Where can I find the food database?

Options
Please help. I cannot find the food database. I use to be able to, but that was a long time ago.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You just go to "add" in your food diary and then search and your search will pull up various items that match from the database.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Or go to your "Food" tab. Your options at the top of that tab are: Food Diary, Database, My Foods, My Meals, Recipes, Settings.

If you just want to look up a food, go directly to the database. Unfortunately, you cannot add directly from it so if you want to add a food to your diary from the database, you do what @cwolfman13 said.
  • cswarner3
    cswarner3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do I have to go to the actual website or should I be able to do this from the premium app on my iphone?
  • cswarner3
    cswarner3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understood I was told I couldn't add the food to my database without going to the food diary. I don't see how to save from their huge database to mine food list. Arrrrrrrrrrrrg! Might you be able to send me a screenprint or two? I am using Premium, if that matters.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My Foods only has the foods that you entered yourself and/or you were the last one who edited the nutritional information. It would be nice to be able to add things to My Foods from the database but MFP is not set up that way.

Recent and Frequent should keep the things that you've just used or use a lot.

If you want to use My Foods as your main source of choosing foods, you could do what I did: enter everything I use into My Foods > Create Food (I use the website to do this) without sharing with the database. That lets me customize the name and I don't need to be concerned that someone else will change the nutritional info.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I am assuming the iPhone app works similar to my Android (may be a silly assumption), but if you are trying to add a food from the database you should have a bar to type in the food and then a "search" button of some sort (on the Android is looks like a magnifying glass) or a link that says "search all foods for XXX"

I think that's what you are looking for - I don't know of any way to pull up the entire database on a phone app.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    cswarner3 wrote: »
    I understood I was told I couldn't add the food to my database without going to the food diary. I don't see how to save from their huge database to mine food list. Arrrrrrrrrrrrg! Might you be able to send me a screenprint or two? I am using Premium, if that matters.

Are you trying to just move foods from the database to somewhere without adding them to your diary? That's not a thing.

If you want to save foods for later the closest thing you can do is save them to a date in the future and then move or delete them later.