6 pack abs

Hi everyone, new to all of this. Have always disliked my tummy, just turned 50 and would really like to develop a 6 pack, is this achievable. On a mission for this

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    edited September 2017
  • teresa_50
    teresa_50 Posts: 6 Member
    Thankyou so much for link. Will definitely be taking the advice
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Not really much to add to what @usmcmp wrote. Patience is what I would suggest. And, well, maybe I do have something to add....

Abdominal Exercises are obviously important. However, there is likely a "better" way to do them. Sure, doing them is great. And important. But lets do them in an optimal way. So, I might suggest that you consider doing them in the following order:

1. Lower Abs
    2. Bottom Up Rotation
    3. Obliques
    4. Mid-Range
    5. Top Down
    6. Top Down Rotation

You can do a really great ab workout in under 10 minutes.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    teresa_50 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, new to all of this. Have always disliked my tummy, just turned 50 and would really like to develop a 6 pack, is this achievable. On a mission for this

Done it, but my focus went into powerlifting so visible abs are the least of my concerns now.

Here is a pic at 215lbs at age 46 when I was very lean. A few huge scars on my lower abdomen where I had surgeries, otherwise I would of had more definition lower.

It's certainly achievable with lower bf%.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    teresa_50 wrote: »

Maybe yes, maybe no...with women in particular, genetics play a big role. I know quite a few fitness ladies and all of them have very nice, flat stomachs...only a couple of them have actual, visible 6 pack abs.

One of them is a physique competitor and she doesn't walk around like that all of the time as it's very lean and most women would be approaching essential body fat levels. I know another physique competitor and even when she's stage ready, she doesn't really have visible abs unless the lighting is perfect and then you can kind of see a bit of an outline...still a rockin' body though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    3i4b6aqkyw4z.jpg

Just turned 49 last week. I have some visible abs here, this was taken 3 weeks ago. To get a prominent 6 pack, I need to build more volume and of course lean out further. Currently bulking we will see if I make improvements. Lifting 2 1/2 years.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    Not really much to add to what @usmcmp wrote. Patience is what I would suggest. And, well, maybe I do have something to add....

Abdominal Exercises are obviously important. However, there is likely a "better" way to do them. Sure, doing them is great. And important. But lets do them in an optimal way. So, I might suggest that you consider doing them in the following order:

1. Lower Abs
    2. Bottom Up Rotation
    3. Obliques
    4. Mid-Range
    5. Top Down
    6. Top Down Rotation

You can do a really great ab workout in under 10 minutes.

I think your compound lifts are what will make a difference in abs.. plus diet obviously. All these people spending hours trying to isolate abs but skip squats and all other compounds kill me. that plus a couple ab isolations per week is plenty.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cost-of-getting-lean

This article is always good food for thought! Getting visible abs may involve way more than you want to do. Maybe not, but I always go back to reading this when I feel like I should be able to "do it all."