Supplement Guidance

Age 22
Weight 140 lbs
Height 5'11
I'm looking to gain another 15-20 lbs.
What are the supplements I should be looking for?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Food.

You have to be in a caloric surplus (eating more calories than you're expending) to gain weight.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Food.

You have to be in a caloric surplus (eating more calories than you're expending) to gain weight.

Dammit, that's what I was going to say!

Make sure you get a decent amount of protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Food.

Dammit, that's what I was going to say!

Make sure you get a decent amount of protein.

Me too.

Food, thirded.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Food+sleep+lift progressively heavier things+patience=gains.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Food+sleep+lift progressively heavier things+patience=gains.

uon46v89myvn.gif
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    All of the above......look at roughly 140g of Protein (roughly....being the key word) and then find the mix of Carbs/Fats that work for you.

Supplements are just that.....supplements. You - in a perfect world - would be getting all of your nutritional requirements (both macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients) from the food that you eat. Now, since this is not a perfect world.....

If I might ask, what was your reasoning behind your question? Meaning, did you have something which you were trying to confirm? Or, are you asking to make sure that you are not missing something (because, you don't know what you don't know, right?).

Actually, on top of the things already mentioned....to be specific 'lift progressively heav....' likely infers a program. With respect to training, are you following a program? Or doing your own thing? Either way, what is your training experience?

And, have you ever done a bulk or a cut before? If so, how often? If both, how long for both?

I know, I know.....answering your question with 20 more!
  • saurabh26
    saurabh26 Posts: 41 Member
    All of the above......look at roughly 140g of Protein (roughly....being the key word) and then find the mix of Carbs/Fats that work for you.

Supplements are just that.....supplements. You - in a perfect world - would be getting all of your nutritional requirements (both macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients) from the food that you eat. Now, since this is not a perfect world.....

If I might ask, what was your reasoning behind your question? Meaning, did you have something which you were trying to confirm? Or, are you asking to make sure that you are not missing something (because, you don't know what you don't know, right?).

Actually, on top of the things already mentioned....to be specific 'lift progressively heav....' likely infers a program. With respect to training, are you following a program? Or doing your own thing? Either way, what is your training experience?

And, have you ever done a bulk or a cut before? If so, how often? If both, how long for both?

I gained around 15 kgs in 5 months but it has been around 3 months and I haven't been gaining. I'm taking a weight gainer. Should I take more supplements??
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    saurabh26 wrote: »

I gained around 15 kgs in 5 months but it has been around 3 months and I haven't been gaining. I'm taking a weight gainer. Should I take more supplements??

More food!

What is this obsession with supplements all about?
    You shouldn't be deficient in any nutrients when bulking and that's what supplements are for - to correct deficiencies.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2017
    sijomial wrote: »

More food!

What is this obsession with supplements all about?
    You shouldn't be deficient in any nutrients when bulking and that's what supplements are for - to correct deficiencies.

There are some exceptions to this (Vitamin D, vitamin E, Zinc, Magnesium and Selenium come to mind), but that's more to do with the fact that people don't often consume large quantities of food rich in them, pretty much ever. The exception to that being Vit D, as that's barely in anything. Even foods fortified with it have laughable amounts.

This is likely especially true for the minerals listed, as they're primarily found in greens and mushrooms, and people often have a hard enough time eating bulking kcals without a buttload of spinach and mushrooms involved.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

If you're not eating enough food (which you're not if you aren't gaining), no supplement is going to change that. You need CALORIES.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017

If you're not eating enough food (which you're not if you aren't gaining), no supplement is going to change that. You need CALORIES.

Well technically a protein shake could help if it was in addition to their diet. But base calories cant change.

But considering the OP is already drinking weight gainers (which are crap), id recommend looking into seeing how to achieve her goals without supplements. Or once off, gains will be lost.
  • saurabh26
    psuLemon wrote: »

Well technically a protein shake could help if it was in addition to their diet. But base calories cant change.

But considering the OP is already drinking weight gainers (which are crap), id recommend looking into seeing how to achieve her goals without supplements. Or once off, gains will be lost.

His* goals.
    Secondly, Weight gainers consist of more calories compared to protein shakes.
    I'm also focusing on my macros so I take appropriate carbs and protein.
    I just wanted to know if I should take pre workout, glutamine or creatine (Any of it)
    Thanks.
  • psuLemon

His* goals.
    I just wanted to know if I should take pre workout, glutamine or creatine (Any of it)
    Thanks.

Sorry, i was am on my phone, so i couldnt look at your profile..

Read the below. Most store bought weight gainers are crap. They are overpriced protein shakes with a ton of dextrose and maltadextrin. If you make your own, its a bit different.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Creatine may help indirectly with gains as its in intramuscular saturator which can help you push out a few more reps.
  • saurabh26

His* goals.
    Thanks.

Read the below. Most store bought weight gainers are crap. They are overpriced protein shakes with a ton of dextrose and maltadextrin. If you make your own, its a bit different.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Creatine may help indirectly with gains as its in intramuscular saturator which can help you push out a few more reps.

The article is really helpful. Thanks.
    Um can I eat Chips and Pizza too or should I just avoid that kinda stuff and rather eat fruits, vegetables? Coz if I'm not allowed to eat 'everything' it gets a bit hard.
    And will I look okay after gaining 20 lbs or do I have to gain 30-40 lbs and start cutting??
  • psuLemon

His* goals.
    Thanks.

The article is really helpful. Thanks.
    Um can I eat Chips and Pizza too or should I just avoid that kinda stuff and rather eat fruits, vegetables? Coz if I'm not allowed to eat 'everything' it gets a bit hard.
    And will I look okay after gaining 20 lbs or do I have to gain 30-40 lbs and start cutting??

Id recommend you eat a variety of foods, which includes fruits, veggies, fish, and l ean meats but other stiff like pizza. It really doesnt have to be a one or the other mentality. But what you can do is cook things in butters or oils..

And id assess how you lool as you gain. But once you get close to 20% body fat, you are better off cutting and then keep cycling.