Sauces or Gravy

Kbullock6123
Kbullock6123 Posts: 2 Member
Does anyone have any low calorie recipes for a sauce or gravy I could make easily to have with meat & veg. I'm a single mum to a 2 year old and also work so some nights have to have something simple like a piece of meat and some veggies. But I always end up wasting lots of calories on instant gravy or cheese sauce. It preferably needs to be something I can make quickly or make at the weekend and freeze in batches. I have a slow cooker to use if needed. Thanks

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I use instant powdered gravy and find it very low calorie - have you done a good comparison at the store? I tend to use the Gravox brand, they have lots of varieties...
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    My Mom and now I always cooked the meat then removed from the pan. Remove the excess fat and leave any drippings and cooked bits on the pan. Add onion and/or mushrooms and saute until softened. Add broth and flour or cornstarch and simmer until thick. Add the flour or cornstarch to broth and whisk before adding to pan to prevent lumps. I always have to look up the ratio of flour to liquid. It varies on how much liquid. I hope this helps some.
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Honestly if you just got to your store and find Heinz ready made gravy in jars theyre only about 20 cals for a quartercup Serving and theres all different flavors

• Yoyoghurt
    Yoyoghurt Posts: 52 Member
    I use the powdered Gravox too. Mine is the reduced salt traditional gravy variety. Mixed with water it is 113 kj or 27 cal per serve.
    I heat it up in the microwave (covered but not sealed to prevent a mess) and put it on takeaway BBQ chicken with the skin removed, and have it with veg I can microwave (e.g. carrot, broccoli).
    Using the pan drippings described above by @dklibert above is the real traditional method. You could try freezing any leftover gravy.
    But if you don't have time or you didn't cook the meat in the oven the Gravox is fine.
  • Kbullock6123
    Kbullock6123 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks all. I have never heard of Gravox (Im in the UK so maybe they dont sell it here). I will definitely check for the Heinz ready made gravy or check for some different powders which are lower calories. I like gravy to be thick so I guess I use more granuals than most making it more calories. Will have to try it with less granuals and more water
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    A serving of bisto is only around 40 kcal.