How often do you weigh in?

Replies

• Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    I weigh myself daily- if I do it only once a week and don't lose I get too bummed out- rather see the fluctuations each day
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Almost never. I started MFP about 6 months ago and I've weighed myself maybe twice. I need to weigh myself more regularly though, maybe once a month or once every 2 weeks. I certainly wouldn't do it every day. When I get to my goal weight I will weigh myself every morning so I can adjust my food.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Every 2 to 3 days. I was weighing daily but was upset when there wasn't any loss, which is just stupid! If I lost every day I'd be making myself ill.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    I weight myself every single morning. I can't help it. Also, I can better monitor when I'm going a little overboard with treats because instead of fluctuating between the same 2lb range it always does, it creeps up to 4 and 5lbs over and that's when I know to chill out.
  • iotterbeinbed
    iotterbeinbed Posts: 76 Member
    I try to limit myself to once a week! But sometimes curiosity gets the better of me.
  • kengholson
    kengholson Posts: 4 Member
    Dropping 6 pounds a week weigh myself every other day or so. Love it. Have dropped 43 pounds in seven weeks. Thank God for bariatric scales without mine I was on a death sentence. Was 591.4 on July 27 today I'm 548. Not only do I weigh myself every other day but I take a pic of my scale reading at least every 7 to 10 days.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I moved my scale to the bathroom to remind myself to weigh. (I have a small bathroom with no good spot for it) but I've been weighing myself every morning since last Thursday using the happy scale app that I've heard so much about. From Thursday-yesterday my weight has just gone UP every day! Hahaha oh god what a horrible decision to weigh every day. But I just started my period so that explains that.
  • barbp7
    barbp7 Posts: 22 Member
    Every morning weigh and record. Keeps me motivated and is good feedback about my exercise and eating. When I quit weighing myself, the pounds creep up.
  • turntechBiologist
    turntechBiologist Posts: 374 Member
    I only do it once a week. I can't jump on the scale every morning if I weigh less one day and more the next it would be upsetting. So I just do it once a week and it works for me :smile:
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    I weigh in every morning. That way, when I notice I've put on a pound or two I can tighten things up and get back on track sooner. Otherwise, I have a tendency to be an "out of sight, out of mind" person and can easily get off track.
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    Official Weigh Ins are on Wednesday morning for me, although I do unofficial weigh ins both before and after any bike ride so I can adjust my water intake for the rest of the day to avoid dehydration. The rule of thumb is for every pound lost on a ride drink an additional .5 liters of water...
  • rifa232017
    rifa232017 Posts: 5 Member
    chriseles wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but I think I'm addicted to weighing myself, and that's not always a good look. I tend to weigh in each morning. Sometimes it's awesome, other times not so much! I'm trying to decide if I want to log my weight each day on here or just once a week. I doubt I'll be able to get out of the habit of my daily weigh in, but do I want to make it official? How often do you weigh in? What works best for you?

I weigh in like once a week, early in the morning. This helps me keep a check on whatever I ate that whole week and my work out routine. If I feel like the number hasn't stopped as much as I'd expected I try changing my pattern of work out and my food habits and wait for the next weigh in. Good luck! ✌
  • kitkat_42
    kitkat_42 Posts: 16 Member
    Keep in mind that daily weigh ins measure mainly water retention/ loss. I feel that the emotional toll that you get from weighing .11 lbs heavier one day than the last isn't worth it! Just measure once a week, twice if you really must! I would only advise those with CHF to measure every day. Otherwise it's a lost cause.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I moved my scale to the bathroom to remind myself to weigh. (I have a small bathroom with no good spot for it) but I've been weighing myself every morning since last Thursday using the happy scale app that I've heard so much about. From Thursday-yesterday my weight has just gone UP every day! Hahaha oh god what a horrible decision to weigh every day. But I just started my period so that explains that.

I can't leave my scale on the floor in my tiny bathroom. I lean it against the tub next to the toilet where it is easy to grab every morning. I just have to do a quick press on it to reset it before weighing.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I weigh every day. I think it's part of my weight loss effort. I am a creature of habit, and it's a habit which expresses my willful decision to do the things necessary to be healthy. I don't want to jack with that.
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Once a week- same day of the week and time of day. Same conditions (i.e. For me right before I step in shower)

Daily weighing didn't work for me because our body naturally fluctuates. I would feel discouraged when I did daily when I saw an increase. I like the comparison of week to week.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 869 Member
    I weigh myself first thing and last thing every day, recording the results on a calendar. I compare results to the prior day and to the same day the prior week. I like to have more data points. Like jrowden said above here, I can see trends quickly and get back on track sooner.
  • ronpasco
    ronpasco Posts: 4 Member
    I sweat during workouts- a lot. I weigh myself before and after each major workout to make sure I am drinking enough water during ( I wasn't). I ignore those numbers. On Monday-ish, I weigh and record. My weight varies by 2 or so lbs. per day, so it's kinda useless to worry about it more than once a week or 2.
  • mmblarg
    mmblarg Posts: 41 Member
    I weigh in every morning, which would be reaaaaal bad for my psyche if I didn't also log it. It's really easy to only see what happened that day - I've gained 2 pounds overnight before! But because I also log my weight every morning, I look at my reports and see the progress and healthy decline in each week, month, and three months (haven't been at this for longer than that.) My reports are filled with ups, downs, and plateaus, but there is a consistent trend of weight loss that always makes me feel beyond better the moment my brain fires off the "OH GOD NO" flares.

Weighing in every morning is addicting, no way I could break that habit - but I also think it helps you see trends the best and that's what I look forward to most now regardless of what the scale says.
  • menen28
    menen28 Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2017
    Once a week on Wednesday