I love sweet potatoes!!

Options
I'm trying to incorporate more sweet potato recipes into my family's life style. Any good recipes that the whole fam can enjoy that won't kill my healthy eating?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I most commonly cook them as I would potatoes: chop up, put them in a bowl and add a little olive oil, mix around, put on a pan and add some salt, roast at 350-450 (depending on what else I'm cooking, 400 is probably most common) until they are finished. Great side dish, just like roasted potatoes are.

I also really like them in stews with black beans that are somewhat spicy.

I did a great sweet potato salad and beet salad for a get-together that turned out well. Lots of kale too -- inspired by http://www.foodmatters.com/recipe/roasted-beet-sweet-potato-kale-salad, but I didn't use quinoa and subbed walnuts for the pecans, didn't bother with wasabi, and cut back on the olive oil. I probably did other things too, I mostly just get ideas from recipes that I work out on my own.

I've added them to a plainer dinner salad too.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I second roasting them! I like making a big batch on the weekend, then I can bring them in lunches all week or add them into whatever I feel like. They're crispy right out of the oven, and nice and soft over time after re-heating. I usually do them at 425 degrees on a sheet pan with just some olive oil, salt, and pepper on them. Super tasty!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    http://savingdinner.com/cinnamon-vanilla-sweet-potato-fries/

My husband makes these for us at least weekly. They are baked and SO delicious!

It does add cals, but I especially love them with a tiny bit of mayo mixed with Sriracha and/or ketchup.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    These little things, all day every day forever and ever amen. I love them so much!

I also like this chili and this side dish a lot.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Next time you fire up the grill, lightly coat sweet potatoes with olive oil and put them on the grill, if you have a shelf, put them there, otherwise, not directly over fire. OMG, you will not have to put anything else on them.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Chop them into bite sized pieces, mix with olive oil, salt, pepper, apple butter and fresh parsley then roast until really tender. Not the lowest calorie way but sooooo good.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I grate them and make sweet potato hash browns.
  • Goingagain
    Goingagain Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato & red lentil curry. I add chicken too but optional. So filling you don't need rice
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to incorporate more sweet potato recipes into my family's life style. Any good recipes that the whole fam can enjoy that won't kill my healthy eating?

Make them as you prefer, then hand the butter and honey over to the rest of the family. ;P
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    the southwest stuffed sweet potatoe sounds especially YUMMY!!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    i make sweet potato mac and cheese - you basically make mashed sweet potatos, mix them into a roux (flour water), melt cheese and then mix pasta in and cook

A roux is made from starch (flour), fat (butter), and water, not just flour and water.

ETA: my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is to roast (bake) them, then mash the flesh with a little butter and/or olive oil, and season with lime juice and ground chipotle (you can substitute cayenne and/or smoked paprika if you can't find ground chipotle, or prefer less smokiness or less heat).
  • lyhenry
    lyhenry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to make yam pizzas. Microwave the yam until almost done, split in half, cover with a pasta sauce and some shredded cheese, maybe some leftover protein, and another minute in the microwave to melt the cheese. Yummy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I most commonly cook them as I would potatoes: chop up, put them in a bowl and add a little olive oil, mix around, put on a pan and add some salt, roast at 350-450 (depending on what else I'm cooking, 400 is probably most common) until they are finished. Great side dish, just like roasted potatoes are.

I also really like them in stews with black beans that are somewhat spicy.

I did a great sweet potato salad and beet salad for a get-together that turned out well. Lots of kale too -- inspired by http://www.foodmatters.com/recipe/roasted-beet-sweet-potato-kale-salad, but I didn't use quinoa and subbed walnuts for the pecans, didn't bother with wasabi, and cut back on the olive oil. I probably did other things too, I mostly just get ideas from recipes that I work out on my own.

I've added them to a plainer dinner salad too.

I roast them like above only I add a little chipotle powder to kick it up a notch.
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Smoked paprika works great on sweet potatoes too. I'm getting some good tips from this thread!
  • potatoyeti
    potatoyeti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A baked sweet potato with a bit of maple syrup is all that you need to make a meal that much better.