Double overhand grip gave away during deadlifting

I'm doing stronglifts 5x5 and today was 1x5 deadlift day 200lbs. So during the 5th rep the grip gave out and the bar fell, probably due to sweat but I don't remember. I don't want to use mixed grip or straps just yet, I want to strengthen my grip.
I'll see if my gym allows chalk or liquid chalk. I'll also definitely make sure I wipe my hands with a towel, I also reset my grip and stance after every rep. Hook grip is also an option. What do you guys suggest?

Replies

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Personally I just use wraps instead of making my deadlift training crap. When I want to work on grip I do grip exercises.

Grip exercises like?
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Usually farmer's walks or just holding a barbell with tons of weight loaded.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    I do as many as I can with "normal" grip, then just switch to mixed grip for the rest of the reps. I try and go one more every time but it doesn't happen for me beyond a certain weight.

So I don't go wonky, I alternate my mixed grip on each rep. My trainer thinks I'm a bit mad to do that, but I prefer it to doing e.g. one set mixed one way and the next set mixed the other way.

I have short fingers so would rather avoid wraps as they'll just take up more space in my grip!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited September 2017
    Grip strength is my weakness when it comes to Dead Lifts. I will not do the mixed grip. Just my preference. I also really do not want to use any "wraps". Again, just my preference.

So, there are several things that you can do to increase your grip strength. That is what my plan is. That is the root cause.....

You can do Farmer's Walk. You can hold three plates together (think two 10s on the outside with a 2.5 in the inside....don't let that 2.5 fall) and build your way up. You can do rack pulls. You can continue to do Dead Lifts and just work it out that way. You can do pull ups using a towel (or similar). You can put a "wrap" on the bar where your hands go so that the "bar" you are griping is "thicker".

Remember that there are three different grip strengths!

Are you squeezing the bejesus out of the bar when you do Dead Lifts?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Hook grip is indeed an option but you will destroy your thumbs in the beginning. Like, for real for real destroy. I tried when I was doing 225lbs and no thank you. At my current DL weight I am sure that my thumbs would fall off (or, that I would wish that they would). Just consider that. And, who knows - everyone is different so the hook grip might just work for you. Not holding my breath on that update, though! :smile:
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    thanks for the suggestions. im thinking that since this was the 1st time my grip failed, i can probably put my mind to it and do 20 lbs more without a grip issue at my current grip strength.

i like the alternate mixed grip idea as well, as long as I dont start favouring one hand over the other eventually. Hook grip is worth 1 shot lol.

plus farmers walks, rack pulls and other grip exercises.

Are you squeezing the bejesus out of the bar when you do Dead Lifts?
    thats definitely how i start, but thats not how it ends haha
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    @misnomer1 Amen, brotha! I squeeze the *kitten* out of the bar (and - for the record - I put the *kitten* in there......just a little humor and pre-emptive strike there) and try to bend the bar like a pretzel around my shins | thighs. It works - usually - the first three sets of my 5 x 5. On the 4th set, the last rep might be an issue. By the 5th set....grip is a problem after the second rep. Usually. That is where "mind over matter" helps.

Well, that and the three plate trick. That really helps. :smile: For me, anyway.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I'm with those that recommend training your grip separately if it's an issue.

I do a LOT of volume on my pull days and there are days where I resort to straps to ensure that I'm actually working the muscles I'm specifically targeting and not sabotaging my workout because of grip. What I have found is that if I resort to straps only when I need to - that my grip strength eventually catches up.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Chalk ftw. Sweaty hands will lubricate your grip on the bar. Try that chalk bro...it makes a huge difference.

Also, i dont understand the mixed-grip-hate. Its legal, and still requires grip strength for heavy pulls.

Straps also have their place on volume days/sets... Are you worried about what "they" will think if they see you with straps? Lol screw them, you want da gainz or not?

Your grip will get stronger as you get stronger. Training it separately helps as well. Refusing to progress on your lifts until your grip comes up to speed is just wasting time imo.
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    Either wraps or hook grip.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Another thing to do/try is simply to hold the barbell for as long as you can at the top of the last rep of your last set.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Chalk ftw. Sweaty hands will lubricate your grip on the bar. Try that chalk bro...it makes a huge difference.

Also, i dont understand the mixed-grip-hate. Its legal, and still requires grip strength for heavy pulls.

Straps also have their place on volume days/sets... Are you worried about what "they" will think if they see you with straps? Lol screw them, you want da gainz or not?

Your grip will get stronger as you get stronger. Training it separately helps as well. Refusing to progress on your lifts until your grip comes up to speed is just wasting time imo.

This guy explains why it can be a potential injury issue and why it's use should be limited.

https://drjohnrusin.com/stop-deadlifting-with-a-mixed-grip/
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

This guy explains why it can be a potential injury issue and why it's use should be limited.

https://drjohnrusin.com/stop-deadlifting-with-a-mixed-grip/

In addition to this, it also doesn't really help to build grip strength.
    I've never met a weight I could deadlift that I couldn't hold on to grip with mixed, but as a result of always using it my double overhand is pathetic.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    I do dead hangs off a pull up bar.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Good standard is.

Use chalk.
    Use double overhand until you can't.
    Use/practice hook if can, then mix.
    Use wrist straps on high volume days.
    Hold the barbell last set for 10-20 seconds.

Grip work isn't something you need to work on in general as touted. It's of more focus going into a PL meet. I'm not a big fan of farmer's walks as a powerlifter as there are more efficient ways to work on grip strength. It is definitely some thing I can see useful for strongman.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    I did the 3 plate farmer carries today, since my workout called for farmer carries anyways, and hooooly crap do they suck. My hands hurt like a mother right now. Must be good.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Hook grip helps me keep the bar in hand but does destroy my thumbs! Chalk if hands are slipping. Mixed grip has issues with possible bicep tears and imbalances.
  • gareths1980
    gareths1980 Posts: 32 Member
    Personally I do double overhand until my grip is failing, then use liquid chalk (doesn't make much mess) then use straps for my heaviest reps.

I used to train with mixed grip but decided against after watching many DL training videos on YouTube. My DL weight had to be reduced to handle the double overhand, now I can't do mixed grip as it just feels totally uncomfortable.
  • BigNorthernBear
    BigNorthernBear Posts: 21 Member
    IMO Switch grip for the win on heavy lifts but different strokes for different folks. The day I switched to switch grip I added 40lbs to my PR.