if my family is not on board, then whats the point?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    My solution at home is that my DD and myself prep and cook together and make the meal. That way she's learning how to. And I also let her give input.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I have a partner and kids that have different tastes, I try to get them to eat what I, well we all should, but if there's no butter, cream, bacon or cheese its a no go...
    At the end of my day I just want to relax and unwind,
    How do we get family members involved, without it making them feeling obligated?

Eat less butter, eat less cream. eat less bacon or cheese. People have lost weight and maintained by doing this.

Make something for everyone and an extra side for you (veggies maybe). They can choose to eat what you've made, or they can make a peanut butter sandwich. You shouldn't have to be a short order cook.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    Love all the ideas coming in..... but when I work 8-10 hours a day.. and she is the one cooking dinner.... what do you do? I make request for certain foods.... and I get it about once a week maybe twice.

Eat less a smaller portion of what she makes, and supplement that with a side of veggies. Roasted veggies are simple, don't ask.......just do.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    From about age 10 I cooked for myself if I didn't want what my mum had cooked, and often cooked a meal for the family each week. Getting the kids involved might help them take ownership and pride in the food they're eating instead of being picky.
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    I have a partner and kids that have different tastes, I try to get them to eat what I, well we all should, but if there's no butter, cream, bacon or cheese its a no go...
    At the end of my day I just want to relax and unwind,
    How do we get family members involved, without it making them feeling obligated?

This is what I'm making for supper. The other two choices are take it or leave it.

If you choose to leave it you can find something on your own or enjoy breakfast

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    One of my favorite books growing up was "The All-of-a-Kind Family," about a large family living in a tenement house in New York City. One of the stories in it was about their rule for meals: No soup, no meat. No meat, no vegetables. No vegetables, no fruit. No fruit, no penny. One day, Sarah decides she doesn't want the soup and refuses to eat it. Well, when the rest of the family gets the other courses, Sarah's soup is left in front of her, uneaten, all the way to the end of the meal. She toughs it out until the next mealtime... when the soup is taken out of the icebox and put in front of her AGAIN. Horror of horrors!

Eventually, Sarah caves and eats at least a little of the despised soup and all ends happily. (It probably helps that the rest of the family sides with Mama and tells Sarah to eat her soup!) Don't know how that would fly in other families, but somehow the story has stuck with me.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Sorry you are all right and make so much sense... Thankyou all for supporting me..

I guess I'm just so wrapped up in what I should be eating, I just want everyone else to do the same... Its my weight not theirs..

I will try combining meals.. Fingers crossed

I think it's one thing if you are making three meals for actual medical reasons or one person is a baby. Or keeps Kosher or something.

A healthy man should be able to participate more in cooking or man up and deal with not having a special accommodation.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Love all the ideas coming in..... but when I work 8-10 hours a day.. and she is the one cooking dinner.... what do you do? I make request for certain foods.... and I get it about once a week maybe twice.

Then eat less or not at all at work.

So what do you think is fair?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Rotate meal planning/cooking duties between yourself, SO, and the older kids? Have a family meeting to discuss your concerns and come up with a plan that hopefully they are willing to try. Even fixing 2 meals every night seems excessive. You are not a restaurant.
  • kristie8351
    kristie8351 Posts: 28 Member
    I wasn't trying to be negative about my initial statement. I just wanted to vent, and to see if anyone else had these issues themselves, and I wanted to receive ideas about how to work it... Thanks for all your help there is some really great ideas here
  • kristie8351
    Time for some tough love. If you're cooking the meals they eat what you make. If they complain let them make their own.

Next issue. Not everyone you care about our love is going to go on this journey with you and be supportive. You have to do this for yourself. You can't do this for somebody else. It has to be all about you. Even though it sounds selfish it's the only way you'll succeed.

Most importantly you have to realize you're worth it and you deserve it. God bless and good luck in your journey

• kristie8351
    I love that you all are so passionate about this just as much as me.
    I'm not hating my family or pissed off coz I cook for them, we all are that close, I guess I expect them without asking, for them to get on board...
  • maryhconrad
    maryhconrad Posts: 1 Member
    I cook a low calorie dinner and add bread or a tub of mac-n-cheese/mashed potatoes/starchy dish for the rest.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    You cook ONE meal and they have two options; take it or leave it. That's it.

That's how I grew up.

My mother, a nurse, cooked decent reasonably nutritious dinner meals ... usually along the lines of a piece of meat, a couple servings of veg, and a serving of starch.

And we had the choice of eating it ... or not.

Growing up, my whole family was slender and fit. We certainly didn't suffer with that approach.