Foods to Help Reach 2800 Calories Per Day

Options
Hi,

I'm working towards maintaining my weight and need to consume 2800 Calories a day. What foods should I focus on consuming? It seems so hard to get this amount of calories in per day.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods, Eat food you like. Eat more food. Eat more meals.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Add oils, butter, cream or mayo to your cooking, salads etc. Snack on nuts and ice cream. Don't use 'diet' or 'low fat' anything. Drink more calories, like protein shakes and smoothies with yoghurt. And generally everything that @kommodevaran said.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Focus on variety, nutrition and pleasure.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    PB, nuts, avocado, olive oil, butter. Shouldn't be too hard lol!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    What were you eating before? Increase serving sizes of things you already eat.
    Fats are higher cal and easy to add - peanut butter, cheese, eggs, etc. can add up pretty quickly.
    Things like rice and oatmeal are good for carbs.
  • DManBB
    DManBB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What were you eating before? Increase serving sizes of things you already eat.
    Fats are higher cal and easy to add - peanut butter, cheese, eggs, etc. can add up pretty quickly.
    Things like rice and oatmeal are good for carbs.

Rice (white or brown, doesn't matter), oatmeal, beans are great carbs intakes while fish, eggs, chicken, peanut butter, nuts, and shakes are great protein intakes. I am eating around 2,800 calories a day right now and it started off to be very difficult to eat that much (healthy food), but you will get used to it. My advice would be to gradually reach 2,800, do not just jump right to it. 2,100.... 2,400.... 2,600.. you get the point! Good luck!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your protein and fat goals and taking in a reasonable quantity of nutrient dense foods (lean meats, veggies, fruit etc) you can make up those extra calories any way you wish. There is nothing wrong with adding in a serving of ice cream or a donut or some potato chips if you can eat those in moderation.

Alternatively, hit the nuts, nut butters, avocado, butter and other full fat dairy if you wish to stick only to so-called 'clean' foods.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    The sky is the limit. 2800 is a ton of calories. Most of the board would kill to be in your position!

I don't know if you partake, but note that alcohol counts within that total. Have a few drinks.

Also, pizza. All of the pizza.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, several suggestions....most of which have already been added:

1. If you have a meal plan, maybe increase the portions? So, depending on how things fit in with (A) calories and (B) macros, maybe have 1.5x something....so, instead of 1/4 cup rice have 1/3 cup of rice? You get the idea!
    2. If you have a meal plan, maybe replace one thing with something else? Again, depending on (A) calories and (B) macros, maybe you could - and this is just thinking outloud - replace Brown Rice with a Sweet Potato?
    3. Add an additional meal? Be it a 'snack' or a 'meal' depends on your needs. So, maybe you add two 1/4 cup of Sunflower Seeds inbetween 'meals'. That would give you an additional 400 Calories (and 16g Protein, 12g of Carbs and 34g of Fats, roughly) each day. For example.
    4. Add "dressing" - whatever that might be - to existing items in your nutrition?
    5. Go to Starbucks and have the Venti Mocha Frappi! :smiley:

You do not tell us where you are currently. So, are you needing to move up from, say, 2,100 Calories a day to 2,800 Calories a day? Or, do you need to increase slightly?

All of the suggestions here are pretty good.

I am one, for example, that can eat the same 10 foods for a year - or more. Not everyone can do that. So, if you are like I am, then this might be a little more interesting (depending on how far away from your 2,800 Calories you are). If you can eat anything and everything, then it might be a little bit easier.

Just keep in mind that - for most people, anyway - it takes awhile for the body to learn to digest food that is being introduced. You might - if you are adding new foods - experience a little "bloating". That will go away with time (read: as your digestion gets smarter) so stay the course......

Well, assuming that you are not feeling bloated because of an added food to which you are allergic!