Recomp

Hey everybody! How long does recomp typically take? I have been going to the gym for around 7 weeks now, and I eat anywhere between 1500-2000 calories a day (1700 being maintain) I know big gap, i eat when I'm hungry, I don't like restricting, or I binge eat. Anyways, when I started I weighed 124.6, and I weighed myself this morning and am at 123.2! Just wondering if the timeframe is right for recomp, it seems like I'm on the right track!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Honestly, it can take anywhere from months to years (typically). It will also depend on your goals and what kind of results you are looking for. Even if you are bulking/cutting it can take someone many years to reach a level of satisfaction.

Sounds like you are doing well though.. keep it up!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    How long does recomp typically take?
    Impossible question to answer apart from a very vague "a number of months" - because building muscle is slow.

Everyone's rate of progress is different depending on their circumstances and their training.
    And that's without factoring that end goals are different.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hey everybody! How long does recomp typically take? I have been going to the gym for around 7 weeks now, and I eat anywhere between 1500-2000 calories a day (1700 being maintain) I know big gap, i eat when I'm hungry, I don't like restricting, or I binge eat. Anyways, when I started I weighed 124.6, and I weighed myself this morning and am at 123.2! Just wondering if the timeframe is right for recomp, it seems like I'm on the right track!

Try 7 months as a starting point not 7 weeks
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member

Party pooper
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member

Nobody ever really finishes recomp, do they? :wink:

There is negligible difference between 124.6 & 123.2 lbs. That sounds like a normal weight fluctuation to me. You should start to see some noticeable small changes in your physique within 3-6 months.
  • momoisgorgeousss
    momoisgorgeousss Posts: 40 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »

Nobody ever really finishes recomp, do they? :wink:

There is negligible difference between 124.6 & 123.2 lbs. That sounds like a normal weight fluctuation to me. You should start to see some noticeable small changes in your physique within 3-6 months.

See that's what I was thinking, but I weighed a constant 124. Whatever since I started, so going down a pound and a half is pretty cool to me and I'm happy about it ;-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Depends on a ton of factors, your patience, and your consistency. I have seen basic recomps occur with noobs who are fairly lean and haven't weight trained before over a 6 month period, but I have also see those who are more advanced take up to 2 years.