Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Replies

• Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    I had an appt. with a new GYN earlier this year, and she commented on my weight, which I did not find offensive. What I did, however, take offense to, was that she then proceeded to lecture me on how I am clearly not eating any of the right things (she did not ask what I actually eat). She told me to either become a vegetarian, or to only eat any form of animal-based protein a few times a month, to never eat beef because "that stuff is for kids", and avoid carbs. I left feeling upset, because she made it seem like that was the only way I would ever be healthy, but honestly, starving for the rest of my life does not seem like a better alternative. As an engineer though, I take things very literally, so when she says no carbs, I assume that she means it. Maybe beans, quinoa, etc. are ok? Maybe she is vegan and thinks everyone else should be too. Hard to know.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    The only thing my Dr has ever commented about on weight was when I went in for an annual, then 6 months later for illness then annual again, then in for an illness again. So I was about 205lbs, then 182, then 194lbs, then 183. He was like ????? you dropped 23lbs then regained 12lbs, then lost 11lbs. What's going on? I explained bulking and cutting at that point.
    He was flabbergasted (<-love that word) since, as he said, he normally doesn't see that ability to bounce up and down in weight unless there's a medical condition or eating disorder.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited September 2017
    When I was about 15 (early to mid 90's). I was overweight. My dr (who lacks any semblance of an appropriate bedside manner) told me I needed to "lose weight soon." After that, he would just give me a "look."

I went to college and lost 60+lbs. He was right; I did need to lose weight, but I knew that before he said anything.

I think a health professional SHOULD say something once. It's her professional responsibility to do so...after that, it doesn't need to be harped on. That's not likely to motivate someone to lose weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    If ever went to a doctor at my current weight and they DIDN'T tell me to lose weight, I would never visit them again, because I couldn't trust any other health advice they gave me.

Being overweight is unhealthy. Period. End of debate. There is no ifs, ands, butts, or exceptions to that rule. All other things held equal a thinner person is healthier than a fatter one. Every time.

If you are fat and have good bloodwork and vitals then you have them IN SPITE of your obesity.

Overweight and obese are not the same things. Well, you can't be obese without being overweight, but you can be overweight without being obese.

You can be overweight and healthy. Now that obesity is classified as a disease it would be impossible to be obese and healthy, regardless of bloodwork.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    The only doctor who mentioned my weight was my OB/GYN. I was seeing her for a prolapsed uterus. She mentioned that if I lost a bit of weight, the symptoms might be less pronounced. She also told me (when I was pregnant) that I needed to be more careful with how much I was gaining, however conceded that I was retaining a lot of water so as long as my test results continued to be good (they were), she wouldn't require me to diet/restrict calories.

My regular doctor remarked that she noticed that I had lost weight when I had dropped around 50 lbs (from 180 to 130), but I've mostly been in the "overweight" section of the chart, and not obese, so I think they don't say as much.

I'm in Canada, where doctors are also hard to get in to, so they're not worried about loss of income.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    The only doctor who mentioned my weight was my OB/GYN. I was seeing her for a prolapsed uterus. She mentioned that if I lost a bit of weight, the symptoms might be less pronounced. She also told me (when I was pregnant) that I needed to be more careful with how much I was gaining, however conceded that I was retaining a lot of water so as long as my test results continued to be good (they were), she wouldn't require me to diet/restrict calories.

My regular doctor remarked that she noticed that I had lost weight when I had dropped around 50 lbs (from 180 to 130), but I've mostly been in the "overweight" section of the chart, and not obese, so I think they don't say as much.

I'm in Canada, where doctors are also hard to get in to, so they're not worried about loss of income.

Aren't our doctors paid by the Government? Then it wouldn't matter at all if they lost a patient who got offended because that patient causes no effect on their income.

Are they paid a flat salary regardless of number of patients?
  • Need2Exerc1se

Aren't our doctors paid by the Government? Then it wouldn't matter at all if they lost a patient who got offended because that patient causes no effect on their income.

Are they paid a flat salary regardless of number of patients?

I just googled and I think it depends on where they work, but a lot of doctors are actually government employees and they're paid on salary, I believe. So in those cases, number of patients wouldn't matter.

Interesting (I'm in the US). I could see pros and cons to this. More incentive to keep you healthy so they only need to see you for checkups. But I wonder if it also might keep some doctors from taking new patients or targeting patients with more illness since seeing more patients or more visits doesn't generate more income.
  • Staceyblewin
    Staceyblewin Posts: 96 Member
    Mine has said "Well you know you need to lose weight" and then moves on to other stuff.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I wonder if whether or not a doctor will mention it or not is correlated to what kind of group or practice they're in. I know people who have GPs that are part of very large groups...they actually rarely see they're actual doctor...usually different PAs and they have no meaningful relationship with their actual doctor. From what I hear about it, it sounds like a turnstile and they never really receive anything meaningful in regards to their health other than results of blood work, etc.

My GP and his wife own their own practice...there are no PAs, so if you go to the doctor, you go to the doctor. I have solid relationship with my doctor...he doesn't have to look at a chart to see who I am and knows most of my issues and potential issues by heart...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm older, and when I was growing up, weight was brought up every. single. time. I went to the doctor. I dreaded going, because it seemed like no matter what I went to see my family doctor for, it always came back to my weight. Sore throat? Lose weight. Flu? Lose weight. He was one of those, and he and others like him are why a lot of doctors don't mention weight now.

I think there's a middle ground between the way it used to be and never mentioning it, and the ACNP that I see as my primary provider seemed to find it. She didn't say anything specifically about my weight until it reached a certain point, but she did always ask about healthy behaviors, specifically exercise.

When I went from Class I to Class II obese, she started talking about my weight and was quite clear that I simply needed to cut calories. At that point it was also clear that my weight was impacting my health issues.

She's made more mention of my weight since I've lost it than she ever made while I was obese, but I'd have to say she's most proud of me developing the habit of consistent exercise, because she was on my case for years about that!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    In the uk due to massive patient lists a doctor wouldn't care if you left. ....you'd spend the rest of your life trying to find another one with spaces though

Same in Canada!

Yes my doctor did tell me that I needed to lose weight for my health. I already knew that I needed to lose weight so it didn't offend me. When I saw her last she told me I did a fabulous job of getting healthier. She is there to look after me and if I am healthy it leaves more time for patients that need her time more than I do.