Anyone Have A Blog?

Options
I started an MFP blog when I joined MFP and decided to update it with a weekly post on my journey with EM2WL. If anyone would like to look at it, it's here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cinblog1965/view/meal-planning-938758

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I'm checking it out!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL Certified Personal Trainer and Coach
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    I loved your blog idea! Thank you so much for sharing. And you are definitely on the right track with baby steps! Stay consistent, you are going to crush this! Yes for lifting and staying away from 1200 calories. 1200 calories are for toddlers, not grown-ups! Yes for bacon! Yes for taking it slow! It's all about taking your life back!
    I love skinny taste pumpkin spiced cupcakes!
    I'm glad you are joining the Bootcamp and I'd love to share your blog and achievements with the EM2WL fam, if that's ok with you.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL Certified Personal Trainer and Coach
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes that's okay To share. I love the input and comraderie I get from everyone here. And although I'm just starting, if it gives anyone else ideas or inspiration, that's great! I'm going to have to try the cupcakes, I haven't tried any of her deserts yet.
  • cinblog1965
    Options
    I have a new blog post regarding the Surge workout.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cinblog1965/view/surging-ahead-939462
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your update! I'm truly enjoying reading your blog!
    One thing that is always good to keep in mind is how endurance phases cause you to hold water (more than other lifting phases). Usually it goes away the weeks in the next phase.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/water-weight-gain/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL Certified Trainer and Coach
  • cinblog1965
    Options
    @TerezaToledo Thank you!

Tereza I had no idea this phase would cause bloating more than other phases. I would have thought Strength does. That's a relief!

Truthfully I do eat too much, I'm usually eating 2100 calories lately and for a 15% cut I should be eating just shy of 1800. And I'm not one of those that has issues packing in food. I have always been a big consumer. It used to amaze my husband that I would eat so much more than him and not gain weight. Of course I was going on vlc diets every time 5 pounds snuck on . . . lol.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @TerezaToledo Thank you!

Tereza I had no idea this phase would cause bloating more than other phases. I would have thought Strength does. That's a relief!

Truthfully I do eat too much, I'm usually eating 2100 calories lately and for a 15% cut I should be eating just shy of 1800. And I'm not one of those that has issues packing in food. I have always been a big consumer. It used to amaze my husband that I would eat so much more than him and not gain weight. Of course I was going on vlc diets every time 5 pounds snuck on . . . lol.
    @TerezaToledo Thank you!

Totally meant to mention on this when I first saw it.
    Bloating is usually referencing some effect of eating on the stomach, it's a localized gas or water retention issue.

What was being discussed there in strength training is inflammation, you caused some damage, body's response is water retained in areas for healing.
    Good water.

Also, more carbs stored for the anaerobic effort in the muscles being used, which store with water. Longer efforts need more carbs.
    That's not really even retained water, anymore than increased blood volume with more water because you are sweating more is retained.
    It's part of the improvement from the workout.

But all that kind of water added (compared to say eating a high sodium meal over average eating levels) takes energy to manage - so is increases your base metabolism.
  • cinblog1965
    Options
    @heybales thanks for the info! I'm learning a lot here. I just started the EM2WL workshop and decided to do a matabolism reset so I'm trying to increase my calories which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for those pesky macros . . . lol. That is taking some work and some planning. I do love my carbs and fats ;-) I'm going to keep this workout going though, I'm on my last week with this endurance plan, then start the circuit plan (Evolve) for 6-8 weeks. I love changing it up! Not sure if I should add in any cardio or HIIT while doing Evolve while I'm doing the circuit workout. It calls for adding a couple sessions and doing the Evolve plan 3x a week.
  • heybales
    Options
    Regarding adding cardio or HIIT cardio.

For what purpose?

Is it for the heart health and cardiovascular improvements? - then by all means good to add something.
    Obviously have to increase calories more for it.

Is it for some other perceived benefit?
  • cinblog1965
    Options
    I don't really know why it's listed on the program. I would guess it's for heart health. Or to help with boosting matabolism, because this particular workout is only 3 days a week.
  • heybales
    Options
    If HIIT is done correctly (and it rarely is, especially now that the name has been faddishly taken over) it causes an overload on the muscles as close as you can get to lifting with a cardio workout.

That requires repair just like lifting, not as much or as long though - but enough it can ruin the recovery for those muscles needing it already.
    And it can tire out muscles used the next day in a lifting workout - making that effort not as beneficial.
    So must be used carefully and observed for negative effects.
    But for it's repair metabolism will increase during that time. But many are sore and don't move as much - so it just killed your overall TDEE - so a negative result as far as calorie burn is concerned.
    Then again - workouts shouldn't be about calorie burn anyway, but body improvements.

Now poorly done HIIT (which isn't really HIIT then but intervals of some sort) would be for heart health.

Like the Tabata protocal interval method improves cardiovascular figures despite the short time being done.
  • cinblog1965
    Options
    I'm probably more intervals at my age. Used to be HIIT. My asthma has gotten to the point where I can't do HITT correctly, can't push myself that hard because I can't breath. 1 reason I like doing the cardio intervals is that it helps with asthma by making my lungs work hard, and it's just good for me mentally. But I'm not going to do more than 20 minutes or so. That's all it takes to remind me I'm not 30 anymore lol.
  • heybales
    Options
    The short interval nature is also good many times because it'll still cause some overload on aerobic system requiring improvement - but not so long as to be limited by the asthma. Hopefully.
  • heybales
    edited October 2017
    Options
    There was actually a benefit to your every weekend eating more.
    Now, at maintenance would be good - blowing right past it and negating most of the deficit all week long, heh, not so much.
    More research showing what the timing can be for max improvement, though it's been known for years to be useful in some regard.
    I have study comments from around '87 saying every 5-10 lbs lost take 1-3 weeks at maintenance.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I just started one if anyone's interested in looking.