't cutting it. I was hungry and moody (cuz you would have high carbs in those 1200 calories and spike your already poor insulin!)

So my friend told me about atkins, I started doing that for about 2 weeks. I saw results from eating under 20 carbs a day. But I started reading and researching more. I just don't think I can ever introduce carbs back into my life at any level. My body hates them. So I have turned to the ketogenic diet instead, it's not my diet, it's now my lifestyle and will be forever. I love the way it makes me feel. I love the food options! And being insulin resistance, so far the pounds have just melted off (lost 20 pounds in 20 days..yah some of that was water weight lol)! Anyone with PCOS and keto, feel free to add me! :)

Height: 5'3
    Starting Weight: 223.0lbs (August 15th) Atkins for 1-2 weeks
    Current Weight: 202.8lbs Keto
    Goal Weight: 120lbs

Also taking cinnamon tablets to keep blood sugar low, and probiotic tablets!

• curtains2day
    curtains2day Posts: 12 Member
    What is pcos? I have just started Atkins but trying to go into ketosis. I almost make it but then I get a convenient food and blow it. It's Monday morning. Trying again. I have lost about 2 lbs in a week
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    I also have PCOS. It's hard to lose weight on it but after much effort and time, I've lost 70 lbs. It's possible, you just have to work really hard. My PCOS symptoms are almost gone. Part of that is due I think to going gluten free, although I did that because of medical reasons, not to lose weight. But consistent, regular exercise and healthy eating has helped me tremendously. I used to be in so much pain all the time and absolutely miserable from it. I'm so grateful things have gotten a lot better!
  • stelafaro
    stelafaro Posts: 27 Member
    what is PCOS?
  • Jenlcaine
    Jenlcaine Posts: 1 Member
    Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • msemiliejean
    msemiliejean Posts: 24 Member
    My bff has PCOS and I've seen how difficult it's been for her to manage. I feel for all you ladies who are working on it! I don't have PCOS but I have hormonal imbalances and I've been trying to balance out through diet and lifestyle. Have any of you tried incorporating maca powder? It's said to be a powder that balances hormones and so far I'm absolutely loving it.

If anyone is into YouTube I would totally recommend checking out Sarah's Day. She's this adorable Aussie girl with PCOS who follows a Paleo diet. She's super positive and she shares what she eats, what's worked for her and not to mention she's insanely fit so she's such an incredible source of motivation!