Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving Up Coffee?

Options

Replies

• threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have always drank my coffee black. Why would anyone drink it any other way?

This^^^^
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I guess some people drink it for the caffeine hit/energy rather than the taste.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Or they, y'know... like the taste of black coffee...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Or they, y'know... like the taste of black coffee...

yeah, that too
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to black. That doesn't mean that I'll never have cream in my coffee again, but I have learned to enjoy it black. It's freeing. And there's NO way I'm "giving it up".
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I used to be a 1/2 creamer and 1/2 coffee, but when I became serious about calorie counting and losing weight I gave it up for straight black. The only time I add creamer is when I drink Starbucks which is rare since I'm not a fan of their coffee.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Soy Milk Lite Vanilla as my creamer. Slightly sweet, mixes well, tastes good (to me) and lower calories than milk or many other options.
  • headofdesign
    headofdesign Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's just going to take some time I guess to rehabilitate my taste buds! Is there a question forum that I should have used versus the debate forum?
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I tried mine with a spoonful of cocoa powder in it for a while... didn't really like it, but it was better than black. Now I usually have it with a sploosh of milk and a teaspoon of sugar (I don't like artificial sweeteners either) and figure the calories into my daily tally.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    How are you making your coffee? With a French press or machine?

I see this as a taste bud evolution. Most start out with loads of sugar/cream/flavoring and then learn to love the taste of the actual coffee.

I do either black or one shot of cream/milk - 40 kcals.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's just going to take some time I guess to rehabilitate my taste buds! Is there a question forum that I should have used versus the debate forum?

Probably ask in the general forum. Or maybe in the food & Nutrition.

Buy better coffee. Makes it much more enjoyable when drinking it black. I learned a long time ago to drink it black as there was never any cream or sugar in the office. I don't bother to log it either.

Oh. And I sometimes do add "creamer" on the weekends if I'm camping or not going to drive. But I have to count the calories then.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

No, but general questions seeking information and/or advice usually can be found in the "Food and Nutrition" forum. No problem. How one takes their coffee can easily get into a debate ;)

• dfoarde9917
    dfoarde9917 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Learn to love Black coffee, it’s so good and you can drink as much as you like! If you buy decent coffee and give it a chance you will acquire a taste - coffee with cream and sugar seems like you might as well just go get a milkshake to me now ;) just My humble opinion, other ppl here got ya covered with more moderate solutions. cheers!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

No, but general questions seeking information and/or advice usually can be found in the "Food and Nutrition" forum. No problem. How one takes their coffee can easily get into a debate ;)

^^This. Yeah, I was the first one to post...and the title is 'Giving up Coffee' - which to me sounded like a big fat "No!" But I just commented the way I did because coffee is serious bidness, and it was in the Debate forum. It doesn't matter where you post it. :) Didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable! :flowerforyou:
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    This thread title gave me PTSD
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like to drink high quality coffee black when it is brewed rather weak. When is strong it is just too much for me. I add 2T heavy cream and make it part of a filling brekkie. Usually black though.
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I never really got into coffee. The smell is wonderful, but the taste never satisfied me (Diet Coke, on the other hand, I love). I would share it, black, with my coffee-loving wife in the morning. However, a little over a year ago, I gave up all caffeine (except when needed or it was the only thing available). It was truly one of the best decisions I have ever made. My mood is better, I'm less anxious and I sleep better. I know it sounds crazy, I would have said it was crazy, but I have found it to be wonderful.

[Oh and I still bring my wife a cup of coffee in the mornings.]
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good coffee is good coffee. Drink it black like the rest of us coffee lovers. 3 cups a day.
  • strawberryswirl01
    Options
    Giving up coffee is one of the best things I've done. I swapped it for tea. I didnt realise actually how bad coffee made me feel until I stopped. Now if I have coffee I feel physically ill.
  • amakenm
    amakenm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Should be titled "Giving up cream & sugar". ;) Coffee with MCTs, but I like coffee by itself, or wouldn't drink it.