Am i supposed to eat this raw? Mustard Greens

AlexDalton1998
AlexDalton1998 Posts: 19 Member
edited September 2017 in Recipes
A customer today babe me a grocery bag full of mustard greens. It has a really bitter flavor so I'm guessing it's not a salad green or is to be mixed sparingly with other greens.

Or is it supposed to be cooked? It's got tons of vitamins and potassium and cooking would leach them or right?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Traditionally it is cooked, like kale, turnip greens, collards, etc.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    I LOVE mustard greens! Look up recipes with 5 stars.. my sister in law cooks them to perfection!
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    I only like the kind i get in Louisiana where they cook them with porkfat. Ive tried steaming and sautéing in olive oil and i just dont like them those ways
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I've used them in soup. White beans, ckn stock, onion, garlic and red pepper flakes.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I love bitter greens and usually shred them with sweet things like beets and feta. Another way to eat them is in a frittata or omlette.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Great in a frittata with ham and mushrooms.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    we use them in soup or pickle them. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    You can eat them raw, but yeah they are a bitter green and most people would mix with other milder greens. But you can use them as a replacement for other bitter greens like arugula or kale in just about any recipe. They are wonderful mixed into tomato based pasta sauces, soups (look up Portuguese Green Soup!), omelets, casseroles, etc.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    One of my favorite childhood foods was mustard greens boiled down with bacon grease.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    I prefer collards to mustard greens, but I would definitely cook them. My mom always boiled them with a little salt pork and served them with corn bread.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    I boil them with onion, celery, garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes, and a little marjoram. You can then season them with some hot sauce, or cider vinegar.
  • robertgspeed1606
    robertgspeed1606 Posts: 270 Member
    I use them in my morning green smoothie. The banana and apple balance out the bitterness.