Cardio (Running) while gaining

Options
Currently gaining weight. I need to gain around 10 kgs.
I also play football and my trainer has advised me to stop playing coz it involves running which obviously leads to burning calories.
How often should I run and should I stop playing coz I love the sport.
And by football I mean European Football.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    saurabh26 wrote: »
    I also play football and my trainer has advised me to stop playing coz it involves running which obviously leads to burning calories.

If you want to gain weight, you have to be in a calorie surplus...a lot of running means you need to eat that much more to still gain weight.

There is no "correct" answer to your question...you could run less and eat less to maintain a surplus or you could run more and eat more to maintain a surplus.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Run as much as you like, but you'll need to eat enough calories to keep up with it if you want to gain weight.

How much is enough? Try using this tool to get your TDEE based on your activity level and set it to gain half a pound a week (+250 calories a day NET). Then, log all your running. Ideally you'd have a heart rate monitor which could measure it. So, you should be eating:

Your TDEE + What you burned running + 250 calories.

For example, my TDEE for my sedentary lifestyle is about 2,100 calories per day. I burned about 700 calories on my run last night per my HRM. So, in order to gain half a pound a week I need to eat:

2,100 + 700 + 250 = 3,050 calories.

If I didn't run, I'd need to eat:

2,100 + 700 = 2,350 calories.

It'd be hard, but possible, for me to eat 3,050 calories. You'll find that many professional athletes (especially American Football Players) eat 5,000+ calorie diets. Michael Phelps was famously on a 10,000 calorie a day diet during his Olympic training.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Keep playing.
    1. You love it. (As do I)
    2. Cardio is good for you. Don't want to be ripped but unable to go up the stairs without gasping for air.
    3. As Wolfman said eat more calories. There is nothing wrong with cardio while bulking. You just have to eat more. if your gains have stalled, up intake by 250 and see where you are in a week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    saurabh26 wrote: »

If you want to gain weight, you have to be in a calorie surplus...a lot of running means you need to eat that much more to still gain weight.

There is no "correct" answer to your question...you could run less and eat less to maintain a surplus or you could run more and eat more to maintain a surplus.

i would agree with additional caveat, i would only minimize playing soccer if it is preventing you from recovering.